Extra dim shortcut gets disabled automatically

As the title states, extra dim shortcut gets disabled by itself after a while.

In my case I have set it to work with the gesture: two fingers swipe up.

Reproduction steps:

1. Go to settings and search for “extra dim”
  2. Press on the line (over the text) to see the advanced settings for extra dim.
  3. Activate the shortcut, and configure to be on gesture.
  4. Do other task for a while, and you’ll see that the shortcut will not toggle extra dim on and off.

Build number:
FP5.TT45.A.141.20240115

I’m on the same build and also losing a setting, in my case one handed mode in accessibility (using 3 button mode)

To avoid issues: @iancu you cannot report bugs to Fairphone support via this user forum. So I suggest to contact support and open a ticket.

@lklaus steps to reproduce are the same for you and shoetcut is also involved? Or does it happen maybe due to rebooting the phone?

Thanks for reply! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Well, this bug is not a such a big deal in the first place. And before reporting it to the support I wanted to find out if there are other people who encountered the same problem.

In regard to rebooting the phone, the answer is no. There is no rebooting involved. I’m just configuring it to use the shortcut to toggle extra dim, however it is lost after a few minutes without doing anything special. (time delayed action)

1 Like

I can confirm your report on my phone… and the prob still goes on since the beginning (meanwhile 4 fw-updates done, yet).

Yvmuell, yes, steps are the same, in settings, activate the slider, it deactivates between minutes and a few hours, no reboot involved. Just hijacked this topic, as i was not sure how/whether to report it, but this gave me a hint… :wink:

2 Likes

If no-one ever reported it…

They fixed the bug that tap to wake was disabled upon reboot quite fast.

2 Likes

All the information that is requested (IMEI etc) every time you want to raise an obvious issue, discourages me from reporting bugs. 80% of the questions are only about “how do we stop fake bug reports”. However, this also ensures that genuine error messages are not reported for the aforementioned reason.

P.S.
And yes, they sometimes fix very quickly… with the exception of the AOD. :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t know if it the same as you describe, but this is the behaviour I have…

The “extra dim” (“Encore moins lumineux” in french) shortcut is always there in the shortcuts.

• when I enable it in a dark room, it works until I go to a lighter place. Then it switches off by itself
  • when I’m in a room full of sun or outside in the day, the shortcut is there but in black, and it’s not possible to enable it.

I was guessing it’s a normal behaviour (who knows?) and I got used to switch it manually after sunset.

1 Like

Perhaps the behavior is intentional in some way, but the fact that it switches off automatically or that the function is greyed out in bright environments contradicts a free choice. Think about the people who are in a bright environment or a dark environment and (nevertheless) want to choose the extra dark mode because of the otherwise higher battery load on the display brightness, especially if they don’t live/work near even a single power outlet.

Trying to follow above mentioned steps I feel the OP does not mean the quick settings when they refer to shortcut, so not sure if maybe the accesbility shortcut irrespective of the function it is used for, has a bug, as for lklaus its another function combined with this accesibilty shortcut (not gesture mode)

I normally never use any of those functions normally.

@iancu horrible way for me this shortcute with gesture, still it seems to work after several minutes. @lklaus for one handed mode without gesture its seems a bit unreliable, however not completley disabled, with button in the navigation bar. Having both in parralel as floating button works so far also after some minutes. Will leave the floating button for some time to see if this changes

1 Like

Indeed, I was referring to the accessibility shortcut.

I’ve just noticed that this option is synced with the Extra dim state, so accessibility shortcut is lost when extra dim goes off due to the light sensor.

Also, seems to be true, that extra dim setting can be enabled only when the front sensor does detect any light.

Overall, for me as user, this is an unnecessary step: to have to interact with an option to access a lower value for the screen brightness. Why’s not part of the brightness slider?

@iancu
Btw: you can add switch to ExtraDimm as QuickTile
(2x pull down notification, tap on pencil icon and drag ExtraDim to Top area where is enabled Tiles)

1 Like

@k3dAR Yes, I’m aware of that as well. Thank you! :grin:

However, as I mentioned before it is unnecessary to add extra option for an action that already exists: it is bloatware.

I would have preferred to have the functionality baked into the stock brightness controller (slider). There are multiple approaches for doing that, to avoid making forcing a lower brightness overall to everyone.

I had this enabled for hours and could always enable both settings using the floating shortcut.

Everyone has its own preferences, so hardly ever all will be happy with the same set-up. And actually to reach the slider you do the same thing than to reach the quick settings tiles, swipe down.

Completely agree, however sharing my feedback for my preference is one of my ways to contribute to the development of this product. To increase my chances that it will be a useful product for myself.

I disagree with that because I already have the most important tiles on the first page, and extra dim is not one of them. However, the brightness slider it is.

And to a point, it is not even a matter of preference, but of usability and efficiently control a setting. If you’ll observe the users behavior, in general they do not usually know what’s better for themselves until they get the chance to experience it. Plus the habits of using it in a certain way.

Tldr:
I’m just sharing my feedback as an attempt to help the team take relevant decisions for my needs.

1 Like

That brings me back to

As its true for feature requests as well.

1 Like