Fairness includes the right to form and join unions for the workers who make the phones

This phone cannot call itself fair while workers in the factories where it is made are denied the right to form and join trade unions, and to bargain collectively for their working conditions. You need to make this a central condition, not an aspiration to be achieved some time in the distant future, otherwise Fairphone is built on exploitation and the denial of internationally recognised basic human rights.

See here for info on how Fairphone is working on this.

Of course it is not possible to break up the exploitation, which has been built up for years (starting with colonialism), just with a click of the finger.

It is not easy. You would see this, if you would try yourself to achieve, what Fairphone has achieved so far.

Hi @linda,

I want to point you to our response to this issue about fairness to the workers who make our phones.

Read more here:

Hi @linda,

thanks for sharing your opinion here in the forum. That allows Fairphone and us, the larger community of users, enthusiasts, critiques and supporters to engage in a discussion with you. I think most of us agree that workers rights are a large part of the “fair” aspect. And there is always a better way to do it. Elsewhere Fairphone keeps repeating the Fairphone smartphone is only a first step towards that goal.

Unions in china are to my understanding mostly a legal issue with the local government, or am i wrong?

I am happy for the response on the issue of labour rights. If workers are denied basic rights as the right to be members of a trade union (of their own rights), to make collective agreements, to take action against exploitation etc etc, it is meaningless to call a product made at this factory “fair”.
LabourStart’s engagement in this discussion has made me and several trade union acitivists around the world more aware of the Fairphone initiative. Keep up the good work!

1 Like

I wonder if @linda can be bothered to come back and talk about her point of view.

Why engage in dialogue if you can voice an opinion?

I’ve been a (proud) union member for 40+ years and I do agree that the right to organise is a fundamental requisite for fairness. But I also know that the world is all but fair (which BTW is why we have unions). And I have also learnt that there are degrees of unfairness.

Should @linda return I would very much like to know which union branded mobile phone and/or computer she uses.She couldn’t have posted her message using tools produced under conditions that allows for exploitation and the denial of internationally recognised basic human rights, could she?

Matthew 7:3-5 comes to mind.

For neatness I’m closing this topic as there is also the response from Fairphone thread. You can continue the debate here