✨ Fairphone 5 live stream ✨

Thanks @urs_lesse
Exactly! Fingerprint sensor is there :slight_smile: on the power button.

8 Likes

Lovely find! :smiley: Fairphone gives you 25% more hours a day! :+1: We mean it when we say longevity. :sunglasses:

11 Likes

Sure, some people will want to wait for an official statement…
But if modules of the FP5 would be interchangeable with the FP4 I’m pretty sure that such a huge breakthrough would have been mentioned in the release event or on the shop page.

5 Likes

Hi !
Great to see Fairphone launching new projects/ new phones. Juste for information, the first details I went to look for were the size and the weight (which might be pretty important criteria for me). I had to scroll a lot for size and did not find the weight. Something to add maybe ?
I was curious if it was smaller/ lighter than the 3 and rhe 4.
Thanks !

1 Like

But while this made me smile just like the CET/CEST confusion, the FP5 looks like a convincing device and the presentation was well made, so kudos for that. I like this conscious choice of the chipset off the beaten track to achieve the long-term-support goal - I hope it plays out nicely.

4 Likes

You could use magnetic adapters … 🏒 Canadian Fairphoners! 🇨🇦 - #153 by AnotherElk … at least if you don’t plan to use USB OTG devices or audio adapters often.

2 Likes

Its 212g, so about 13g less then the FP4.

3 Likes

By the way, while there are specifications in the Shop’s Fairphone 5 section, it took me a couple of seconds as well to find them. However, here’s a bit of official FP5 info, too (weight in the left column):

3 Likes

Then I will have to wait until Fairphone 6 or whatever comes along. My Xiaomi Mi 9 with Qi has still up to five days on standby after over four years, from up to seven days when it was new. Without Qi = Still “no” for me. Not even magnetic. I won’t go back to cable. I’d still use my Lumia 950 XL, but that one is used as playground for Windows 10/11 pro now after M$ ditched a good working phone OS right when it reached 10% market share in several European countries.

I’m preferring cabled charging, as wireless charging, if it is not positioned by magnets like MagSafe, is always a hassle. And it takes longer, generates more heat and so on.

8 Likes

For wireless charging I guess it makes sense to continue somewhere here (has been discussed several times already):
https://forum.fairphone.com/search?expanded=true&q=wireless%20charging

5 Likes

Depends! It has to be done right. Lumia 950 Xl and Apple are inefficient and get MUCH hotter, even overheat. My Xiaomi stays cool and charges even faster. Using the same old Nokia Qi charger bought for my Lumia.

Nice hardware. Awesome approach on an even more sustainable phone.
Sadly they are still not able to run propper software.
I think till they are able to handle software as they do in hardware, it’s a no for me.
Thats very sad, as I realy like fairphone as a brand and as for what they are standing.
But it is, as it is…so excited what to come though.

What do you mean by proper software? There’s e.g. lots of google-free android OS alternatives out there, and there are already efforts for the Fairphone 5, e.g. Fairphone partners with /e/ for that.

1 Like

Yes - but not everyone is able to flash / root the phone. And even though, I coud - I can’t quit on a native Android (f.e. for job reasons). And many more reasons.
If I buy a phone, I expect good software, which squeezes the best out of the hardware.

Ah, you mean you don’t like the Fairphone OS. Because if this was about Google-free, you don’t need to flash, as you can buy the Fairphone with /e/ pre-installed from murena.

3 Likes

Oopsi something wrong in this article… :grin:

Das Fairphone 5 ist das erste Smartphone des Herstellers mit 5G.

(Translation: The Fairphone 5 is the manufacterer’s first Smartphone with 5G.)

3 Likes

Yap - the FP OS (including system Apps like the camera) has major issues.
Bought the phone as it was released. no /e/ at that point.
But before coming to off topic - I just think, that awesome hardware and the amazing approach on fair hardware is just outstandig. But if the software is not on a same high standard - it’s not worth much.
Having a 50mp camera is not worth anything, if you can’t use it as it is ment.

Does the fingerprints meets all the security standards of Android 13?

What is interesting: The reviews from Golem and ComputerBase seem to use an older FP5 Camera App/FairphoneOS than the review from Digitec: These pictures are way better - especially the night mode and the ultra-wide-angle lens.

6 Likes