FAIRPHONE 3 and 3+ A13 - Fingerprint sensor update

Who’s to say how long and what resources they use? which is no doubt why no date was communicated.

I’m not sure anyone has right, maybe an expectation :frowning:

I hadn’t, I was just informing in advance of other users views. That is the base of the forum, other people’s perspectives, not that I have a problem.

All the best, hope you get what you are looking for soon.

1 Like

This is a user forum so nobody can answer your question. The only way to get one is in asking the contactsupport

I am surprised and also amused. I responded to a message from @Marta_Artigas, who is an employee of Fairphone. And ask a simple question that I’m sure she can answer (if it’s clear). Of course, I can also contact support. However, I decided to contact here. It was an official message and I make a request to this official message. Maybe also in the sense of other users.

Any response other than an answer to my question doesn’t really contribute anything meaningful. If you feel your forum is being disturbed, then I am sorry. I would have appreciated a different tone. I will certainly think twice about a future post.

1 Like

My fingerprint sensor hasn’t been working well since years, so I am not using it already anyways… I hope for updated hardware, so that I maybe can replace the sensor one day with an up-to-date sensor.

People from Fairphone answer very seldom in the forum and the person you replied to is a community manager who cannot answer your question without help… so exactly as the support would do.

When I read your answers, I am surprised you complain about our tone. Good luck with your request.

5 Likes

Yes I’m pretty sure Marta will read this as they created the topic, but they maybe only communicating the official stance and have no say in when and how.

2 Likes

Rollout was stopped tuesday, rollout was active again yesterday. Installation of the update went smoothly. Apps seem to start faster (!) then before, which ist nice. Only issue so far - I don’t use banking apps - is not to be able to use the fingerprint sensor with Bitwarden (which I knew when I installed the update).
IMHO: a fingerprint sensor is a convenience tool only and software that uses a fingerprint sensor only is Broken By Design.

5 Likes

The update (6A.018.0) was available again yesterday evening. There was Information about the fingerprinting sensor not working with some apps (German Changelog). The Update went smoothly, and the phone seems to work fine.

3 Likes

Before reading this thread, I had I tried to delete the fingerprints stored on my FP3 in order to reset the biometry settings (in Settings > Security > Fingerprint).

I was able to delete Fingerprint 1, but when I now try to delete a fingerprint, it warns me about the deletion, marks it grayed, but doesn’t delete it. I also can’t add new fingerprints (+ Add fingerprint is visible but grayed out).

That is fine. But some people are forced to use those broken-by-design apps for work, so they’re now out of the target audience. Additionally, the fingerprint option provides protection from eavesdropping, allowing you to use things that require extra protection in public. I have used this to transfer money at a yard sale, for instance, which would’ve been a problem for me if I had to use the bank app PIN for that. Not to mention that the passphrase for my password managers long, and I have no problems entering it once or twice a day, but not every time i need a password (which is often in my line of work).

IMHO there is not much of a practical difference between this and planned obsolescence: A feature we use (and some of us need) is being removed due to an update, and if we want to keep using it we are forced to either flash to a custom rom or buy a new phone. It’s just so disappointing.

11 Likes

@tjeb I agree to 100%! You describe my concerns perfectly.

2 Likes

Years ago when still working I cherished the fingerprint sensor on my Lenovo X301 which very conveniently allowed locking/unlocking in public. So I really can understand your/anyone’s frustration, esp. when he/she/d is forced to use the sensor, but that doesn’t invalidate my statement.
Fairphone communicatevely f*cked up badly (again) and has to reevaluate their support strategy regarding Google’s developement processes/goals.

4 Likes

Hi Marta,
It’s really a pitty and a major anger that knowing this, FP still send notification for upgrade with NO warning…
One 1 hand really happy to (hopefully) be allowed to upgrade to Anodroid13 but on the other hand really disappointed of this miscommunication.

1 Like

I tried but didn’t find out how to by my self… please add UBSmobielpass (error) as well as Twint (disabled)

Confirming : after A13 update of my Fp3+, bank applications and password holders can not be open with fingertip. : Enpass and Wise.

this is, obviously, ultimately annoying.

Enpass team writing :

“according to the Android 13 compatibility guidelines, your device may possess class 2 biometric capabilities. However, our system relies on a crypto object that necessitates class 3 biometrics. As a result, if the device only supports class 2 (weaker) biometrics, the Android system will restrict the usage of crypto functions. Consequently, we are unable to extend support for biometric functionality in this scenario.”

I need change the phone (or change to Lneage?).

2 Likes

There is a warning now (sorry only german):

1 Like

This is a bit sad. Was very much looking forward to A13. I have got rather long passwords on my security apps, which are ok to type on desktop, but on the phone - only on rare occasions. Can’t type them each time I need a password, etc.
So that means A11 for the time being, hoping there will be a solution - which doesn’t seem likely atm - and eventually buy a new phone once security updates stop … ;(
Well, FP tries at least.

1 Like

Does anyone know how do I stop this update popping up? Is disabling ‘automatic system updates’ in developer options enough to stop the nag?

1 Like

FP have abandonded A11 so security updates have already stopped unless you are on A13. I think?

Usually that is the case, yes. Most likely there will be no security updates anymore for the A11 branch, except for the PlayStore-updates and apps itself.

So if you want to keep up with security updates - which is very recommended, of course - you most likely have to type the long and complicated passwords :frowning:
Or go with a custom ROM or another phone.