Fairphone 2 power button sometimes doesn't function as expected

Hi all, I’m new to the forum and looking for the thoughts of the community on my challenge.

I have a Fairphone 2 which has the blue clip-on cover, with the black frame. The power button on the frame is lose, with only one of the two small clips attached to the frame.

Nevertheless, the button works as expected the majority of the time.

However, sometimes the power button does not work as intended. When it is not working, when I click the button there is no firm “click” response, The phone does register the button push, but there is no tactile response from the key. Almost as if it is stuck or jammed. It doesn’t “spring” back like a clicky button should, and like it normally does.

Has anyone else experienced this before?

I am thinking of a replacement back cover/frame, but I am a little reluctant to make this purchase if the problem is actually with the core module where the internal power button is housed.

Thanks in advance, appreciate your insight and thoughts!

1 Like

Can you not attach the loose clip back to the frame? Gently pushing it into place, perhaps with the help of a not too sharp tip of an object should do. Or is the clip or its counterpart on the frame broken?

You can easily test whether the actual button on the core module works with the case taken off the phone.

If the button on the core module works, and if the button holding part on the frame is intact, you could swap the button parts of the power and camera buttons of the frame, if you want …

2 Likes

Hey, thanks very much for your reply.

One of the poly-carbonate clips on the black frame is broken, so the second tab of the button won’t attach or stay attached. I’m starting to think that’s the issue. I guess my problem is that the cost of a new back cover is a significant cost to test this out.

As I said, you don’t need another case just to test this.
Just take the case off the phone and (carefully) push the button part on the core module directly (emulating what the plastic button part of the case does) and see whether that works convincingly.

Else … If you happen to have fairphoneangels in your vicinity (or if something could be arranged with any of them via postal service), perhaps they could help you out with a case for testing this.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.