Fairphone 2 incompatible with android pay

Although Android Pay says it is for kit kat and above Google play says my device is incompatible. Why is this and when will I be able to use it

I seem to recall that Android Pay requires a device with NFC hardware, which neither Fairphone device has.

4 Likes

This is correct. Google bought another company some time ago for their knowledge in near-field communications-based mobile payments platforms. This is all is now known as Android Pay. The phone needs to support β€œNFC (Near Field Communication) and HCE (Host Card Emulation)”. You will not be able to use Android Pay with a FP2.

But as far as I understand the whole concept, QR codes would work as well. It’s nothing fancy, just exchanging a number. But I guess NFC is somehow more fancy and it does not need a display at the POS.

Just out of personal curiosity: For what kind of use case do you need this form of payment? I’m just wondering, because it gives you less control, but you will be tracked even more.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.