Fairphone 3+ Camera Speed

Hi @OLLI_S,
I confirm sadly, same here.
5 Seconds between doubletap on power-button to ready-to-shoot-mode. The camera-app (open camera, f-droid) itself starts quicker but the camera isn’t ready before the said 5 sec.
I’m using the FP3+, 18.1-20210915 LineageOS for MicroG.
I checked all settings like hdr (smart/off), camera api (original/2), face detection, flashlight (on/off/auto) and so on- no effect, no change of speed.
I also checked whether “Kamera” or “Open Camera” are battery-optimized but they are not.

BUT:

If I start open camera, so that it’s active and lock the phone and try to start the camera again by double-tapping the power button it will start faster, about 2 or 3 seconds!
At least IF the camera app is the last active app before the the phone went offline. If another app was last active (I mean: in the “foreground”) you get our 5 seconds back…

I am also not content with that.
Did you or somebody else find a satisfying solution?

1 Like

I assume the delay is caused by the fact, that you have to bypass the lockscreen to open the cam when the cam is not already running in the fore. When you open the cam and then shut off the screen there is no need to tap twice, once should suffice

However my camera is always off and no such delay?

I can confirm that. I also got 2-3 seconds when I closed all other apps (including the camera app).

I had the same problem, but for me takings pictures after the app opened was also painfully slow.

I fixed both problems by installing Simple Camera. It doesn’t have a lot of options but it’s so much faster to start and to take a picture. OpenCamera was very slow on my FP3, while it performed “reasonably” well on my old phone.

Just a few more ideas on this.
I’m wondering whether this “launch delay” may be related to available storage?
And also whether you’re saving new photos to internal storage or to SDcard?
And how many photo files do you already have in that folder? If a lot, you might try moving photos to different folders.

A question for those who are experiencing this delay: how long does the camera app take to launch “normally” (i.e. with the phone already unlocked, flush all apps and then tap to launch the app), how long do you wait before the camera is ready to take a picture? On my very standard FP3+ it’s 2s, with Camera or Open Camera the same.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.