Fairphone 4 screen quality

I’ve bought my Fairphone 4 for the sake of the environment and to be able to change the pieces i need but i wasn’t expecting to get fooled. A week later the glass was heavily scratched. Attention i have investigated the surface after that, it was breadcrumbs, cookiecrambs from my kids, ok, ok, even if metalcrumbs by some miracle, isn’t it the gorilla glass 5 who should withstand it? I am the First gorilla owner guy and i got the first mini scratches on gorilla 1 after a couple of years of usage. Complete scam here. Cheap chinese glass.

With the number of FP4 owners, I am surprised somebody found out Fairphone lied on the glass one year after and not before… or maybe there is no lie from Fairphone :thinking:

8 Likes

Well, you might be surprised, the same way I am

By the way, I will make a shot with my work phone, so you can see

Questions have you? It is my Fairphone, purchased in december 2022

No lie, I can’t see any difference with other same specs screens. And even a victus one.

No screen is 100% scratch proof. You’ve got to be careful.

pro tip for future users: you can get 2 or 3 pack of glass screen protectors for literally $5 on ebay and similar

they do nothing for drops like marketing says, but great way to remove worry from scratches like this

4 Likes

Nicee, we can say in this case that no gorilla is breadcrumbs proof. I don’t care, i will just throw to the bin this piece of crap, no need to prove anything, I’ll grab a oneplus and have it for another 6 years. Cheers

Btw, i buy a gorilla glass 5 to buy screen protectors? Funny

expecting it to be magically immune to scratches is silly and wasteful imo

screen protectors are disposable, phones aren’t, just put a new one on every year and your screen will always be perfect

letting the actual screen get scratched is asinine

I have a feeling that you’re stuck in the ninetees guys. I do expect it to be scratchproof in 21st century, and breadcrumbs proof specifically, aka normal use

OK Bread Crumbs won’t scratch.

I do metal work and have to clean the magnetic adapter I have in the phones USB to remove steel fillings, and I work on the land with soil and build using sand etc. I carry the phone around in filthy pockets, hence the magnetic adapter to keep the USB port clean.

But I’ve never had any screen scratches of any note with any phone. Currently I am using a 28 month old FP3.

By the way Gorilla glass isn’t scratch proof but is tougher. You may have have a flawed piece of glass, but then as they are made in batches I would have thought others would be complaining too.

To say Fairphone lies is a bit much.
UPDATE: Thanks for changing the title :slight_smile:

Have you contacted them and asked them to look at the phone?

if you don’t contact them they can hardly be responsible, so see what they have to say.

4 Likes

If you use your OnePlus the way you did to your FP, it will get the same scratches. And you’ll say OnePlus are liars !

Finally a nicer response, i will contact the store, I’m a developer and I have 2 kids, the surface was crumby, but ComeOn, really? I was one of the first to buy Samsung Galaxy 1 with its first gorilla, it is less scratchy even now. 15 years later. I will go to the service, but i wanted to say it to everyone that they are cheated. This can be anything but not gorilla even 1

No, i exactly bought the Fairphone only because the battery on my oneplus 6 was low and it costed me quite a lot to change it, second thing was that for more than a year i wasn’t getting the updates. So, I wanted something to be able to keep even for longer. Did you know that oneplus 6 was hw better than Fairphone 4 mostly still? Yep, but i took this guy, paid more, to be able to not be stuck on battery or screen change. But i was cheated unfortunately.

Looks more like a scratched foil or screen protector for me. This is really the display itself? Should be a warranty case then

4 Likes

Come on, it’s just your use and experience, I have 2 FP3s and an FP4 with my daughter. She has a couple of very young ones who are messy and the phone gets thrown and chewed, with no problems.

I can see you seemed stressed but it seems to be just you, please don’t lump us all together in your mind, that’s a bit rude ~ I have not been cheated with any of the three phones.

It’s possible that a bit of hard quartz got to your screen, or something. If you send it to Faiphone they can test the screen if they like, but calling them liars and saying we have all been cheated is totally unreasonable and nigh on outrageous.

Sure words help explain the way a person feels and I get that, but I’m sure you can get a more fulfilling and useful response by being more considerate.

let’s hope Fairphone can provide an answer and maybe a new screen.

Take it easy and hope to hear you have it sorted soon.

All the best

1 Like

Are you sure you didn’t put your keys in the same pocket as your phone? Or something like that? Breadcrumbs don’t have the hardiness to damage the screen. Can you reproduce it? Of course that may mean that you add a scratch, but I think you’ll find out that breadcrumbs can’t damage the screen.

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxeAl5n74wqBrf1SocPMIcebti6YT9g2Ea

7 Likes

Here is an article about the Samsung galaxy S23 ultra so the latest flagship Samsung released: Galaxy S23 Ultra’s Gorilla Glass Victus 2 Is Not Scratch-Resistant; Owner Claims Flagship Received ‘Micro-Abrasions’ While Kept In the Pocket

What do you read ? Hard to break is different from scratch resistant.

2 Likes