Fastboot on Fairphone 2

Hi there,
Trying to install Fairphone Open with Windows 10 on my PC.
A very simple action is required: “Boot your phone into fastboot mode (hold the Volume Down button while you power on the phone), it will display a still screen with the Fairphone logo.”
After starting the flashing script. I get “No device found in fastboot mode”. From the Windows 10 device manager I get: “The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28) There are no compatible drivers for this device. To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver.” Yet when connecting the phone I get pop ups: “We’re setting up android” “Android is set up and ready to go”.
And then … the rabbit hole starts.

Why is everyone telling something different? Do I need ADB? Do I need SDK? Why doesn’t Fairphone take a stance and add some troubleshooting to the installation page?

Sigh.
I wondering; how did I once again end up here? I just want to use my phone. Not become a fairphone expert.
Thanks for any help.

With fastboot software you can flash images on your phone which is running in fastboot mode.

With adb you can reboot your phone running normally into fastboot mode from your PC. You can do the same from the phone itself without adb by <<Press and hold down the Volume down button while pressing the Power button>> (chapter 3 of the Installing FPOOS guide linked by you).

adb is not required for flashing images done by the Fairphone Open OS install script flash-for-windows.bat

Now only to see how to make your PC find the connected phone running in fastboot mode… Does it find the phone running normally when you connect it? In case you have adb installed, does adb devices list your phone? Or without installed adb, do you find your phone in the Windows explorer when you connect it?

By installing Fairphone Open you’re just doing your best to become one :wink:

3 Likes

But their posts show a route to get the driver installed via Windows Update. How about that?

Else … now that several driver packages are installed, they could also get into conflict with each other. Drivers for different phones which got connected to the same computer could play a role, too. I’ve seen something like this myself, although it was affecting MTP in my case back then, not fastboot…

2 Likes

Thanks Amber.
“Does it find the phone running normally when you connect it?”. Yes
“In case you have adb installed,” I just deleted it (see post of Anotherelk.
“Or without installed adb, do you find your phone in the Windows explorer when you connect it?” In normal mode? Yes. In fastboot mode? No.

Thanks AnotherElk,
Windows update: Yes. I forgot to mention it. It was the first thing I tried. Getting windows to fix it.
About the removal proces. In Device manger, what about:
Bluetooth > Fairphone FP2
Bluetooth > Fairphone FP2 Avrcp Transport (2 times in list)
Portable Devices > FP2 (2 times in list)
Sound video and game controllers > Fairphone FP2 A2DP SNK
Sound video and game controllers > Fairphone FP2 HAnds Free HF Audio

Thanks

In fastboot mode it’s normal FP2 cannot be detected by Windows Explorer. It supposed to be available only for fastboot software and be listed running fastboot devices from Windows command shell (assuming fastboot is in PATH or Windows does not give an error message that fastboot program cannot be found).

1 Like

Also, I don’t think that FP3 posts are relevant to you, since you are working on a FP2. They are very different concerning TWRP.

The issue here is fastboot for now. FP3 posts might be relevant if they cover generic issues Windows 10 might have with fastboot because of driver problems :wink: .

The quote is about a generic repair, it worked for me and other users without any mention of what you found additionally. Also those entries don’t sound like they would be related to fastboot trouble. Perhaps you could first try with leaving all this stuff there, and if the issue persists, delete those entries, too?

Hi AnotherElk,
Ok thanks
“Connect the phone again. (Windows should install the necessary drivers then automatically. They can be named after a different device, this doesn’t matter.)” As it is the first thing I did, not to my surprise not working. When connecting the phone I get pop ups: “We’re setting up android” “Android is set up and ready to go”. But when I check in Device Manager: “The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28) There are no compatible drivers for this device. To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver.”
" Then try fastboot devices again." I don’t understand what this is. I extracted following file from Fairphone website: “fp2-A10-sibon-22.02.0-rel.0-manual.zip”. From this I’m running “flash-for-windows.bat”. I get “No device found in fastboot mode”.

I ran the command “fastboot devices” on the windows command line (as administrator). Nothing happens, I get immediately returned to the command prompt.

To find fastboot drivers your FP must be connected in Fastboot. Then go to Windows update and check manually for updates, go to additonal and then driver and install everything with Googel/kedacom/Bootloader whatever shows up

Edit: addressed here as well

3 Likes

Hi Amber,
“In fastboot mode it’s normal FP2 cannot be detected by Windows Explorer.” Then why does the fairphone open installation page says it should be?

Windows Explorer is not the device manager

4 Likes

Hi yvmuel and Amber,
Yes I misread. Please ignore. My comment “Then why does the fairphone open installation page says it should be?”
@Amber: you say "In fastboot mode it’s normal FP2 cannot be detected by Windows Explorer.” OK. I was just answering your question "do you find your phone in the Windows explorer when you connect it?” as completely as I could. I did not indicate I expected FP to come up in explorer in fastboot mode.

Hi yvmuell,
Windows update: it was the first thing I tried.
I tried again and it worked: now a google … driver was present!
Thanks for insisting.
Maybe I overlooked it the first time or maybe the cleanup of AnotherElk helped.
Yippie!

3 Likes

You’ve answered the question about FP2 in normal mode appearing in Windows Explorer previously already :wink: Even appearance in fastboot mode you’ve answered already in the same post.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.