FAIRPHONE 3 and 3+ A13 - Fingerprint sensor update

What is the problem? As I understand it, you can unlock the phone by using a fingerprint. And…?

Apparently, some Apps on an unlocked phone cannot use the fingerprint now? And… so what?

Using a fingerprint twice has no obvious additional “security”. A passphrase AND fingerprint YES — but a fingerprint (twice) or the SAME passphrase is absurd.

Similar to using the same passphrase on different sites (or devices, etc.) is a Very Poor Idea, so is using a fingerprint for multiple purposes (on the same device).

What is the problem?

1 Like

Whether the phone is unlocked or not many banking apps are unusable it seems.

1 Like

Get an first answer about new Fingerprintmodul:

5 Likes

but a fingerprint (twice) or the SAME passphrase is absurd.

Well, I’ve got ten different fingers…

1 Like

It’s not twice for the same app.

Once maybe to unlock the phone, and then once each time for maybe six apps.

Each app is checking for security not each other.

As mentioned people can use more than one finger, in fact even the same finger can provide a dozen or more prints. The sensor records some of the print as 256bit or more code and by slightly using a different part of the finger you get a different code.

So if you have problems with the sensor recognising your finger do multiple takes and some when wet etc.

It doesn’t store a picture that could be copied.

1 Like

Thanks for die information!
@Marta_Artigas Any chance you will provide a supported fingerprint sensor sooner or later for FP3 owners?

1 Like

Welcome: Did you see the post three above yours: It’s only 19 hours old ??

2 Likes

Now I did see it - thx :grinning:

1 Like

[…] We have stopped the roll-out (at 10%) of the update, for now, to make sure the information for the end users is well-written and clear enough.

I am very sorry for all the people who are affected by the fingerprint sensor problem. I do not use this, so I have no problem with it. But I am frustrated that I can no longer update. When will the rollout start again?

1 Like

Welcome to the forum.
Like you I don’t use it other than for unlocking the phone, which isn’t affected, however than can be no answer to your question as that depends upon unknow factors.

There are questions:

Has the rollout stopped to provide more info on the download, like a big RED WARNING, in which case it won’t be long but still, if it as ready to relates it would be done. If it’s not ready then we wait for notification and not query why as this just uses more resources of Fairphone

Then of course they could have found a or be looking for a way to enable it’s use which will take some time.

and of course they could be doing both.

However I think the last A11 update has the same security patch 5th June so there’s no worry there: Best check that as I update on the first day, so can’t check.

Also they may be sending it out with the new 5Th July update or even the 5th Aug, if they have to make any real changes, like a also a warning in the OS about the reduced function of the fingerprint sensor

and

There’s quite a few dislike as to how the GUI of A13 looks and works as well, so it isn’t that big a deal really.

All the best

hey amoun thank you for your response. I can understand your description well, however, it is not an answer to my question, and therefore it does not get me anywhere. It is important to say that your concerns are probably not my concerns. I most likely have a different perspective.
I have been waiting a long time for the update to Android 13 that I need. It was announced to distribute it in June. When it comes to adjusting the text in the changelog, this would be a short thing to do (as you write). That’s why I waited a few days now.

Because no date was communicated, I asked. I doubt that I am hindering Fairphone’s process because of this. This is simply my right as a user of such a device.

And whether Android 13 for FF3 is good or bad will be individual, so I ask you not to decide for me from your perspective. I would be thankful for that.

2 Likes

This is a user forum so nobody can answer your question. The only way to get one is in asking the contactsupport

Who’s to say how long and what resources they use? which is no doubt why no date was communicated.

I’m not sure anyone has right, maybe an expectation :frowning:

I hadn’t, I was just informing in advance of other users views. That is the base of the forum, other people’s perspectives, not that I have a problem.

All the best, hope you get what you are looking for soon.

1 Like

This is a user forum so nobody can answer your question. The only way to get one is in asking the contactsupport

I am surprised and also amused. I responded to a message from @Marta_Artigas, who is an employee of Fairphone. And ask a simple question that I’m sure she can answer (if it’s clear). Of course, I can also contact support. However, I decided to contact here. It was an official message and I make a request to this official message. Maybe also in the sense of other users.

Any response other than an answer to my question doesn’t really contribute anything meaningful. If you feel your forum is being disturbed, then I am sorry. I would have appreciated a different tone. I will certainly think twice about a future post.

1 Like

My fingerprint sensor hasn’t been working well since years, so I am not using it already anyways… I hope for updated hardware, so that I maybe can replace the sensor one day with an up-to-date sensor.

People from Fairphone answer very seldom in the forum and the person you replied to is a community manager who cannot answer your question without help… so exactly as the support would do.

When I read your answers, I am surprised you complain about our tone. Good luck with your request.

5 Likes

Yes I’m pretty sure Marta will read this as they created the topic, but they maybe only communicating the official stance and have no say in when and how.

2 Likes

Rollout was stopped tuesday, rollout was active again yesterday. Installation of the update went smoothly. Apps seem to start faster (!) then before, which ist nice. Only issue so far - I don’t use banking apps - is not to be able to use the fingerprint sensor with Bitwarden (which I knew when I installed the update).
IMHO: a fingerprint sensor is a convenience tool only and software that uses a fingerprint sensor only is Broken By Design.

5 Likes

The update (6A.018.0) was available again yesterday evening. There was Information about the fingerprinting sensor not working with some apps (German Changelog). The Update went smoothly, and the phone seems to work fine.

3 Likes