Fairphone 4 specs OS options

Sorry - after all this advertising blabla I still do not find the tech spec…
(Why do I have to identify by google catchup to send an enquiry to support … and then a log-in required although I am only registered on the community - by google or fb haha !)

on my fb2 the OS is: The Fairphone Open edition is a pure Android experience, without the integrated Google Mobile Services (Google apps, Play store, etc.). Once you run our open source version of the software and you would like to install third party applications, there are several easy ways to do this.

is this the same for the f4 one ? - can I order it this way specifying the required OS etc ?

No. There is no Fairphone Open OS on the Fairphone 4.
However, there’s a partnership between Fairphone and the e foundation, so …

You can order the Fairphone 4 preinstalled with /e/OS at https://murena.com/.

Here’s what /e/OS is … /e/OS product description - a pro-privacy mobile operating system and cloud services.

There are other OS options, too, which you would have to install yourself, just as on the Fairphone 2 … see oslist.

5 Likes

OK - thanks - I’ll check… beside fair trade blabla I relied on google free /fb free and so on…
seems to get much more difficult than I thought :frowning:
Perhaps I’ll keep my Fp 2 for a while longer - I am too old of age to cope with all these tech questions …
(don’t get my printer installed on Ubuntu Mate, problems with installing Friendica and so on and so on…)
my rest of life is just too short for all this mess :wink:

If you happen to have #fairphoneangels in the vicinity (<- see #angelsmap), you could ask them whether they would be able to help in person with the respective endeavour.

1 Like

You can also order a FP4 with preinstalled iodéOS: https://iode.tech/en/shop/fairphone-4-en/

Don’t see what’s difficult here. Just order from iodéOS or Murena and use the Google free phone…

4 Likes

Murena is storing on CLOUDS ? the other OS, too ?
comment of our IT commentator and satirist:
I’ve been getting headaches lately from how obviously stupid people are. If these would be at least errors on a level, where one can argue something. But no!

My current end-boss in terms of obviously stupid IT homeopathy is cloud encryption.

OK, quick thought experiment. You go on vacation and ask your neighbor to water your plants. In return, you give him the key.

Hopefully you realize right away, and without me having to explain it in any way, that the neighbor can come into your apartment and do things from then on. Getting the key back does not help, because he may have made a duplicate key.

Once you give away the key, only lock swapping helps.

But what do the cloud people do now? They have the problem that your software runs on their hardware, and software cannot protect itself against attackers with physical access to the hardware. In principle, no. Not “we don’t know how.” Yes, we do. We can’t.

Software is a list of things. You give it to the hardware, and the hardware executes it. If someone else controls the hardware, they control your software.

There’s no way around that. That’s why DRM keeps getting cracked, and that’s why Intel and ARM are waging a war against their customers, gradually taking more and more of the control of the hardware away from them.

So what are the cloud folks doing? They’re diluting water! Hey, we put a button here. “Enable encryption.” That’s kind of like the “Activate Shields” button on the set of Star Trek. It doesn’t do anything and everybody knows it. There’s no shield. We’re all just pretending.

Whereas with Star Trek at least we’re entertained, with the cloud it’s just a rip-off. If the cloud encrypts, then the cloud has the key. You can use it to encrypt and decrypt. As long as the cloud provider has ever seen the key, even briefly, that is no protection against the cloud provider, and that is exactly what is being sold.

OK Fefe, this may not help against the evil admin at the cloud provider, but it does help against the Chinese hacker who hacks the cloud? No, it doesn’t, because the cloud decrypts it for you. If he can log in as you, or give you an SQL injection or whatever, then he has full access, just like without encryption.

OK, but does that at least help against the cleaning help from the Iranian secret service, who steals the tape with the backup? Yes, if the key is not on the tape, which is shockingly often the case. But we are not talking about tapes but about S3 buckets right now. They’re attached to the web. Why would anyone want old backups when they can get real-time access?
and so on …
Translated with DeepL Translate: The world's most accurate translator (free version)

Murena cloud is an option. You don’t have to use it.
IodéOS doesn’t provide cloud storage at all (afaik).

6 Likes

Precisely, it’s as simple as that, almost a no-brainer.
Read the text, respect the order of each letter and - you easily got it understood.
I don’t know where some people gather the false information that using Murena//e/ OS cloud service is “mandatory” and activated by default…

Thanks for the correct statement. Maybe make it a sticky post…

And btw. my FP2 turns 7 years in a few days :ok_hand:

3 Likes

As you quote fefe at length, I’ll just remind you that he prides himself to try to teach media competence and reading with comprehension to his audience.

You’ll figure out a modus operandi for your future smartphoning somehow. Have fun.

2 Likes

OK - thanks to all of you for the hints and clarifications. :slight_smile:

haven’t used ubuntu so much, but usually you just search for your printer in the package manager and install the driver. than in cups you can add it, localhost:631
i don’t remember, but on arch it went basically automatic after i installed the driver.
if you get stuck with ubuntu stuff, their help stuff is really bad, check out the arch wiki instead, diffent package names but all the info still works for all distros. on duckduckgo just type !arch cups :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t give up that early. More than half a year ago, I bought another phone model with /e/OS from Murena for my mother, who is not at all tech-savy, and all works well. She’s not a demanding user of the phone, but even apps like AnyDesk (to let me troubleshoot her questions from 500kms away) work without issues.

I definitely consider buying FP4+/e/ from Murena when support for my FP2+FPOOS runs out (this year).

Danke & Grüße von
nobi

2 Likes

thanks to davidzx - I’ll try arch cups … tried everything else and my printer sits there idle for over a year now :frowning:
and thanks to nobi
my old FP2 is falling into pieces anyway (screen, camera, microphone…) … let it fall down too many times I guess :wink: … only some things got repaired with this fix-it turnscrew … I’ll see if I give it a try :slight_smile:

@virtualnobi means to avoid any software issues installing Murena it is better to buy it directly from

@davidzx
thanks a lot for the CUPS hint on Arch… perhaps the problem was that I did not install the cups-pdf
then I deleted all previous printers I had installed … only using the drivers I had downloaded 2 year ago… and now it seems to work … hurray ! after roundabout 2 years - I nearly gave it up
Cups looks like a mystery for normal users (also saw endless chats about that problem on other sites :wink:

the next day it did not work again… I am fed up
posted this on a social media site:

bye bye linux
after years I give up - no #debian no #knoppix no #ubuntu (especially not #ubuntu-mate )
it’s not that I am not eager to search through sites looking for some helpful advice - and often it has been helpful
but after 2 years of trying to get #cups working I am pissed off
yesterday it worked (by chance) today nothing … no time to switch through menus after menus to get one page into #print
(by the way the office org /libre office package instructions are as deliriously unhelpful as all the hints I got these last years about printing)
and my time on this planet is getting short … I put a year ago some shitty comments on this site about these nerds with their wonderful “constructions” which only make the things more complicated than it should be
internet, print, that’s all
so: no consolation or again endless hints of howtos, please …
welcome NSA
unquote

just imagine: Knoppix in a way was a revolution (!) 15 years ago improving usability in a way unknown before
(only that later I saw that the rw rights were… a bit… chaotic)
but what worked was_ document -click-print

I have bought one a laptop.de from there with Windows - some guys understood the problem with these f… nerds who program things which you only can get running working for days running through forums of every kind.

just open doc- print-icon- print - nothing more… no chance

it is a usual experience that all these idealistic people programming care a sh… about usability - except for computer games I guess - LOL
(again click- print and not running through terminals, commands, downloads, folders to find the print-job and still not get it running)

that is the normal everyday experience … we have SAP at my work - but we do all manually , because our SAP is a hove of shit - completely ruined over 20 years …manually means changing thousands and thousands of lines per order by hand…

so a used Windows laptop for 100 bucks will arrive within these days
the laptop will only be used offline for printing (that was an expensive printer…)

continuing with my PC with Ubuntu-Mate and still wondering if I’ll buy a new fairphone from Murena when I am stuck with all these wonderfull bullsh… inventions by our nerds programming nothing feasible for no one…
(I found one person asking for storing all fairphone in a cloud and he was attacked… that - for instance is one of the topics I want to have clarified before I got to fp 4 … have to search for more of his discussions before I decide…
consider this thread as solved (I’ll not post this one on another thread concerning cups - I have found so many people asking for a solution on this sooooooooooooo easy (apparently - or not) feature… that I do not want to be numer 300k

Consider this thread as solved

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.