So, new FP4.
- Mobian does not currently work (phone fails to boot).
- Installed /e/OS.
- Configured /e/OS.
- Discover I do not have root - Google getting root, apparently it’s an option in developer builds, but only enabled for dev builds of /e/OS (I have stable).
- Wipe phone, install dev build.
- Realize said option gives root to adb sessions only. AFWall+ still cannot run. Facepalm. Looks like have to go to town with something called Magisk. Not looking forward to reconfiguring everything a second time.
- I can’t bring Signal over to the new phone. The problem is that Signal only understands one phone at a time; if I bring the account over, which I can do, when I wipe /e/OS and install Mobian, I will wipe the phone which holds Signal, so I will then not be able to install Signal on Mobian.
1a. Also, really not happy giving Signal my phone number. Signal jumped the shark about two years ago, so I knew I’d be moving on, now need to investigate Matrix.
The map app on /e/OS is very nice for viewing maps, but the search functionality is absolutely unfit for purpose. Searching for, say, “supermarket”, totally fails - you get no local hits, and it takes you to some supermarket in a town 50 miles away. It’s not usable.
There seems to be no way to remove search and widgets from one of the root/home page screens; I have those on an empty, additional screen, which I do not want.
No shortcut button to enabled/disable GPS - you have to go into settings to toggle.