Encryption does not start in LineageOS

Hello,

After much tribulation, I got a new, replacement Fairphone 2 recently and have flashed it with the latest TWRP and LineageOS for FP2. So far everything seems fine except…

After charging my phone to 100% and plugging it into a power source, I went into Settings to start the phone encryption process.

It asked me to enter my unlock pattern, the phone started to reboot with an Android picture for about 1.5 seconds. Then the phone reboot straight back into LineageOS without encrypting my phone.

What is wrong here? How do I get it to encrypt my phone? Thank you very much.

1 Like

Known issue not only in LineageOS. The problem is somehow caused by the new, improved camera modules.
And before you ask … that the phone reboots when it is supposed to shut down is caused by the new camera modules, too :wink: .

• Turn off the phone (reboot to recovery or Fastboot mode and remove the battery).
  • Disassemble the main camera module.
  • Boot the phone without the camera and encrypt, this should work now.
  • Turn off the phone.
  • Reassemble the main camera module.
  • Boot the phone.

And … after successful encryption the phone will shut down if you shut it down at the point where it asks for the encryption password when it boots :wink: .

Edit: If it still wouldn’t encrypt (can happen after a prior failed encryption attempt) …

3 Likes

And before you ask … that the phone reboots when it is supposed to shut down

Haha, I was just about to ask that.

Disassemble the main camera module. Boot the phone without the camera and encrypt, this should work now.

Thank you for the tip, I will give it a try and let you know if it works! (hopefully it won’t fail and force me to reformat the phone…)

Is there really no other way than to disassemble the phone only to encrypt the storage?

Does anybody know if Fairphone is about to adress this issue?

Cheers.

Other trouble connected to the new camera can be avoided by activating the flashlight (for now). I don’t know whether it works for encryption, too.
This should work for encryption, too (it does on Fairphone Open OS 18.10.0 at least, I checked).

Fairphone don’t support LineageOS, the LineageOS community does.
But let’s see whether Fairphone can address the problem in their own OSes and whether LineageOS could profit from that …

https://bugtracker.fairphone.com/project/fairphone-android-7/issue/32

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.