External Display via USB-C port

The one from Lenovo uses Thunderbolt 3 over USB-C, that used to only be available on Intel hardware according to Wikipedia:

Before March 2019, there were no AMD chipsets or computers with Thunderbolt support released or announced due to the certification requirements (Intel did not certify non-Intel platforms).
[…]
As of May 2019, it is possible to have Thunderbolt 3 support on AMD using add-in cards

So far I haven’t found phones with Thunderbolt 3 support, seems unlikely.

The one from Gearlab uses DisplayLink®, so probably no native DisplayPort output either. According to Wikipedia there’s a Android App available here. Have you tried it with that one? :thinking:

1 Like

In developer options, I believe you need to enable:
“Force desktop mode”
“Enable freeform Windows”
“Force activities to be resizeable”

The last one might not be needed.

1 Like

Ok good to know. Thanks you for looking at it :slight_smile:

I just installed DisplayLink Presenter that have the same developer and same description as the demo one, and it is working :partying_face:
No need to open the app, when docking is plugged it just prompt a pop-up asking if I allow screen mirroring, then my phone is duplicated on the external display :smiley:

2 Likes

Dear all,
I registered here to learn more about FP4 display port over USB-C feature.

I have a ASUS SimPro Dock, not a thunderbolt 3 dock but featuring 2 video outputs using either DP/HDMI/VGA. (any combination of 2 of those).

• First connected to HP 24" 1080p screen, the image i have is a weird, stretched out 640x480 image. Same result with either HDMI or VGA input on that display.
  • Same result with a Dell Ultrawide 3440x1440 with the same dock (I don’t have USB-C input directly on that display). Using HDMI.
  • Using FP4 → Dock → DisplayPort cable to that same Dell Ultrawide doesn’t display anything. (display goes into sleep mode).

Both displays tell me the input is “640x480 60Hz”. I can’t understand why. It looks like you all managed to get 1080p out, from what I read here.

If I go into the Developper options, I can get the video to behave as a “second” screen, but still at 640x480x60Hz.
I can connect the FP4 to both screens simultaneously but that just duplicates the same display.

Thank you for any hint you pay have to get a proper resolution.
Olivier

After reading this thread I thought it will be expensive and and time-consuming to get a usb-v to HDMI connection working. But it seems I had luck - the UGREEN USB C Hub worked plug & play without any config.

The UGREEN USB C Hub

• Cost: 28€
  • Mouse & Keyboard: Yes
  • Charging: Yes
  • Horizontal & Landscape: Yes
  • amazon link

I’m very happy with this setup. My mobile gaming/movie station is ready😁

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.