Fairphone 2 power button breaking (way too early) - design flaw?

Dear all,

After my Fairphone 1 survived about 2 years until the power button started failing (takes more and more wiggling / pressure to get a response from it), I wanted to replace that, but wanted to have a new phone in case I broke it, instead of ending up phoneless. So I have ordered a Fairphone 2 and got mine early May this year.
I have used the phone pretty normally, I would say - turning the screensaver on/off via the power putton. Sometimes a few dozen times a day, sometimes surely a hundred times.

Much to my dismay, already in August, the FP2 power button started failing in the very same way that my FP1 power button did after 2 years. I have removed the protective cover, and the switch is clearly breaking: The plastic switch beneath the cover doesn’t give the typical micro-switch audible click anymore, and it does not come out the full way, like all the other buttons.
It is just barely not short-circuited all the time, and a strong push on the protective cover’s button will still reach it & activate it.

I still have warranty on my phone, obviously - but I don’t want to send it in without a full backup (different forum topic). I will contact the support.

However, I wanted to know from the community if other people have noticed the same issue - and I wonder if the Fairphone button is flawed by design - given that they seem to be the fastest breaking piece in the phone…

Would the Fairphone developers review their button hardware choice if enough people reported problems?

Kind regards
Lars

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.