Fairphone 2 - list of news coverage and specifications

Afaik all versions of the FP1 came with a 2000 mAh battery (see also specs); did you replace yours with an aftermarket one? I vaguely remember there being high-capacity ones for the phone that the FP1 is based on, but I’ve never seen any that came with EU(-ish) safety certification (which could just be a case of not wanting to go through the certification process, rather than being unsafe). If there is any info on alternative batteries, it would be great to know (as long as people recognise the risks and possible warranty implications)!
Looks like the FP2 will have s a larger battery to compensate somewhat for the larger screen, but I’m not aware of any battery benchmarks being available for the FP2.

1 Like

Hi @laurent_meier, the FP1 had a 2000mAh battery, see the specs.

Big Manufacturers or not, they need to make a profit when selling phones, and Fairphone needs to be sustainable as well. Producing phones is not a charity, but a business and Fairphone aims tzo change to industry by being active in it. Aside from market demands, there are several reasons for the larger screen, as they shared in Community Borrel in Amsterdam and the Fairphone 2 Hands-On in Berlin: One is increasing the chance that spare screens can still be ordered in 5 years to come by going for a popular screen size. Another is a big phone is easier to design so that it is modular and easier to repair.

@RichF I disagree. Please read again what Fairphone is about. I find it puzzling when the success of the device is so easily proclaimed on a single aspect. I personally have the impression the FP2 is a big step forwards, and everything but a fail. Looking at the pre-sale numbers, I have the impression there are a lot of people out there thinking like me.

1 Like

Yes, 500 € is a lot of money but when I see how much an iphone etc. costs (and how many people get a new one every 2 years) it is not so much. (and many “only” pay X € plus monthly installments of 30 - 50 € for their phones, so that is a lot more).
I can imagine that some FP1 users will get the FP2 and therefore sell their FP1, so that is a possibility to get a cheaper one.
It is a pity that the new FP2 will be WITH google playstore preinstalled but I learned that there was no way to do it like with FP1. I hope there will be good support for buyers to get rid of google right away before starting to use it.
Of course the FP2 is bigger than FP1 but I heard that this has to do with the glass and supplying replacements for that. Apparently it cannot be secured to provide glass in the format of the FP1 infinitively, but the format of the FP2 is more common.

Again: yes, 500 € is a lot of money, but have those crying it is toooo much have actually thought about what is in the phone materialistically, and how much research and design etc. are in it?
I know a lot of people that complain that fair traded t-shirts are too expensive and that they get tshirts for 5 -10 € easily elsewhere. But that is one of the aspects of fair trade, isn’t it? Not producing totally cheap any more and hopefully bettering the working / pay situation.

Last point re. design: I hope Fairphone people will reconsider the back of the new FP2. I think it is a cool idea to have it as a removable cover, but make it more recognizable. the FP1 is black and silver with the star-logo. As far as I know the new back cover will be just black. Also on the front the star-logo is missing. And the white lining. Keep something in the design so that you can see right away it’s a fairphone.

3 Likes

I have been at the FP2 Hands-On in Berlin. Really liked the presentation. They were very careful not to make false promises and gave interesting insight into how they are working.

As @Ruth_FP1 said above already, Miquel explained on reason for the larger screen is to make sure we can still get replacement screens in the coming years. It also facilitates repairability and modularity since there simply put is more room inside the device. Personally, i must confess, my personal usage pattern is changing as well and I start seeing the benefit of a larger screen: Be it for reading, showing pictures around or planning my day using the calendar.

I also think that 530€ is a reasonable price. Smartphones are really complicated devices, the very low price some of us are used to with other devices is only possible because of scale, and in that way Fairphone is a very very small company selling only very few devices. All the research, design and ramping up production has to be paid for and that is simple but more expensive if fewer devices are sold. And keep in mind that the profit other manufacturers make with smartphones is very very small. As far as i know, market researches claim, that of the big companies only Samsung and Apple are actúally making money by selling smartphones.

Fairphone on the other side needs to make some profit with the devices, since that is the way they are financing their business.

1 Like

Where you’ve learned that it’s not possible to separate google apps for post installation like the FP1? This aspect interest me a lot because I simply don’t want the google’s stuff on my phone.

P.S. does it work in Australia?

2015-07-20 14:00

it was ~600 on july 16th. FP2 skyrocketting like FP1 back then…

4 Likes

Hello Ben,
with “fail” it was meant the aspect of the OS, not the whole phone, maybe formulated a bit provocative. Whereas, the OS is one of the important ones, like k.o.-criterion. Better could be, if users would have a choice between Android and another OS installed from the beginning.
If the user can change the OS, it is not that worse. With this possibilty, many/ most of the users could probably get along with this.
The selling numbers of Android/ Iphone/ WinPhone are all higher. What do selling numbers tell us?
In the FP2 I see a huge step into the right direction.

Yeah, FP-Team (@anon90052001) - don’t forget to make FP2 design as unique/recognizing as possible:

• the white frame of the FP1 is exellent! I don’t know, how many FP I have seen within seconds, during walking through the streets of Berlin!
  • color concept and distribution of FP1 is very good/unique: what/black/silver with a good ratio, especiall if looking from the side
  • place the FP-Star AND also your FP-Logo at the back-cover!
  • at least the star and if possible also the Fairphone-letters-logo on the front (small is better than without!)

Maybe again make a poll about this if not decided yet?
Where/when we can choose the back-cover, as you mentioned there will be various available?

Cheers, Robert

3 Likes

@ben: Maybe you can share some of the interesting things of the presentation and your personal opinion after your FP2-hands-on, if not done elsewhere?

2 Likes

I’ve written a short report of the community event in Amsterdam which was probably similar to that one in Berlin. That said, I would also be interested in what @ben has to say about the event in Berlin.

1 Like

@therob, @jftr:
I shared my report from the Hands-On here:

3 Likes

too bad i couldn’t come, i prefer ‘holunder’! disclosure: posteo.de also offers a decent mail service. reliable, cheap & secure.

2 Likes

2015-07-21 11:30

1,000 / 24 h : that’s not bad!

4 Likes

Do you only count weekdays? IMO it’s the 6th day already. Still impressive, especially if one has the goal of 15k until November in mind.

i meant well over 1000 within 24 hours. i won’t keep track of days. it’s too tedious. but FP2’s start is impressive, as you say

the contracts are like this: you have to get a contract that is 2 years and cost about 20 euro more a month than the same contract for the same phone plus 100 euro, so you effictevely pay around 600 euro for your phone plus the contracts are always with the most expensive mobile carriers because they also pay the most to apple / other manufacturers for “exclusive” rights to their newest models. You can get a loan for the fairphone and get a contract with a better and cheaper mobile carrier and you will pay much less than with the competition.

that said: i also think the price is too high. for that price you can get a full fledged computer desktop. the fairphone should be made for everybody instead of following the same route apple has took with its phones (prices get higher every year, while the manufacturing costs are actually not higher). i think a mobile phone should be around 300 euro and at the same time be produced as fair as possible. i would rather see a little less fancy schmancy high speed tech, but a focus on the most important thing: core functionality. i get it, that fairphone trys to compete with apple and other manufacturers to be state of the art and also the audience that is interested in fair trade is often those, that have enough money to afford this, but as a message it says: you can only buy fair, if you are rich, and that is not a good message to deliver.

Hello,

at an other closed Topic I asked if Fairphone 2 is rooted again. I also asked the support about this. The answer was, that they can’t answer the question, because it in not decided until now.

regards,
Shiny

1 Like

The main thing here is: Fairphone 2 is getting more expensive in comparison to the first model. However this is exactly due to the fact that manufacturing costs are actually higher.

And they are higher for a reason: Because Fairphone is trying to make it fairer.

One of the above mentioned points where Fairphone is trying to be fairer is the goal to make the phone last longer. Ultimately the fairest phone is the one you don’t need to buy after all. Restricting to core functionality is not the same as getting the cheapest parts available. That would not be fair at all.

2 Likes

you do not get my main point:

i would rather see fair phones for the masses, than fair phones for a few rich people.

you do not know the manufacturing costs of the new model as I do not know as well. i admit that comparing them to apple was a bad argument, but that was born out of frustration at the route they are taking.

i think it is the wrong direction. when other companies like Wiko can produce a very competitive android phone for 200 Euro, why can’t fairphone produce one for 300-400 Euro, that would be 150 more than the other phone, which is completely ok considering its specs and benchmarks. i think the fairphone should focus on building affordable + fair phones.

You have a fair point: Fairness should be inclusive. I totally agree. Unfortunately compromises have to be made in a real world scenario. Fairphone 2 is not 100% fair as is. Maybe compromising fairness even more in favour of a cheaper product would be a good compromise. However I don’t think so: In order to have some impact in terms of showing that a fairer smartphone is possible, Fairphone has to deliver a smartphone meeting certain standards. Saving costs will necessary compromise this (for details read some of the posts in this thread above).

Funny that you would say this. How do you define masses? I’d say “many people”. The most sold smartphones are Apple iPhones and Samsung Galaxy smartphones. Both are very expensive (siginificantly more expensive than Fairphones). So why should this price be too high to appeal to the masses?

Please don’t get me wrong: I totally agree that inclusiveness is important. I’m also not super-rich myself. When I bought my FP1, I would have much rather bought a Motorola Moto G. It is a much better phone for half the price. However I believe in the cause and mission and fortunately was able to save a little in order to afford the higher price tag of a Fairphone 1. Of course not everyone is able to do that and most importantly not everyone is dedicated enough to pay more for virtually the same product just because it is fair. But this is nothing Fairphone can do anything about. Building a fairer phone necessarily incurs higher costs (think of working conditions, etc). Part of the mission of Fairphone is to stop exploiting miners and workers involved in the supply chain. In the end someone has to bridge that gap. And who else would be better to ask than (relatively rich on a global scale) Europeans?

And, last but not least, if Fairphone’s plan works out and Fairphone 2 really lasts twice as long as normal smartphones (5 years compared to the average time of 1.8 years after which users get a new phone), then you will actually save money in the long term by investing in Fairphone 2 because you don’t need to buy a new phone as early.