Fairphone owners in the USA (FP2 FP3 FP4 FP5)

What happens if you turn off VPN?

Sorry for the late response. That seems to have solved the issue. I never understood why this takes two days to set up on FP4. I never had that as a problem. I would like to thank you for the suggestion that the VPN was the issue. This should work after a while with the VPN off. I just like to be safe online when shopping, Streaming content, and while gaming. Just remember that in the 90ā€™s all we had to worry about was Viruses and malware when using the internet. A good anti-virus program took care of that. Now today we have add a VPN to browse safely on the web. And that causes issues with things once in a while. Funny how that happens when it works and where it doesnā€™t. The more you know right. :slight_smile:

FCC has closed my complaint. Because ATT refuses to fix the problem with WiFi calling, the next step is to hire a lawyer and file a formal complaint, for $540.00 plus lawyerā€™s fees.

The FCCā€™s informal complaint process provides consumers with an easy and informal way to raise issues with their providers.

The role of the FCC in the informal complaint process is to facilitate a conversation between the consumer and their provider to try to address the consumerā€™s issue.

In some instances, the consumerā€™s issue is not resolved to the consumerā€™s satisfaction once the informal complaint process has concluded. We regret that you were not satisfied with attempts by FCC staff to facilitate a dialogue between you and your provider to address your issue.

At this point, you might want to contact your provider directly to see if you and the provider can arrive at a resolution that is acceptable to you or pursue more formal legal options.

You also have the option to file a formal complaint with the FCC if your issue involves a violation of the Communications Act. Here is what to expect from the formal complaint process:

Formal complaint proceedings are like court proceedings.
The filing fee for filing a formal complaint is $540.00 but is subject to change.
You must comply with specific procedural rules, appear before the FCC, and file legal documents that address legal issues.
Attorneys almost always represent parties filing formal complaints, and legal fees, in addition to the $540.00 filing fee, can be substantial.

Complete information on how to file a formal complaint can be found in sections 1.720 through 1.740 of the FCCā€™s rules, located at 47 C.F.R. Ā§Ā§ 1.720 ā€“ 1.740 (see Federal Register :: Request Access). Please review Section 1.718 of the Commissionā€™s rules, 47 C.F.R. Ā§ 1.718, for additional information on applicable deadlines.

For a more detailed description of the formal complaint process, see EB - Market Disputes Resolution Division | Federal Communications Commission

The informal complaint process has now concluded. You will receive no further status updates on your informal complaint from FCC staff.

You have it a lot worse with AT&T. At least my issue was a simple fix. I donā€™t know why we canā€™t just set it up in settings instead of having to verify it with the company every time I wish to Make or receive a phone call. I know having that setting turned off leads to more dropped calls than when itā€™s turned on. I think itā€™s a shame that the world canā€™t agree with a simple 5G standerd specifactions that the whole world can use. Just like the world did with USB way back in the day. Do you agree that there should be a standard even for simple things like WI-Fi calling? Then the world would be a better place overall. This is my opinion anyway.

My Fairphone 5 is using standard Fairphone OS and works with Consumer Cellular/ATT with 2 exceptions. WiFi calling is blocked by ATT.
Hotspot also does not work. I have asked Consumer Cellular to ask ATT why Hotspot is not working.
I can turn Hotspot on. I can connect to that hotspot, but the hotspot does not go anywhere. Traceroute only takes a couple of hops, then stops.

I think that ATT just chooses to block certain features, because they have the power to do so.

1 Like

I agree. Thatā€™s every company in a nutshell. They do like holding back things and normally put them behind a pay wall. I still think that they should go back to doing business like the 90ā€™s. Where we owned the property we bought. We can take our things to get fixed. And they didnā€™t take anything digital away like they do now. I sure do miss the old days for more than just this, but things today are worse because of subscriptions, saying we bought a license instead of purchasing the product, and taking away the ability to repair our products. I hope that youā€™d agree with that statement and opinion. Thatā€™s why Iā€™m staying with FarePhone for the ability to repair what we own. We shouldnā€™t have to contribute to the E-waste pile with repairable tech. More companies need to adopt this practice, but more than likely it will take passing laws to do so.

1 Like

Hi daniw, Iā€™m in the same position as you were a few month ago, except Iā€™m with O2. They piggyback off T-mobile and AT&T in the US, so Iā€™m hoping Iā€™ll be fine to roam, but I wondered how your experience was?

Ah, yes it ended up being totally fine! So that was several hours of research I didnā€™t need to do :joy:

We were trying to activate a Fairphone 5 using a T-Mobile US eSIM and having problems. Technical support attempted to activate it but while doing so the phone wanted a QR code. T-Mobile tech support said they didnā€™t use QR codes any more and told us to enter ā€œT-Mobile.gdsb.netā€ in the manual eSIM setup box. That didnā€™t work. They then told us the eSIM seemed to be locked, but nothing on the device indicates it is locked.

Another T-Mobile person, at customer service, told us (after we read her the IMEI) that the phone was simply, ā€œnot compatible.ā€

The T-Mobile site for checking compatibility shows that it the device is not blocked on their network and is fully compatible but ā€œā€¦May not be eSIM-compatible.ā€

I originally came here to ask for help ā€“ but subsequent searches revealed this Reddit thread which contains the QR code. It turns out that while T-Mobile may no longer provide the magic QR code, if you have it and scan it your eSIM will work. The QR code is below.

TMO-QR

We also decoded the QR code and are now sure that entering ā€œLPA:1$T-MOBILE.GDSB.NET$ā€ into the manual setup box would also have worked if we had known.

Hopefully this information will help others in this situation.

8 Likes

I will be getting the Fairphone 5 via ups next week from the clove website that sells/ships to usa. Anyway, I have a Samsung Note 9 512GB unlocked and currently have Mint sim in it with active service. Has anyone with active service from a previous phone been able to just insert it into FP5 and have it work?

Iā€™m currently working in the US for three weeks. After a few days, my FP5 is performing well. I have both a physical Dutch SIM and an eSIM from Keepgo (a worldwide operator). The functionality is good, even on 5G. While Iā€™m aware of potential battery life issues with 5G, I havenā€™t tested it myself as Iā€™m mostly connected to WiFi every day. However, during periods without WiFi, Iā€™ve had successful connections (although I havenā€™t made any calls during these times, so that aspect remains untested).

Mostly of the time Iā€™m connected with T-mobile or AT&T (based in Texas).

When will FP5 come to the US??

What do you mean exactly also with your title to this topic (I moved btw) which was named ā€œwhen will FP4 get Android 13 or 14ā€. The FP4 already has Android 13 and even 14 with custom ROM?
You can order the FP5 through reseller?

1 Like

I bought my FP5 while visiting England, coincidentally a week or 2 after FP5 was released. The phone came back with me easily. :grimacing:

My next step is to complain to CPUC, California Public Utility Commission about ATT blocked wifi calling. Donā€™t know whether that will help.

FairPhone4 user in the woods of New Hampshire, USA here. T-Mobile reports 5G just about everywhere weā€™ve gone so far, some just a couple bars (-105 db).

Just switched to T-Mobile and saving $100/month! Hoping for the best.

My Murena stock FP4 is on build 1.20-s-20240220382012-stable-FP4. Android 12 is the version reported.

FP5 not in US yet.

Android 13 (T) is availbale, however not yet as stable version

And the FP4 Murena US project was a pilot project

FYI, Iā€™ve just listed my FP4 for sale in the market place forum here. My phone is located in Iowa.