Fairphone on Spark NZ?

Hi!
I’m a New Zealander looking to buy a fairphone, and I was wondering whether the Fairphone works on Spark’s 4G network?
willmyphonework.net says it might work so that’s why I’m asking here.
Thanks

2 Likes

Hi, I moved your post here because #participate:local is for #localcommunities (e.g. Fairphoners meeting in real life).

1 Like

Hi Kiwi-Alice and welcome to the Fairphone forum :wink:
I do not know if my information is useful to you, but I don´t want to keep it secret.
I used my FP2 with a resale sim card in the networks of Telstra and Vodafone in early 2017 in Australia and it worked well. Maybe the frequencies in :australia: OZ and :new_zealand: NZ are the same, so it could be a useful information for you.

2 Likes

I use a 2Degrees sim card in New Zealand. It works prefect.

4 Likes

You should be fine in urban areas. But FP2 doesn’t support the lower frequencies which Spark uses in some rural areas (3G on 850 Mhz / 4G on 700 MHz). So you might experience reduced coverage there.

4 Likes

2degrees operates a 3G (UMTS 900MHz and 2100MHz) and 4G (LTE 700MHz, 900 MHz and 1800 MHz) network.
A FP2 uses:
Network Technology: 2G / 3G / 4G LTE-Advanced
GSM/GPRS/EDGE: Quad-band: 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz
WCDMA: Bands 1 (2100 MHz), 2 (1900 MHz), 8 (900 MHz)
As you will know there are areas in New Zealand where you have no coverage at all.

3 Likes

I used my Fairphone 2 on Spark’s network throughout NZ for almost a year and had quite good coverage overall. Tried Skinny and Spark SIM cards and both worked fine with 4G apart from some rural areas where the signal was weak or missing. The phone sometimes switched to 3G or even 2G but that’s presumably the network provider’s ‘fault’ and not Fairphone’s.

4 Likes

Hi everyone!
I just arrived in NZ (apologies I didn’t think about offering to bring FP2 in advance!) and I’ve been reading the information you posted about FP2 with Spark, 2degrees and so on. While it was really useful, I wanted to ask how long did it take for the sim to become active? I’m asking because I went to Spark shop yesterday and asked for a test sim card and the very nice guy tried his work one and it wouldn’t work.
I know it can sometimes take time to pick up signal, so I’m wondering if I should try it longer or just go to 2degrees or skinny alltogether?
Thank you so much in advance!
Marta
Ps: I’m loving your country already :slight_smile:

1 Like

The 2Degrees sim worked immediately. I was at 2Degrees (shop8) besides at the Civic theatre, Wellesleystreet (near the corner with Queenstreet) in Auckland. Matthew helped us.

Thank you, Lidwien! Heading there today :slight_smile:
Have a good day!

I am always extremely envious when I hear somebody went to NZ.
Have a good time there, go for a hike on north island and say hallo to the hobbits.

1 Like

Aw thank you! Sending you good kiwi vibes :smiley:

1 Like

I can recommend ziplining the (Original) Canopy tour in Rotorua. Zipline in combination with ecological restoration.
Another recommendation on the North Island is Te Waiariki Ngawha Hot Springs. Thermal springs back to basic.

2 Likes

If you are Lord OF The Ring fan there are some spots and tours you should do.
Are you visiting both islands?

Sorry, I missed that. I did visit both islands, yeah, amazing country with amazing people. Wishing to com back at some point! :slight_smile:

Btw: my experience in NZ with sim card: had to use 2 degrees, spark didn’t work, sim only worked if the second sim was disabled :woman_shrugging:

With my first SIM from HollandsNieuwe and the second SIM from 2Degrees I was able to use both SIMs when I was in NZ last year.

You are never done visiting this beautiful country. I´ve become addicted to it on the very first visit.

1 Like

Interesting, so it works sometimes! Thanks