Fairphone 4 shutting down

AnotherElk
It reads like the normal SIM was switched for a friend’s normal SIM, and it didn’t help.

Yeah, both are normal SIM cards

3 Likes

Hi. How do you mean this? I ask in order to prepare.

I am using the same SIM card since 2013. It was originally a big chunky thing, and it was cut down to the nano size in 2016. It worked ever since with an S6, S8+ and S10. Should I expect it to not work with FP4?

Thats really quite old and your provider might send you a replacement for free. SIM cards can become/be faulty even if working good in other devices.

Edit: https://support.fairphone.com/hc/en-us/articles/4405062185489-FP4-Identify-and-solve-SIM-card-issues

However, for this topic here

8 Likes

Yes, as Yvonne says that’s old. What’s more, the FP4 requires a nano-SIM card, cutting down is not recommended, can cause endless problems. So it’s a good idea to change, make sure you get a nano. Shouldn’t cost much if anything.

2 Likes

Well, it costs going all the way to a store.

Per instructions, they don’t issue new SIM cards without seeing the ID. On one hand that keeps you safe. On the other, it requires going out into the crowds during a record covid peak. which isn’t really all that safe.

The SIM has worked so far across many phones, I will hold it against the FP4 if it won’t like the SIM.

1 Like

If the SIM has already worked for 5 years in nano size, and looks in good condition, it is likely to continue working.

It’s just that there’s a chance that some physical characteristic of a cut SIM gradually becomes outside tolerances, and you cannot fault a SIM reader for not reading it properly.

5 Likes

Also that SIMs are a bit like SD-cards, they degrade over time and can sometimes become faulty and create problems, and also die anywhen.

5 Likes

Hi Sara

I’m wondering if it’s just the display that stops working, or if the entire phone stops? I had similar symptoms to you before where the phone stopped responding (or so I thought), but it turned out to be just the display. One way to test this is to get someone to call you when it stops working.

My issue turned out to be the proximity sensor had some dirt in it, which was causing the screen to go black. The proximity sensor is a feature that makes the screen go dark when you hold the phone to your ear, but obviously we don’t want our phones to do it randomly!

hope that helps

4 Likes

That’s for that idea! Next time it shuts down I’ll try that. It sometimes seems as if it’s not completely dead because the fingerprint sensor gives off vibrations when touching it. Some other times nothing works…

1 Like

Also, update on my situation. I wiped everything off of my phone and started brand new. Every few hours I installed another app to see if everything is working. Yesterday I put in the SIM card, then more apps. Everything stable. Tonight I wanted to test my boundaries by putting my SD card in. I had a warning that it’s a slow card but I know that and want to get a new one soon. Android suggested to move some data right onto the SD card and I agreed. Took hours and it wasn’t even lot data I thought. My phone was laying next to me, 40% battery not charging. I picked it up and it was black. After turning it on all my data was lost in the process of moving it to the SD card. WhatsApp could be restored from yesterday’s backup so I didn’t lose a lot but it’s quite annoying.
As a side note I’ve got weird rustling in some voice messages I’m sending.
I am contacting support now

Sounds very much as if you used/fomated your SD card as “internal memory”. So is strongly discouraged! You should use it as portable memory.

7 Likes

Oh alright! Yeah I did that indeed…

There are a lot of reports here in the forum that this may lead to problems of any sort…

So by having the SD card removed and in the settings disconnected do you think the phone js now “safe” from problems? Or should I do a wipe down again? (I’m kind of used to it now…)

1 Like

Try if re-formatting the card as portable storage lets you use the phone without the shutdowns.

4 Likes

Well, I’m sorry you’re running in so many problems… :frowning:
Actually having the SD card disconnected and removed may help. But as you said the system has already moved things (apps/data) to the card you imho still might run into problems when using these apps and they are missing part of the data.
So honestly the most save way would be to do a wipe again (although I feel with you and the work to be done…).
You can use the SD card, but when asked (after a potential factory reset) please select the mobile use of it! Or you might insert it (without factory reset) and convert it to portable storage.

6 Likes

Firsts reports of known storage/functional issues to be added to the #sdcardguide then, it doesn’t only happens on FP3. I will do so.
I’m sorry that you had to be the first one to notice such issues @Sara_H :frowning:

5 Likes

I’m coming back here to tell you I have decided to send my fairphone back for a refund. The last few days I have spend every free minute trying to find solutions for problems and there just kept coming more. Today I lost all WhatsApp pictures of the last 2 years because of the wrongly formated SD card. Sadly the WhatsApp backup couldn’t restore them too.
I don’t have anything against some trial and error to look for solutions but I don’t want to be a pioneer when I just want a working phone.

I am so glad for all of you though! The support I got from all of you was amazing and to be honest without you I wouldn’t even have tried to find out what’s going on with my phone. Thank you guys so much! :green_heart:

8 Likes

Once you get a different phone, just remember to keep the SD card external/portable.
That an Android bug seems to make matters worse currently doesn’t change the fact that SD cards tend to become faulty, and when they do, the situation you experienced now can hit you with any other Android phone, too, if the SD card is used as Internal storage.

9 Likes

Hi , Sara, sorry to hear about your problem…
WhatsApp app pictures can be saved in Google foto’s apart frm sd card. Just select de WhatsApp image map to be backed up…
Stil have a nice day…