Fairphone 3 Hotspot

I had “data saving” active which was blocking the hotpspot feature. I turned it off and now my hotspot is activated again.

3 Likes

In case it wasn’t clear: some providers block hotspotting (barbarians!). A VPN can also interfere with connected devices reaching the internet.

I have not had any issues using the hotspot.

Hi everyone!
In my FP3 the hotspot/wifi zone doesn’t work.
Is there anyone who can help me with this problem?

thank you very much.

Hi Margherita,

where do you live, what carrier do you use? Does your mobile phone contract allow Wi-Fi tethering (some don’t)?

What exactly does not work when you switch on the Wi-Fi hotspot?

Best wishes,
Thomas

1 Like

Welcome to the community forum.

I moved your post here to avoid duplicate topics. Please have a look around.

1 Like

Hi Tom,

Thank you very much for your quick response.
I live in Italy, my carrier is coop mobile, I don’t know if it doesn’t support tethering.

It works like I connect my pc to the phone, so the connection between the two devices is ok, but my pc can’t use my fp3 connection. The message on my pc is that there is no internet connection, although it is connected to my phone.

Thanks again,

Marge.

What about this hint? …

And what about this proposed solution? …

In the EU all carriers should allow tethering due to net neutrality regulation :sunglasses:
There shall be no distinction between using mobile data on your phone or on a tethered device. Within fair use ofc. Don’t try to tether a server park to your mobile data :laughing:

You might wanna try deleting your hotspot in your pc settings and reconnecting. Also the APN settings in your phone can give you trouble if they are set wrongly. Maybe check your carrier’s support documentation if you think this is the case.

I’m on O2 UK and previously tried adding “dun” to the list of types in the APN settings and it actually told me that type wasn’t supported on the network. It may have been the same for you.

So it looks like your solution may remove the requirement to add “dun” so I will try it. Meanwhile, adding “dun” to the APN types may solve the issue for others whose provider does allow tethering.

I am in Germany with dual SIM: Telekom.de, 3UK.
USB tethering didn’t work on either SIM, WIFI hotspot didn’t work on either SIM. The PC connects but says “no internet”.
When I physically swap SIM card slots, so 3UK is now in SIM slot 2, I am able to get tethering to work with 3UK. I haven’t tested whether the Telekom.de SIM, now in slot 1, is working.
Hope that info helps someone else.

I can use WiFi hotspot without a problem with a Deutsche Telekom prepaid SIM card. And @teezeh reported no problem with a Deutsche Telekom contract …

Deutsche Telekom seems to have mostly dropped the “T-Mobile” branding in Germany in the meantime … the network name displayed for me is “Telekom.de”.
How old is your SIM card?

You are right, it is telekom. I see the logo and through years of brand promotion, I only think T-Mobile. The SIM is 1month old.
I SHOULD have made it clear… that I haven’t tried tethering with Telekom SIM since swapping SIM slots. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn’t. Right now, I am not going to try any more changes, lest it break. Home office tomorrow!

1 Like

Hey

Issue : I had the same issue whereby tethering hotspot would set up fine, and be recognised but there was no internet connection. I tried connecting an android phone, a windows laptop and a windows PC, same issue - i.e. not the receiving devices. I put my sim in another android phone, the internet connection tethering hotspot worked fine - i.e. issue was not the provider. Hence, issue was with my new fairphone 3.

Scrolling forums : I read with dread at all the techy solutions. Until I saw someone suggesting an OS reinstall and I remembered AHA! I have an update pending. (Yes i did say tech stuff baffles me).

Solution for my case : I did a system update and voila. All works fine for me.

Best

Soup au Rats

1 Like

Changing the Sim slots (switching the SIM I wanted to tether from slot 2 to slot 1) worked for me, thanks @I_Campbell! What if it was easy? :wink:

1 Like

Hallo,
genau damit habe ich Probleme - will sagen Telekom-SIM, MagentaMobil M… aber bei meinen Windows-Rechnern wird bei “WLAN” angezeigt: “Fairphone 3 … Kein Internet, gesichert” … und in den Netzwerk-Einstellungen scheint alles ok zu sein… das FP selbst hat auch Internet-Verbindung!

Dieselbe SIM-Karte mit demselben Tarif war vorher in meinem CAT S60 - und alles lief auf Anhieb bestens (und das hat sich auch nicht beim S60 geändert).

Any idea?

Similar issue to me: used the same SIM (Telekom, with large plan) on FP3 and on older Sony phone. Hotspot works perfectly on Sony, while on FP3 is continuously interrupting, latest after a minute or so. I need to reconnect all the time which is extremely annoying.

How usual is it to get bad signal strength from a fp3 hotspot in the same room? Like 25-33% a lot of the time but sometimes 70% (using command line, meaning a couple bars on the WiFi logo). Usually on 5GHz. Barely any other WiFi routers around to clash…?

Hi everyone,

My setup: Fairphone3, France, Bouygues Telecom

I had the same issue (yes, “had”, happy ending for my story) : neither hotspot nor USB tethering working, while the phone had no issue accessing Internet on its own.

Tried a bunch of proposed solutions that did not work. Until I followed @Another link:

https://support.google.com/nexus/forum/AAAANseOu18DRVyGHFAdjA/?hl=en&gpf=%23!topic%2Fnexus%2FDRVyGHFAdjA

What did it for me was changing the APN settings to IPV4 only.

Settings > Network&Internet > Mobile network > Bouygues Telecom (my SIM card) > Advanced > Access Point Names > Bouygues Telecom > Change settings APN protocol and APN roaming protocol to IPv4 only.

I also swapped the SIM cards, which did not work on its own, but might have helped with the IPv4 solution (sorry I’m not going to try swapping again, don’t want to jinx it).

Good luck to anyone with this very frustrating issue and thanks to everyone helping out!

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.