Fairphone 1 maintenance comes to an end

Please, you two, don’t attack each other.

I hope that you can find a replacement battery here:

To improve batter life, you should also try to find out the most battery consuming apps and delete them (usual suspects include Facebook and their messenger).

PS: Maybe you even suffer from a wakelock .

5 Likes

I may have gone a little overboard there. My apologies.
But (most) of your arguments have already been said (and repeated) by many people here in this forum.

It sounds so easy; just give people a discount because they are unhappy. It will make them happy again.

But a discount is a cut in price. It is real money. So the money you do not pay, someone else pays. If you do not consider the consequences or show that you understand what they are, then it makes no sense.

Fairphone does not own a money printing press. They have to pay their employees, suppliers etc. etc.

The Fairphone 1 was the first phone (hence the name) by a small Amsterdam startup company. It was a crowd-funded phone. It is the first attempt ever to make a change in the electronics industry.

You can’t possibly expect them to make a phone that compares to the Samsungs or Apples of this world. You can’t expect them to start handing out gifts to keep people happy and by doing so endangering the existence of the company.

That is why I say; sure, be critical and help make the world a better place. But don’t expect others to perform your wonders.

9 Likes

Wrong: :wink: The Fair Mouse | Nager IT

No, you can expect them to perform even better in some ways: modularity, recyclability, fair wages… :grin: Sure that iPhones and Samsungs mostly do have good quality, but they also come with a bad conscience.

2 Likes

Well, I know it is a rather lengthy thread, but there are quite a few thoughts on this (and other) critical points. So just some keywords on the differences between FP1 and FP2, that should find expression in the support etc. as well:
FP1: Of the shelf phone of a chinese manufacturer, that has gone out of phone-business since.
FP2: Modular phone developed by Fairphone and produced especially for Fairphone according to their specifications. The camera modules have already been updated and a second version of FP2 is already on sale.

For the battery problems, I only can support the link by @Stefan, as one of those batteries is already working fine for me.

5 Likes

Dear Community and also dear Fairphone employers,

I can also contribute with my experiences on the Fairphone 1U. It was my first smartphone I bought in August 2014. I was satisfied with the speed and also thought, that it would be more sustainable, spending a little more money, having an unlocked phone to choose another ROM and be able to replace parts.

Now, in September 2017, my phone went dead. The display froze and although I checked the battery with another fairphone user, nothing worked out. I even unmounted to see, if the switches are probably not working anymore, but sadly, this was not true. So, the mainboard is broken.

I could live with the fact, that the unlock boot was useless for me. Cyanogenmod/Lineage OS is not working on that phone. But not able to provide spare parts after three years? Sorry, but that is not that, what I understand under sustainability. Of course, I understand all that reasons about supply chain management, stock estimations and so on.

I think, also the design of the fairphone has very good aspects, the biggest mistake was using a MediaTek 6589M processor. There is no big support from the community with ports to that chip. I only knew the Xolo Q600 smartphone which is also using the same processor. And this is also the main reasing why it was unachievable to update for Android 4.5 or 5.

So, currently I am working on a backup phone from my sibling, an old HTC Sensation from 2012 with a Qualcomm MSM8260 processor running LineageOS 14 based on Android 7. Of course, I use a customized ROM, HTC stopped with Android 2.3 or so. I let it up to you to judge, what fulfil more aspects concerning sustainability?

Therefore, I am observing the development of providing spare parts for the Fairphone 2. It is nice, that the processor is now from Qualcomm which are more provided support from the community. And it is nice to see, that at least for this, Lineage OS worked out. And the idea is also nice to have a (more) modular phone. But still, I am a little bit careful now and look regularly in the shop, since my Fairphone 1U broke, if spare parts and modules for the Fairphone 2 are available. Because it does not make sense, if you are not able to get some.

That is my humble opinion about that.

Best regards,
LordSnyder

2 Likes

If the screen is intact you could improve on your “sustainability score” by offering it on the #market. Then another FP1 can have a second life.

4 Likes

Dear Stefan,

thank you for the suggestion. But how to make sure, the screen still works, if I cannot validate it due to the defect motherboard?

Best regards,
LordSnyder

Hard to test if you don’t have another FP1 motherboard at hand, but if it didn’t show any weird behaviour before the phone froze and doesn’t have any cracks, then it is likely fine.

2 Likes

You said above that you know another Fairphone user. You could test their motherboard with your screen. Here you can find the iFixit tutorials for dismantling your phone.

2 Likes

Hi, if you think you don’t have the skills to perform the test Stefan suggested (FP1U wasn’t build with modularity in mind) I think a different solution is to try to sell the all phone specifying what happened. Of course more or less at the price of a used display… Also, check the guide on iFixit before trying surgery on your friend’s phone, you could sadly end up with 0 working fairphones. All the best and good luck!

2 Likes

Hi there, my FP1 is still working well but I need a new battery…
Can’t Fairphone propose an alternative battery to the one they sold with the phone ?

Take a look at this posting or the thread it’s in:
https://forum.fairphone.com/t/gb-de-generic-battery-to-replace-fp1-battery-shorter-1-800mah/30590/72?source_topic_id=30482
Beware, the availabilty information in this posting is outdated. All suppliers seem to be stocked again. :wink:

3 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: :de: Enttäuschung über Fairphone 1 End of Life Strategie

We bought a FP1U some three years ago. Though its spec was quite higher than we required, we went for it because of the basic underlying idea of recycling and avoiding unnecessary waste to the planet.

We have been very happy with it until a few days ago, when the battery bloated. Then I started looking for a replacement and, to my despair, I could not. I have read a lot, including the post on using batteries intended for other mobiles. I am unsure about this option - the only one we seem to have now - despite the positive comments of brave FP1 users who risked it. Thanks to them all for sharing their experience :slight_smile:

It is disappointing having a mobile intended to be ecological and, for a small maintenance as it used to be a battery replacement, having to throw the whole device away. However, I am grateful to FairPhone for the idea and for their support, but I think the moment has come when the “markets” make it not feasible to follow this way. It seems the trend now is to manufacture mobiles without a removable battery so the battery manufacturers will be doing something else.

The idea of a sustainable mobile is still good. We need to go after it, but it seems we cannot do it relying on providers who do not care as much about the planet.

2 Likes

Hi @Rafael,

Fairphone’s journey is not an easy one (imho to some extend proven by on the one hand some people complaining about FP but on the other hand nobody having come up with a better concept and company so far).
The end of support for FP1 is a bummer, but FP explained the reasons quite well e.g. in this blog post https://www.fairphone.com/en/2017/07/20/why-we-had-to-stop-supporting-the-fairphone-1/ (as indicated by others but I think reading it cannot be recommended too often) and several forum entries.
I really hope for FP2 production and demand to be stable for the years to come as the more devices and customers there are the easier the spare parts situation will be. And the (maybe a little naive) hope that one day economical, ecological and social sustainability will be more hip than having the slimmest device.

As for your personal situation: FP1 users in the forum are heavily discussing the use of third party batteries. Do you still find their use too risky? Or why do you come to the conclusion that you have to dispose of your FP1?

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply, @maik.

I absolutely agree with you in everything. I am not criticising the company nor the mobile itself, but the economic system they (we all) have to live in.

Yes, I do not consider safe the use of third party batteries when the temperature is not under control, probably the reason why FP will not - very understandably, I would do the same - endorse them. I have read the whole thread and found this helpful workaround, but still there is this honest warning message at the top about its potential risk.
And without a battery I can consider safe, the rest of the device is not useful to me.

1 Like

Ok, I can’t blame you for not giving the generic battery - that works quite well for me - a try. Just keep in mind, that e.g. Samsung, FP and many others had trouble with original batteries as well, so there is no guarantee whatsoever for a battery not bloating; and the generic ones are in use by quite some users for quite a while now.
If you still don’t want to go that way, that’s no reason at all to throw the FP1 in the bin or hand it over to the FP recycling program, as there arre quite a lot of users looking for a new display or other modules. They are eagerly waiting for phones like yours.

So, at least give it a try and offer it on the #market:offered and make someone else happy by giving another phone a longer life.

4 Likes

Hi, @BertG

By all means, in that case I would not throw it literally to the bin - I
am afraid I used the wrong wording -, but offer it to anyone willing to
try. As I said, the main point of my buying a FP was exactly that:
recycling and not throwing away something which can still be used.

6 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Fairphone 3 - Interview of Bas from FrAndroid