Fairphone 3+ or FP4 - FPOS, OpenOS, Sailfish OS?

Hey @globetrotterdk

you list “Sailfish OS” for the FP3(+), where did you find that?

It’s not in the #oslist at ✏ Operating Systems for Fairphones

And neither is there any mention of a working version at Sailfish for Fairphone 3

1 Like

I got the impression from the Sailfish OS forum that it was on its way, but I could be wrong… I hope not.

Yes, “on its way” but not there yet. The latest I found was from August 1st

2 Likes

You’ve linked to SF for FP2…?! Was that intentional? For this device there’s already a newer version/topic:

2 Likes

Sorry, that was just me futzing around. New to the forum.

1 Like

Just mentioning that I have made Sailfish OS build for FP3 which had only some small issues but I haven’t made it public yet because I wanted to fix the issues but then too many other projects caused some lack of time to finish it.

10 Likes

Yes, it was intentional, but I got the link wrong, there were a couple of posts in that topic about the status for the FP3 and this would have been the correct link

But then, now we have an update here :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Note that the FP4 is also available with /e/OS and there are some people who want to develop a LOS port for it

2 Likes

(post deleted by author)

4 Likes

Some port of Ubuntu Touch for the FP4 is also in progress :smile:

Preview i got from z3ntu

10 Likes

Thanks for that. I am not a big fan of UbuTouch. I can’t really explain why. Something with web apps not being real apps? I had the original Ubuntu Touch phone, but it has been quite a while…

Thank you for your major contribution in this area, mal. I see in the forum that you are very active with trying to get Sailfish OS on the Fairphone and working properly.

1 Like

My concern is that more and more apps, like parking, banking, small money transaction apps, corona passports, etc. appear to require Google services, which locks us into surveillance capitalism with no obvious way to avoid it. As soon as any of those apps are installed, even using /e/, we are kicked back to basically a bog standard Android OS…

There are always ways :slight_smile: like I don’t use

parking, banking, small money transaction apps, corona passports,

Not everyone’s’ or even many people’s cup of tea or coffee, but that the consumer choice.

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

1 Like

Like that will make any difference :rofl: I think the direction you point out to /e/ etc. is probably the best most can hope for unless they want to engineer their own software and even then they may miss out on lots of apps etc.

(post deleted by author)

Apologies for encouraging off topic issues

It’s a perspective. Laws are not changed by people they are created by people and modified for the best business model…

Laws are not moral or designed for the individuals’ comforts unless that comfort can be sold.

The more laws the more amendments, which are more laws that necessitates more surveillance.

Change yes but

Slavery was abolished in the UK as there was better profit to be made hunting down the slave traders of France and Spain, only possible once the UK had dominion over the North Atlantic ocean.

So Hi @anon93683458 but I’d best not answer your response so please don’t make it too challenging or provocative :slight_smile:
All the best

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

2 Likes

Android is a Linux OS, maybe you mean de-Googled, but I can’t see any of the other Linux OS’s becoming mainstream. I was rooting for Ubuntu Touch, but alas, it’s peripheral.