Fairphone on Peertube?

Any chance we’ll se you on Peertube and other platforms of the fediverse?

1 Like

I can only speak for myself, but forum, twitter and mastodon is enough to keep me busy :wink:

1 Like

Sure. Here’s the thing though. Since Peertube uses the same protocol as Mastodon (ActivityPub), Both platforms communicate between each other and I’m pretty sure you can easily set it up so every comment under a Peertube video of yours shows up on Mastodon and you can reply directly from Mastodon so you wouldn’t have to jump between platforms once the video has been uploaded on Peertube. This doesn’t require any bot or duplication of data at all, it’s a core aspect of ActivityPub. I can look this up more thoroughly if you want.

2 Likes

Thanks for offering your assistance. Maybe this is something for the official company social media team. They have videos up on youtube already, so putting them up on peertube as well might be worthwhile.

1 Like

Sounds good. Here’s my idea. Peertube is currently in v1.0 beta 16 and should soon(ish) release the stable 1.0 version which is a much awaited milestone. When this version is up and running and updated on most instances, maybe I can reach the social media team to suggest them to have a go at it?

1 Like

Peertube 1.0 has been released this Monday, so most active instances should have upgraded by now.
How can I reach the social media team ?

The social media team is not listed under /about/contact-us/, so I guess it’s best to contact them via social media. :wink:

1 Like

Here is the Mastodon account. On Twitter it’s @Fairphone as well :wink:

1 Like

I already asked on mastodon a few weeks ago and have gotten no response:

I’m not sure whether @Monica.Ciovica actively reads Mastodon.

1 Like

My apologies for the late reply. I only received one notification over Mastodon, for the message you sent today. For the time being, we are not exploring other channels. If we will make any changes, I will make sure the news is shared over the forum/social media channels/newsletter.
Best, Monica

2 Likes

Message received :ok_hand:.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hey. I went ahead and created an unofficial/community account for Fairphone @WeAreFairphone@queertube.org. The early videos Fairphone published on the other tube site are licensed CC-BY-NC-SA, so I can share them as long as I credit Fairphone and don’t make any money off them.
If anyone from the community has Fairphone related videos they want to share I can upload them there too.

About peertube-mastodon integration: @ChameleonScales It doesn’t seem to work quite as well as you said I’m afraid.
I sent follow requests to my queertube account as well as the WeAreFairphone channel from my mastodon account, but can’t accept them from the peertube side.
And the video appeared on mastodon undter the hashtag #fairphone, but not as posted by @WeAreFairphone but as posted by me (and without a preview).
Commenting from mastodon seems to work well though.

Ugh.
That’s the biggest problem I have with PeerTube. It’s too much federated.

Decentralisation is a great thing, but PeerTube completely messed that up. Not every instance follows every other instance. I get that this shouldn’t necessarily be the case if you want to have your instance only for private purposes, but many instances just follow a couple of others and also just have a couple of following instances, so you need several accounts to be able to watch every available video and subscribe to the creators channels.
If they really want to become a good alternative to YouTube, they need to fix this by e.g. releasing a public register with every instance that can be used to sync content between them. Of course, a prominent opt-out button is needed when creating a new instance.

2 Likes