Fairphone 4 WiFi calling

Hi there,

I’m very new to the world of fairphone so I hope this isn’t a stupid question…

Can anyone tell me why my Wifi Calling icon is greyed out please? (see screenshot below) I have contacted my provider and they have confirmed that all of their sim cards have wifi calling enabled.

Many thanks,
Paul

Edit: I’ve also added a screenshot of my mobile network settings below (GoMo is my provider)

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I wonder if you have
a) Enabled Wi-Fi calling on the phone
b) Been in an area where you have a network signal so it can negotiate a Wi-Fi initialisation.

I’m on EE in the UK where there is no network signal. I had to go somewhere there was a network signal before the option appeared on the phone.

a) Search for Wi-Fi calling in the header of the screen you show.

A11

Strange you don’t see the option on your screen shot
I have an FP3 running A10 and one running A11 on both I can see the option

Here’s what it looks like on A10

Without an EE network signal the option is greyed out, but having enabled it previously it still works, but to disable it I have to get a network signal to send a message to EE that I don’t want it, it seems ??

Thanks for the reply. I just don’t seem to have the “Wi-Fi Calling” option that you’re seeing when I search for “Wi-Fi” which seems odd to me. As you can see by the icons at the top of the screenshot below, I have network and Wi-Fi signal so there shouldn’t be a problem there.
I’m starting to think that this is a provider issue so I’ll see if I can borrow a phone from a friend to see if it works on a different brand of phone.

Thanks again for your reply.

All the best,
Paul

1 Like

Ditto, FWIW. To add more complexity to this: I’m fairly sure my provider (iD Mobile) hasn’t enabled wifi calling for any Fairphones, and all the wifi calling options I can see are greyed out, but I have sometimes received calls over wifi nonetheless! It’s very confusing.

1 Like

Do you have the standard Fairphone Operating System installed or any other like e/OS?

Just the operating system that came preinstalled on the phone.

I have just recently received my new Fairphone 4 and have been busy setting it up. I live in an area with incredibly bad signal reception and so having wi-fi calling is essential, but I am having the same issue as others: wi-fi icon is greyed out, no wi-fi calling option mentioned in the Settings under “Network and Internet” and not even half the settings showing that i see on the other screenshots here.

I am on 3 network and the wifi calling worked perfectly on my Samsung phone. Is it really possible that the wifi-calling can be networkAND device specific? I would have thought this was just an essential thing these days…

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I’m on EE in the Uk and had the same issue.

I had to wander off to find an EE signal. Once connected to EE via the network I could get the Wi-Fi icon to come ‘alive’

Apparently it has to be activated over the mobile carrier. That was two years ago and has been fine ever since.

All the best

Thanks Amoun. Watching another thread on this subject someone mentioned that they have had success by switching to a Smarty SIM card. Has anyone else tried this and has it worked OK? I went on to the 3 website and looked up about WiFi calling and they seemed to suggest that it was quite handset specific. It looks like they support wifi calling for Fairphone 2 and 3, but not yet for Fairphone 4 and there even seems to be a suggestion that if you haven’t bought your handset from 3 it might not work!

1 Like

You can try the “hidden wifi calling” mode I’ve “discovered” (or, rather, formally described): WiFI calling on Virgin UK FP4 - #25 by peci1 .

1 Like

For anyone reading this thread it’s worth reminding that Wi-Fi calling is very much network-operator-specific, as well as requiring compatible devices. My own network operator (Free in France) doesn’t currently provide this service for FPs although FP4 is supposed to be “coming soon”…

It’s also worth reminding that for “handover” to take place properly, I’m pretty sure that both Wi-Fi and Mobile Data need to be activated:

Can you confirm @anon9989719 ?

3 Likes

maybe for the first wifi-calling initiation, however def not for ever.

1 Like

I don’t use hand over I manually switch when the mobile/Wi-Fi environment is up the job.

1 Like

[@pj_darcy have you checked with GoMo if they support WiFi calling?

According to Make calls over Wi-Fi - Phone app Help that could be the reason why it is not showing up in the settings

I do have GoMo (go-mo.ch) as well now.
They use the Salt network, so they rely on them.
So, see https://www.salt.ch/de/options-services/upgrade-repair/device-help?page=topic/wifi/wifi-calling-aktivieren/device
but the fairphone is not listed :frowning:
I sent salt.ch an email. would be nice if @pj_darcy do as well

After the update to Android 12 I found a (probably new?) option in Developer options: “IMS Settings Display”. If I turn it on, I get the Wifi calling options in normal mobile network settings. There I can turn wifi calling on/off.

1 Like

The option is also there if you do not activate the Dev option “IMS Settings Display”

Not for everybody :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.