Fairphone novelty (novelties?) to come on 30 September 2021

I won’t buy it because my FP2 is running just fine, but if it makes more people buy a Fairphone instead of some other new phone, then I think that’s a good thing.

8 Likes

Every medal has two sides, of course. Creating a demand for a new device, although the old one is still working and supported, is not, what I expect from Fairphone.
If you are not tempted to buy one, that’s good. But other people will.

4 Likes

While I understand the environmental resource issues, more FP phones in circulation that are Fairtrade is what I am happy about as it means more people are taking on the issue of the working environment for specific groups of people and not what I see a no-goer ~ the environment.

2 Likes

I don’t think a FP4 would be that big of an issue. Today you can start seeing low-tier smartphones with FP3+ spec. Many people who’d like to support Fairphone and buy a FP3 in 2022 might decide to not do that because of the low-specs for 2022. To reach out to new people I think a new FP4 might be a very good idea. I don’t think people that had bought and own a working FP2 will jump to buy a FP4 just to buy a new model: fairphone is not like apple and fairphoners are different too.
A friend of mine had an accident and broke its 5 years old huawei. He asked me for a new phone with 5G because “I want a small phone that lasts 5-6 years and I think by that time I’ll need 5G”. I won’t discuss his claim. This is how many people think. And I cannot recommend them a FP3+ unfortunately.
I think Fairphone is doing a good job supporting the 2015-designed 6 years old Fairphone2. And a new phone maybe can make the grow. Even the software team.

9 Likes

The FP1 came out in 2013, the FP2 in 2015. Perhaps the FP3 was an exception (and it was originally supposed to come out in August 2018 IIRC), and seeing how the sales of the FP2 went down in early 2019, I think Fairphone wouldn’t want to wait too long for the FP4.
Nevertheless, I’m wondering if they would then keep on selling the FP3(+). I hope so, if the FP4 is really 700€. It would at least let the choice to the users to buy a FP3(+), at least until stocks last (which I expect to be soon depleted).

10 Likes

I promised the same and i really like my FP2 but over the years i think i “need” a new one.

1 Like

It’s the Fairphone 4 5G! :raised_hands:
https://www.wi-fi.org/content/search-page?keys=fairphone
https://api.cert.wi-fi.org/api/certificate/download/public?variantId=104746

8 Likes

Wow nice find @madbilly ! :star_struck:

3 Likes

At Wi-Fi Alliance, the entry for the “Fairphone 4 5G” has disappeared. Yesterday it was still there. One of those too early disclosures of technical details. A Leak.

7 Likes

There are more people who find this.

2 Likes

Fairphone 4 should use something from current SoC on the market, because GPU drivers updates from the Google play store, or another way is next important point to keep phone alive on long time.

Minimal SoC from Qualcomm is Snapdragon 768G who supports GPU updates.

Snapdragon 768G can be great for normal variant.

“Plus” variant can use Snapdragon 780G just for more performance, better 5G and just simply “show” people what is the possible without china spying, hurting Earth, respect privacy, security.

I asked so many people around me, they likely go for Google Pixel 4a, because he have better SoC from Qualcomm.

1 Like

lol, omg, so interesting to see all this speculation. It’s all over the place. I have no idea, but I could add a few thoughts. Maybe a tour at a factory or a helpdesk, with a meet & greet? Maybe a gift package, like phone + accesoires?

Ok, it’s a bit of a stretch here but… FP4 seems to have Android 11. Does this mean Android 11 is coming to FP3 aswell in the near future?

There were some rumors, that Android 11 might come to the FP3(+) in the second half of 2021.

4 Likes

Final third of this article:

2 Likes

Probably

There’s a September surprise on the cards,
there’s been no security update for July, August
@Incanus says the second half of 2021 rather than the last quarter.

So do Fairphone want to update A10 for a September security update, probably as well as push A11 ~ maybe ~ maybe not.

Maybe things will fall to ground in few a weeks:)

1 Like

I guess and I hope, it’s the other way round and the FP2 was the exception. The FP1 wasn’t developed by Fairphone, but only licensed. So the end of production was foreseeable and the development of the first own phone started early. The FP2 was presented in June 2015, could be ordered from July 2015, delivery started December 2015. The FP3 was presented August 2019, it could be ordered starting September 2019. So 2021 is much to early to release a FP4 in my opinion for a company with sustainability on its mind.
But anyway, we will see.

3 Likes

Last time I was able to deduct the exact SoC based on such an entry. This time I wasn’t quick enough to see the entry’s details. Oh well, I’m happy with my FP3 as main driver for now, and don’t need 5G for now. Though I’d prefer a smartphone with physical keyboard.

Oh they took it down…
…look what I found :wink:
https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:zQ-H90WG29oJ:https://api.cert.wi-fi.org/api/certificate/download/public%3FvariantId%3D104746+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&lr=lang_fr|lang_en
Does that help @JeroenH ?
Cheers :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It was also mentioned here: Fairphone 4 5G certified by the Wi-Fi Alliance - GSMArena.com news
I was thinking couple of weeks ago, that I will wait for FP4, as my FP2 will be 5 years in the winter. I just didn’t expect it to be so soon. Now I still think that I can manage with FP2 for a some time. Will see what FP4 will be like…

5 Likes