Fairphone 3+, Dead in 3 years

No. It seems to be specific to the main board (“motherboard”) of the FP3, and is only affecting some users. Only Fairphone themselves could have an idea of how many.

1 Like

Hi!

I’ve encountered the same motherboard problem like many here have had as well. My Fairphone 3+ just went dead for no reason, it had 75% battery. Even after buying a new battery and charger, it didn’t work.

There are a lot of my valuable travelling photos on my phone and I really want them back. That’s why I’m thinking about reflowing the motherboard, like @HolosericaCaligo suggested. It seems like the last resort.

I have a few questions about the reflowing procedure:

• I’ve disassembled the phone so there’s only this left. Is this safe to put in the oven? And if not, what do I have to assemble as well? I’m doubting if it’s safe to put in the black wire on the picture. @HolosericaCaligo is that the antenna cable you’re talking about that I should remove? And if so, how do I remove that long black cable?

• About the picture: this is the side that has to be faced DOWNWARDS in the oven, right? @Ehocl

• Other things I should know before I put my motherboard in the oven?

• Also, I’m a little scared of causing fire, even though many people have done this before with motherboards. Is this a legitimate fear, or is there nothing to worry about? I’m using a second hand oven for this that I’ll put on some tiles in the garden (away from flammable material), also for decreasing the smell indoors.

Let me know if you have some advice!

4 Likes

How many FP3 and FP3+ are affected by sudden death?

FP3 or FP3+? Dead or alive? How old?
  • FP3 dead, < 2years
  • FP3 dead, >=2 years
  • FP3 alive, < 2 years
  • FP3 alive, >= 2 years
  • FP3+ dead, < 2years
  • FP3+ dead, >= 2years
  • FP3+ alive, < 2years
  • FP3+ alive, >= 2years
0 voters
3 Likes

Hey, thank you very much for this detaillied information.

I am also frustrated about my dead FP 3, and that I presumably would have to buy a new motherboardd-module (~220€) to get it to work again. That makes from financial view not much sense, and above that, its frustrating to install everything from scratch.

So I am very exited about your attemp of reflowing the mb. And yeah, sad that it broke after a while again. I hope, my , if it ill work again, will while at last one year.

So yeah, my FP wouldn’t run at all, after it turned dead without any warning. Although: since a few weeks before its death, the FP’s flashlight was always flickering, so yeah, I should have think about it. I was about installing a new bottom module, because I had issues with recharging the battery with most cables. They didnt really fit anymore. And sometimes, I had the message, that the FP is connected to a pc via usb, without having a cable plugged in. But before I had the time to get a new bottom module, the FP was dead.

So while deconstructing the FP to clean the contact (as I read in different forums) I realized that I was able to open the bottom module, to clean the usc-C port to the gorund. So yeah, I hope , reflowing the mb will help, and my FP will run again for a while till it can be recycled.

So as far as I understood, i put my mb with all the sd- and simcart slots upside into a oven (appr. 200°C) for 10-15 minutes, and then just let it cool out and built it in, right?

SSo yeah, thank you again very much

1 Like

Hi!

So I tried to reflow the motherboard in the oven twice. I did it twice for 12-15 min on 220 degrees celcius with all plastic parts (the black antenna and plastic stickers) disconnected.

Unfortunately I didn’t have any success.

Luckily there are enough people in this forum and on the internet who had success reflowing the motherboard. So, for people who are still thinking about doing this, you still have a chance of regaining your phone again after this reflowing method recommended by @HolosericaCaligo .

2 Likes

So i tried the oven trick (but i did not remove any plastic parts or antenna, and not sure, how to remove them, could someone explain this to me ?). So yeah, suddenly i could charge the batterie again, and after a while, I turned it on.
The thing is, I got that “Your System is corrupted and not trusted. It wont boot” Message. I get into that fastboot menu, but cant boot the system or get into recovery mode. So I assume, that there is still some physical issue, cause i havnt modded the software at all. I would to reflow it another time, perhaps its not enough. what do the experts think about it? f.e. @HolosericaCaligo ?

And about the other topic: I like the philosophy behind that brand, and I am still willing to support that company. But I am now stuck between the alternative (if reflow or changing microchips wont help) of buying a new MB (appr. 220 €) or buyin a new FP. the thing is, 220 € for such an old device is a bit over the top, especially if I am not sure how long it will stay alive or be supported the next years. On the other hand buyig a complete new device is a problem, because i am totaly satisfied with the power of FP3. I do not need more performance. And the newer FP devices are much to powerful (and expensive for my needs).

Do anyone know, if (and how long) I get warranty on new bought exchange Parts like a MB?

Sorry for my bad language skills, english is not my main language ^^

2 Likes

@Mampfus
Sorry to hear about your FP3. I am no expert in reflowing so I will not comment on that. But, as far as your second question goes, let me share my thoughts.
There are rumours that FP3 is getting Android 14 this year and that this may be the last Android it’s getting. My feeling is then that could give you the gist on the length of support, I say 2026?
Obviously you can shift to alternative ROMS afterwards.
Yet, perhaps it might be also worthwhile checking the market offers for used FP3? The price is similar, approximately 200 hundred euros, but most often sellers add extra accesories and then you have an old FP3 as the bank for spare parts, Offer - Fairphone Community Forum

Still, fingers crossed you manage to get your old phone working.

4 Likes

Some summaries about the software support time are at Purchase decisions for FP3, FP4, FP5 and the following paragraphs.

3 Likes

Thanks. Yeah, I will wait, if some of the experts is willing to support me. And then there is the alternative solution with changing the Quallcom chipset, but for that, I need some professional help from a friend or a phone shop.

So yeah, will see, one of my motivation to get my old phone fixed is to get some data and setup. Since I am using the old Phone of my girlfriend (some old and cheap Xiaome Redmi model from 2019) i can wait. Its a good backup phone

I guess you mix something up with changing the chipset.
The ROM is not the Qualcomm chipset. It is just the operating system software that is updated e.g. monthly, though it is called read only memory.

1 Like

@Jens1 I was referring to this Thread USB control chips: Qualcomm PMI632 and PM8953

Not sure, if that would help, but besides the hardship of doing that step, it seems to be worthy to try

Hi,
My FP3 died, too, after 4 years.
I tried to change the bottom module, in vain.
I disassembled it, following the ifixit guides.
I want to try the reflow method, but these guides stop before disassembling the motherboard, since it is not user replaceable.
Could someone who has succeeded to reflow the motherboard post (or point to) a step by step guide to do that ?
I disassembled the motherboard, by unscrewing two T5 black screws, and carefully declipping the top part.
Then, I removed the antenna wire.
Now I have the motherboard:

• Should I remove the three flat connectors linking the motherboard to the modules ?
  • On the multi pin connector side, should I remove the metal covers covering the circuits ?
  • On the other side, should I remove the two black covers ?
  • In the oven, I understand I should put the motherboard with the multi pin connector down, because it is the other side that must be heated to fix the faulty soldered connexions, is this right ?

Another question: I have an air flow soldering station, would not it be better / safer to use it to heat only the connexions, instead of heating the whole motherboard ?
If yes, where exactly should I heat, and ideallly at what température ? Would it help to add flux to facilitate the reflow ?

As many in this forum, I am a bit disappointed by Fairphone. We do not have statistics, but there seems to be a problem of faulty soldering on at least a batch of FP3; Fairphone should acknowledge the problem and provide the explanations and the means to repair it at a decent price, not for nearly the original price (I paid something like 350 EUR for my FP3 in 2020).

Thanks for your help !

Emmanuel

2 Likes

Just to give one more example, my FP3+ died the same way after 2 years and a few months, too…

This would certainly be the better option in my opinion. The oven was suggested because it is what people have at home. You would need to locate the PM chip that was identified as the most likely candidate. I’m not sure where it is, either you can find the information above in this thread or someone who has diagnosed this more deeply will have to chime in.
For temperature I’d go with what seemed to work in the oven or maybe a little above. As far as I see it, some extra flux should not hurt if it is really a problem with the solder joints. There might even be a chance to get this fixed for real as compared to what the oven and no flux might be able to do.

Edit: If using flux, you should probably try to use the “no-clean” version if you can and want to do more than just data recovery.

2 Likes

here the post of the user who replaced the faulty chip

and ifixit should have details which one it is in pictures (step 10)

3 Likes

Indeed! Most of @emmanuel81 's questions should be answered in that post regarding solder, flux and temperature.

2 Likes

Thanks for your answers, yvmuell and mde, I found indeed nearly evrything in the ifixit teardown.
What I did not find is, on the multipin side of the motherboard, how to remove the metal plate on the right, which covers the supposed faulty circuits I want to heat / reflow.
Should I just “unclip” them by aplying force with a mediator or small lever, or is it glued so that I should heat the plate to remove it ?
One user asked the question in a comment to step 9 in the ifixit teardown page, but got no answer.
I am a bit over cautious here, but I really want to take every precaution so that maybe I can use the phone again.
Emmanuel

1 Like

Well, it did not work, neither with the hot air nor in the oven, it is still dead.
I still think Fairphone should make an effort on this subject.
I acknowledge the good work Fairphone does on the ethical side to source materials and components, but on the long term solidity, there is still work to be done.
I have yet to decide what to do:

• spend 300 EUR to repair it,
  • spend 500 on a Fairphone 4
  • spend 700 on a Fairphone 5
    Right now, I use a nine year old Samsung I was given to temporarily replace my broken FP3, a bit slow and lacking battery life but it still works.
    I might be better off buying a 200 EUR reconditionned Samsung S20 …
1 Like

Hello, very sorry to hear about your phone.
It’s not proper consolation but wanted to mention the current offer for FP3 owners, you can get 40 euros discount for recycling and I believe also 20% discount, please check Fairphone Promotions and Offers - Fairphone, as I am typing from the phone and might get the details off.
Edit. You could also try selling some parts via the forum.

I wouldn’t spend money in a FP3, except if there are 2 years of warranty.

Did you get the 20% off voucher via email? If not, ask the support if there is something possible if you buy a FP4 or FP5.