Fairphone 3 OS Manual Installation gets stuck and doesn't finish

I’m trying to follow this guide to re-install Fairphone OS on my Fairphone 3, which previously had Lineage OS installed.

I successfully unlocked the bootloader and booted into fastboot. But when I run the flash_fp3.command, it never finishes and just gets stuck here:

*** Fairphone 3 flashing script ***

INFO: The procedure will start soon. Please wait...
INFO: You are using macOS.
INFO: Validating the integrity of the package.
      This might take a while. Please wait...
INFO: Validation complete.
INFO: Looking for connected device(s)...
INFO: One Fairphone 3 in fastboot mode found (serial number: xxx).
Sending 'aboot_a' (1646 KB)                        OKAY [  0.070s]
Writing 'aboot_a'                                  OKAY [  0.028s]
Finished. Total time: 0.144s
Sending 'aboot_b' (1646 KB)                        OKAY [  0.060s]
Writing 'aboot_b'                                  OKAY [  0.028s]
Finished. Total time: 0.122s
Rebooting into bootloader                          OKAY [  0.006s]
Finished. Total time: 0.006s

What I tried:

• Boot the phone, maybe it succeeded already? It didn’t…
  • Cancel and try again
  • Wait for 1h
  • Download and try the previous version
  • Inspect the command script to see if I can find the issue (couldn’t find any “rebooting into bootloader” line or similar)
  • Search this forum (didn’t find anything related)

None of this worked and now I’m out of ideas :cry: Any help would be very appreciated!

Sorry, can’t really help here (don’t know the “normal” flashing process for a PF3 as I don’t own one and didn’t take the time myself to check the flashing script).
But:

That’s probably not surprising. This message is generated by the phone (and not the script). The according command in the flashing script should be something like fastboot reboot-bootloader or simlar…

1 Like

If the issue is that the phone doesn’t reboot into bootloader automatically, you can do this manually by keeping the power button pressed for about 15 seconds (which forces a reboot) and then keeping Volume - pressed while rebooting (which boots the phone into bootloader aka fastboot mode).

Any Windows or Linux computer in sight to try, by chance?

Another thing …

Does fastboot mode really display “DEVICE STATE - unlocked” for you?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.