Fairphone 2 in water

Hi, I dropped the Fairphone in the water, I had it dried and I rekindled it. For a twice days it worked but the screen had stains, as if it were wet. Then, on the third day, the screen became black. After a few days I tried to turn it on but the screen remained black. But the phone works, when you turn on you hear the typical sound of the ignition. How can I fix it?
Renato.

You might want to check the how to handle water damage.

3 Likes

If you’re lucky only the screen is broken and if you replace it everything will work again.
If your extremely lucky you’ll just have to let the screen dry for a while longer and it will work again too, but since you tried to use it while it was still wet I doubt that.
Make sure at least everything else is really dry before you start your phone again.
And if you tried rice you’ll have to disassemble the phone as far as you can and carefully clean each part.

2 Likes

Thanks, your information will be useful to me. In a few days I try to turn it back on and if the screen is still black I will order one to replace it.
By.

1 Like

Before ordering a new display, you might want to check, if that really will solve your troubles.
Is there one of the #fairphoneangels you could contact? They might be able to test the phone by swapping the display, so you can see for yourself if possibly something else is broken.

A friend with a working FP2 will do of course. Just make really sure the phone is dry before changing displays; as you surely would not want to kill another display and put this friendship to the test. :wink:

2 Likes

You’re right, BertG. I’ll ask a friend that I see next week to try and make the screen swap. At that point mine will surely be dry. :smiley:

1 Like

The same thing happened to me 2 years ago: I dropped my Fairphone in a pond…
I immediately disassembled it and stored the parts in uncooked rice (as I was out camping and had no alternatives). The rice didn’t get everything out, I could still see a lot of moisture in the screen.
When I got home, I borrowed my dad’s hearing-aid dryer, and dried each of the parts overnight (in 2 batches). That really did the trick! No moisture to be seen and a perfectly working screen & phone.

Note: a hearing-aid dryer is designed for removing moisture from electronics and a lot safer/more efficient than a bag of dry rice.

1 Like

Loose rice is especially inefficient, as it’s adding really fine dust to the problem; not exactly a good mix for microelectronics. :wink:

Yeah, you should use salt as more hydrostatic instead :wink:
SCNR, tongue in cheek; don’t do that at home kids…

2 Likes

I agree, I don’t know why most of the videos online recommend that though :slight_smile:

1 Like

thanks to all, I still solved with the change of the display.

2 Likes