Fed up with Fairphone 2

I bought a Fairphone 2 because I really believe in the ethical aspects of the device. I knew it’d be a bit of a bumpy transition, but I never would have guessed I would have had so much troubles just out of the box. Since I got the phone I’ve had constant issues with it crashing, restarting, and getting super hot while in use. Apps like Snapchat, Facebook, and Instagram slow the phone down to a crawl and it becomes unusable.
I thought that maybe updating the phone might fix my problems, but just the simple act of updating the out-of-the-box OS has proven to be its own odyssey. The updater app crashes every time I try and download the update through the updater. I tried downloading the update on my device through a browser, and then opening it with the updater. This seemed like it worked, but when it prompted me to click RESTART to restart my phone and apply the update, the button was unresponsive. I tried restarting the phone multiple times and clearing the cache of the updater app, but nothing. Next, I tried following the guide on the fairphone site and downloaded the update on my macbook. Started up my phone in bootloader mode and ran the script but I keep getting the “no fairphone 2 found in fast boot mode”.
I’m at my wits end with this device. I’m not trying to do anything crazy.

Sorry to hear about your problems.

I don’t have a Mac so it’s all guesswork. Unfortunately there is no way to really make sure the phone is on bootloader mode other than having fastboot devices showing it found the phone.

I guess you already made sure the USB cable is a data cable (and not one for charging only)? You could also try a different USB port on the mac.

3 Likes

There is no way … yet.
The current beta version (here’s how to sign up) of the next update equips fastboot mode with several vibrations when it starts and blue LED.
That should distinguish it from a hanging splash screen and whatnot.

2 Likes

Try some different cables. I got various issues with my e-reader plus my MBPs (using microUSB) while the cables work on Windows/Linux.

2 Likes

I’m really sorry you had such a shitty experience. All I can say is: I’ve had mine for two and a half years, and have not had any of the problems you describe (the update to Android 7 has slowed the phone down somewhat, but it’s still quite usable). The reason I’m saying this is that I think you might have accidentally gotten a defective device, if I were you I would attempt to get Fairphone to replace your device. It’s very unlikely that a second device will have the same problems, and if it does, then you know there’s something else the matter, and then perhaps it makes sense to quit the entire thing. But perhaps try a replacement first!

3 Likes

Have you contacted Fairphone Support? If so, what did they tell you?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.