Fairphone 2 touchscreen suddenly freezes

I somehow had something similar even though it hasn’t been as bad as your issue. My FP2 sometimes freezes, when I have to enter the PIN number of my SIM card. But the only thing I have to do is to switch the screen several times on/off and after a while it works again.

Another issue is much more annoying: sometimes, when I am reading something (without touching), the screen content slightly moves up and down. This drives me crazy because you feel so dizzy after a few moments. Does anybody have heard about that issue?

Hi all, I am also still waiting for a reply from FP to my request sent via their website some weeks ago. Telefon is also not working. For a company which transparency is such a high priority… it is so far quite disapointing… Right now, I just want to send my phone (I gave up, it is in a box since weeks, since there is no it works properly…) and get my money back, is that possible?
They can let me know in 3 years when they have made it work… I was happy to support the initiative by paying in advance, waiting for the phone… even accepting some tech issues, as long as they provide good service… but I think my patience is gone now…
Anyone got the money back?

In my first weeks of FP2 use this issue has bugged me numerous times as well. A quick screen-off by the power-button did the trick every time. Hopefully this will be resolved in the future.

Same Problem: I use my FP2 for 5 days now, and this morning it happened for the first time that the display did not respond anymore. Could start my FP2 and see the blue screen. When the screen wanted to disappear and the light became less because I did not anything with it, and I touched the screen, the light became more visible again. So the Screen is still sensitive but nothing more :frowning:
But when I press the start button to either shut down or use the flight mode or to reboot, the screen does not let me react, thus it is not sensitive at all.

Tried to call the support hotline several times, seemed to be busy.

Will send a complaint because I do not want to have such an expensive device which does not work properly.

I have the same problems:

  1. Freezes after first touch while charging with some chargers. (Solution: unplug and press power button twice to turn off and turn on the screen.)
  2. Freezes at random times and I can’t wake it, although sometimes holding the power button for a long time lets me restart it. Just now it froze during a phone call while I was leaving a message on the answering service. After a few minutes when the machine in the other end ended the call the phone woke up again. During this time it reacted to nothing I did, including holding the power button for a long time. The phone was plugged in to my computer in USB charging mode (which so far has not led to problem 1) but it has also been freezing when it was not plugged in. I haven’t yet tried dismantling it and putting it back together.
1 Like

There’s some more discussion on this in the topic below, and there may be some improvement when software update is released.

Sounds like the same issues as are discussed here:

I had this problem now a few times, after a while the display bugs out and scrolls uncontrollably up or down, even if i just hold my finger still pointed at the middle of the screen. For example i use the chrome ap and scroll down, suddenly it scrolls by itself way up and even opens links or pictures i didn’t want to open.
It happens suddenly, becomes stronger with time and even after rebooting it doesn’t allways go away.
It usually happens when i used the phone for a while, i assume it’s connected to heating up.
At some point certain aps become useless (my Deutsch Bahn ap at one point, when i wanted to show my train ticket, unfortunately wouldn’t work properly anymore)

The same thing (I think?) happened to me, so frustrating! Ultimately my screen has gone all static and I can’t use it… waiting for a repair… sorry to not be more help!

Time to leave a comment here myself. As far as I’ve experienced, fairphone seems to underestimate this issue - or why is it that I too am waiting more than three weeks on an answer on a simple support request?

I have had similar problems as described here from day one. Now over a month has passed, several attempts & hours of work invested in getting the phone to work - but it is just not usable.
Here the protocol of my latest attempt after letting it sit for two weeks with fully died down battery, inserted a new SIM in slot 1, charge at usb for 30 minutes and unplug.

I start the phone. I am able to use it perfectly fine for a while. I use that time to adjust the touch&hold setting to medium since that had been previously suggested. I try to answer a few of my 400+ whatsapp messages that I am not able to access these days. Aaaand - after what I believe is a very distinct amount of time since switching the phone on, it goes wild. Ghost touches appear all over the screen without me even touching it. There may be reaction to my additional touches, but who knows in that mess. Goes on until I de-activate the screen. And from that point on, when trying to activate the phone again I am not able to get past the lock screen because no reaction to my input whatsoever (no ghost touches either).

This is pretty similar to the last couple times I tried. I have no idea why I can use it perfectly fine for some time and THEN it starts getting unresponsive. Re-mounting the screen did not solve the issue, at least not for good.

Any ideas?

That’s far too long. I guess your e-mail just slipped through …

As you seem to have a major issue, I suppose you’d get a replacement phone as soon as support recognizes your problem. Instead of waiting for an answer, you could call them, which usually turned out to be a lot faster and less complicated than e-mailing.

Hello, I do the same like you, because also on my FP2 the screen frozes, especially when I want to use it, when the battery is charging.
But I’m very happy with my phone, it’s the only little problem!! :slight_smile:

  1. Yes, as I had already figured out, an older 0,7 A charger is the villain.
  2. Now I have tested a while and I think the proximity sensor issue might have been it for me too. I think it became better after I wiped the screen, but the problems didn’t go away. Then I removed the protective plastic from the screen, which I enjoy keeping on for as long as I can on my new products. Since then I haven’t had this problem. Thanks for the pointer Johannes!

I regularly have the frozen screen problem and tried the multiple solutions offered gracefully here on this forum. i wonder why for instance putting the screen off and on and off and on would solve this. because this suggest bad software/hardware combination. I wonder why opening and taking off the screen would solve this; Hardware problem. And even worse suddenly the proximity sensor roars its ugly head again. Oh, why not blame it on the charger, this would give us another couple of weeks trying to figure out what goes wrong. For your information: to the outside world I still blame Google.

My phone works again (for the time being) after beeing repaired and getting a new display. It took several steps, which I want to share here.

I wasn’ t able to use my phone at all, since the display did not react to any touch.
Rebooting (taking battery out), taking the display off and put it in place again did not help anything.
I sent an email request for repair which was not answered within a month.
I finally managed to talk to the support at the phone (the person was very friendly, however there was no comment or apology for not reaction to my email which was definatly received…).
I received a check list via email to which had to answer to confirm that the problem cannot be solved by myself.
They sent a return code and a link to the express courier to pick up my phone.
Phone was picked up and send to the repair center. After approximately one week, my phone was returned!

Gladly, my data is not lost, although I wasn’t able to make a backup with the screen not working.
Now I am looking forward for a second chance with my FP2 :relaxed:


Hey there,

I’ve just received a fresh FP2. Updated it to latest version.
From time to time, the phone seems to freeze (stops responding to touch screen touches, but the animations in status bar go on). I have to put the phone to sleep and wake it again to make the screen work again. No restart is required, luckily.
Anyone with similar problem?

1 Like

Yes, see above (I’ve moved your post to this topic).

This doesn’t seem to be the same problem, since no restart is required. Just putting it to sleep and waking up fixes it.

Some other report the same behaviour in this topic:

Unfortunately this isn’t case for everybody.

1 Like

I see. Thank you. With me it also seems to be charger related (I tried 2 so far, name brands, no luck).

I was in the same situation and now expecting my FP2 back from repair tomorrow or saturday. Your answer still gives me some kind of hope :slight_smile: