Earphones discontinued

Hi,
I bought the earphones (with wire) early 2020 for my FP3. They lasted less than a year, one of the earthings broke. Then I bought a new pair, and that’s also broken now, the cable connecting the right earphone with the microphone.
Both earphone-sets cannot be repaired, no screws etc.
That’s a bit disappointing, because it would have made sense to make a ,new’ set out of the old half-broken ones.
And now I see the product is not even available any more. Not really big in sustainability.
And no, not interested in spending 100 € on the wireless set, even if they existed in Fairphone-blue. Because they are too expensive and they don’t have a microphone.
So, does anyone still have a pair of the old cable-earphones they want to sell?
And am I missing something or is the earphone-thing really a disappointing story?
thanks.

P.S. couldn’t write in the original earphones thread, it seems closed.

1 Like

Hi a disappointing story for sure.

1 Like

I’ve got a set of modular Earphones lying around somewhere I think. I didn’t use them at all because the sound is… well… bad. But they came for free when I ordered the FP3 so, yeah. If you want to have them just hit me up.

8 Likes

Else, there is the cable available as spare part, not sure if this is what is broken

Edit: did you contact support as this could be a warranty case?

3 Likes

It certainly sounds like a less than ideal experience. But you’re mistaken about one thing:

In fact they seem to have multiple microphones and it is possible to use them for calls, see specs here: TWS Earbuds | Fairphone
(Personally, I’d still not buy them, though.)

5 Likes

Yeah, the cable should still be available and I got one on warranty, too. Unfortunately the solderings within the remote control are the weak point of these headphones. I have repaired my very first cable, but then the housing fell apart while I was outside, then I bought a new cable and that failed after only one or two months of careful use again. That one was replaced in warranty. It’s still on my to-do-list to check this cable for repairability. Usually the ground wire loses contact but these wires are really, really tiny. With the mechanical stress on the cable it’s a wonder actually that they survive for so long. Seeing all this one could understand why they removed the cable in the successor product…

3 Likes

:thinking: Maybe you should see it the other way round: reading all the problems you describe the earphones were probably not as sustainable as they were intended to be. So this is why they are no longer available - and it’s good from a sustainably perspective that only robust devices are kept in store… :thinking:

4 Likes

@t_aus_m that’s really great, thank you! Yes the sound is well not the best, but I mainly use the earphones on walks to listen to podcasts or radio, and for that the sound can be trashy. They also work ok for phonecalls and zoom etc. , then I have my hands free. So I’ll send you a PM. Dankeschön!

@martin_anderseck
Yes, the cable connections are always the problem. The cable with the mike broke or is half broken, so first it was a Wackelkontakt and now the sound is gone completely. I suppose the mike should still work, haven’t tried that yet. but I see no screws on the mike thing I can open.

@Volker Yes, makes sense. “The survival of the fittest” (die am besten angepassten, wird ja immer falsch übersetzt)

@mde thank you, I didn’t know that! But same here, will not really buy them, esp. without trying them on, for fear of them not fitting properly (same with the cable-earphones, right fits, left not really)

@yvmuell thank you for the Hinweis! So that’s the whole cable and I just connect my earphones? Not bad. I think for warranty I’ve had them too long (> 12 months)

OK, so I’ve now replied to all replies in one post hopefully (there was a suggestion that I should do that).
And I think all are German, - but maybe someone who doesn’t speak English can benefit from the chat.

btw. What I like about earphones (compared to headphones): I can just put in one, and have the other ear open for environmental sounds.

Thank you everybody!

2 Likes

It’s two half pieces that are pressed together. You can carefully try to get a fingernail or something like this between the both and then move them apart. This also explains why it didn’t hold that well afterwards anymore because I wanted to avoid glue to be able to open it again if it fails once more… But as mentioned before, this only makes sense if you have a sufficiently small soldering iron available to fix these points.

Is not as for all other things 2 years?

4 Likes

Good question. I knew they had warranty pages up for the different phones, but now I had a look and they indeed have a general warranty page, too …

“Whether it’s one of our smartphones, an accessory or spare part, you will be covered by the 2-year warranty starting from the date of purchase or delivery depending on your circumstances. This covers all manufacturing defects.”

6 Likes

Here’s the thing: iem’s and especially their cables are fragile things. They almost certainly will break in time. If you want a pair to stick with i recommend going for some that have a replaceable cable. Cables are quite well recycled these days. If you don’t mind mediocre sound can suggest kbear’s… Those seem built like a tank and cost like 25 bucks. You can have mine if you want but you’d have to get a cable with a mic.
Wireless buds these days almost always have microphones. Don’t worry about that. They work. Worry about the fact that right now there literally is not a single pair that can be made to last more than a few years at best. That’s if the last thing that fails is the battery. They are all destined for the landfill no matter if they come in a gentle Fairphone blue or a gleaming Apple white.
I personally dislike Fairphone selling earbuds. It is what it is.

1 Like

Thanks again to everyone who contributed to the discussion!
Today I received a pair of the old cable earphones from @t_aus_m , herzlichen Dank!
Also I will look into the warranty thing, maybe I can get the cable and manage to replace it in the broken set, then I have a spare.

5 Likes

My Advice would be
Buy some Modular Inear-Monitor

I got the KZ-ZS10 Pro, You can get a Wired cable, Bluetooth 4.2, Bluetooth 5
My Wired Cable broke after 2 Years and swapped it with a BT5.0 a few Weeks ago.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.