Fairphone novelty (novelties?) to come on 30 September 2021

Final third of this article:

2 Likes

Probably

There’s a September surprise on the cards,
there’s been no security update for July, August
@Incanus says the second half of 2021 rather than the last quarter.

So do Fairphone want to update A10 for a September security update, probably as well as push A11 ~ maybe ~ maybe not.

Maybe things will fall to ground in few a weeks:)

1 Like

I guess and I hope, it’s the other way round and the FP2 was the exception. The FP1 wasn’t developed by Fairphone, but only licensed. So the end of production was foreseeable and the development of the first own phone started early. The FP2 was presented in June 2015, could be ordered from July 2015, delivery started December 2015. The FP3 was presented August 2019, it could be ordered starting September 2019. So 2021 is much to early to release a FP4 in my opinion for a company with sustainability on its mind.
But anyway, we will see.

3 Likes

Last time I was able to deduct the exact SoC based on such an entry. This time I wasn’t quick enough to see the entry’s details. Oh well, I’m happy with my FP3 as main driver for now, and don’t need 5G for now. Though I’d prefer a smartphone with physical keyboard.

Oh they took it down…
…look what I found :wink:
https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:zQ-H90WG29oJ:https://api.cert.wi-fi.org/api/certificate/download/public%3FvariantId%3D104746+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&lr=lang_fr|lang_en
Does that help @JeroenH ?
Cheers :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It was also mentioned here: Fairphone 4 5G certified by the Wi-Fi Alliance - GSMArena.com news
I was thinking couple of weeks ago, that I will wait for FP4, as my FP2 will be 5 years in the winter. I just didn’t expect it to be so soon. Now I still think that I can manage with FP2 for a some time. Will see what FP4 will be like…

5 Likes

Thanks! So it’s been certified for 2.4GHz and 5GHz, but not for 6GHz. Also not for .ax support. Assuming they don’t want to add an external 5G modem, I’m going to speculate that it’s either the Snapdragon 765, 765G or 768G. The 800 series that has built-in 5G also supports way faster wifi than the single-band stuff that the certificate refers to. But, it’s a bit ambiguous, so I won’t hold my hand in the fire for it.

3 Likes

Sorry to disappoint you, but you are all wrong :wink: Fairphone is talking about a news that will change the industry, so an FP4 or Android 11 for the FP3 would be a bit too little.
I’ll tell you what’s coming: Sailfish OS on the Fairphone 3 including Android support! An independent operating system with the additional possibility to run Android apps. As a choice instead of Android.

2 Likes

I really want to see something like

Fairphone 4 - cheaper, smaller, less performance,
Fairphone 4+ - more expensive, bigger, more performance, better cameras

2 Likes

There is a topic about such matters

1 Like

I’ve read some news about a possible new fairphone gen, whith the new 5G.

It’s said the new phone was seen into the wifi alliance database and will come with 5G and will repeat a mid-range Qualcomm processor.

¿what do you think about this posible new fairphone?

1 Like

I moved your post here.
We’ve read the same news here :wink: .

4 Likes

I’ve been looking for different Qualcomm 5G mid-range SoCs and the only one I found is the Qualcomm Snapdragon 690.

This SoC would be compatible whith WiFi 6, USB-C 3.1, QuickCharge 4+, FHD display @120Hz or QHD @60Hz.

In my opinion if FairPhone 4 comes with this SoC, can come with many good thecnologies to compite in market.

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon-690-5g-mobile-platform

1 Like

ok, I’ll answer here

same size, please!!! so you could upgrade from Fairphone 4 to Fairphone 4+!!!

With the Wi-Fi Alliance leak and all the hype and speculation now, I would find it very funny if at the end it’s not the Fairphone 4 5G what’s coming this September.
But I’m at a loss about what else it could be and will just wait for the announcement.

7 Likes

While Sailfish is dead for long, running android apps on degoogled Fairphones has been available since Fairphone 1.

The trend alas within Farphone has bee to neglect this for the last two years, as, contrary to FP1 (degoogled was the default) and FP2 (no degoogle default but Fairphone themselves offered to download a degoogled version of th eOS), for FP3 they now have delegated this to /e/ OS (on the e/ website you can buy an FP3+ with /e/ preinstalled)

Let’s hope that /e/ will manage to install their OS on FP4. Although switching from android-10 to android-11 compatibility must be an enormous work for them…

P. S. I trusted Sailfish a lot years ago, I went up to donating a tablet’s worth for them at the time. Which is a lot of money.They are just dead, I fear.

1 Like

I wish a 765, 765G or 768G, but it’s more possible it comes with the 690 5G but i prefere the SoCs you said @RSpliet

Well, the degoogled OSes for FP1-FP3 all were based on Android, so no wonder they were able to run Android apps :wink:

They already have a working beta of Android 11 for 12 devices (FP2 and FP3 are among those).

5 Likes

Sailfish’s progress may be slow, but last time I put it onto a Sony Xperia XA2, I had Android support for Android 9, I think. Now they are at Android 10 and have 64 bit for specific devices.

Btw, I also invested in one of the tablets (never got one), and I still profit from that (OK, when my money seems to be gone, I was a little bit sad), because they turned my refund into licenses for Android support for Sailfish X on Sony Xperias.

2 Likes