/e/ (formerly Eelo) first beta is here and it supports FP2!

The /e/ community were the ones who reported this workaround :wink: … before that for us it was powering down from TWRP or from the decryption password prompt, or removing the battery …

5 Likes

Once version 1.0 is here it might really be interesting for “one’s parents for example”. Among other reasons one may be that it’s supposed to come with an integrated app store providing lots of common apps (of course without the need for Google play):

So the use of this sounds easy…

1 Like

That would be great if they really have a lot of apps and if you don’t have to download special apps with another store. I can imagine that it will be difficult to have all the national/regional apps: on the link you sent, some people ask for example for apps for their local public transport.
I look forward to seeing version 1.0!

2 Likes

Hi
I’ve tested /e/ a bit and the new update messed things up again, and I think I want to switch back to LOS+microG
Should it be easy as in wiping the system and installing LOS+microG?
Should be the same as coming from LOS14.1 upgrading to LOS 15.1, right?
Normally a clean flash would be the savest way of course, but would be nice if the app data etc. will be preserved.
Opinions?
Thanks and cheers!

Some ideas why it may be wise to install /e/:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 183 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

No one?
Okay … I think I will try to dirty flash LOSmicroG 14.1 and then do an upgrade to 15.1 in a couple of days…
What could possibly go wrong :sweat_smile:

I don’t think preserving data will work when switching from /e/ to LOS, but you can try. Just make a backup before and if it all fails wipe the phone and make a clean install.

3 Likes

And if it doesn’t, then go back to your previous TWRP backup and save individually your favorite apps e.g. with Titanium backup…

1 Like

Own (Google independent!) app store is now there! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Here are some screenshots of that app store. It’s quite interesting I must say:

The F-Droid Store is of course available on the /e/ store.

Not all infos are stored in the metadata yet it seems, but the /e/ store shows a lot of cool info.

In the F-Droid app there are no trackers, duh!

As an app store F-Droid needs a lot of permissions and because of that it only has a 5/10 score for privacy (first screenshot).

Facebook on the other hand of course has a 0/10 privacy score…

…and lots of trackers.

Compared to F-Droid the /e/ app store has:

• more apps (though lots of apps available on F-Droid are still missing - in turn there seems to be a lot of junk)
  • no inclusion policy - so e.g. proprietary apps are included too.
  • no way to filter out apps with trackers
  • more info about included trackers within the client app (in F-Droid you have to go to the wiki site about the app to find out more info).
  • no way to downgrade apps
  • no info about whether e.g. the servers the app accesses are free software

but some of that may still change.

5 Likes

One additional advantage of /e/ app store compared to F-Droid, Yalp et al is that (because /e/ app store is part of the system) it installs apps even with “install from unknown sources” disabled in security settings.

1 Like

For F-Droid thats also possible if you flash https://f-droid.org/de/packages/org.fdroid.fdroid.privileged.ota/

From what I understood, FPOOS has it preinstalled. And I successfully use it with Lineage OS.

Edit: from some Android version onwards the global “allow unknown sources” option was replaced by a similar setting per app. So one would allow f-droid to install apps. Maybe the priviledged extension becomes obsolete by that?

3 Likes

Nonsense ranking, IMHO.

2 Likes

I agree. If all you go by is permissions and trackers I guess you should rather multiply than add them. 0x5=0

Nice try… although the official Facebook app doesn’t have any external tracker, and that doesn’t qualify it as a 0, exactly… :sweat_smile:

Ponderating privacy is a challenging task, for sure. But c’mon, surely F-Droid is not in the mediocrity.

1 Like

There’s now a (at least test) version of /e/ basing on Android Pie resp lineageOS 16:

5 Likes

Sounds great! How are your experiences so far? Do you think it is possibly to shift from LineageOS16 (+microg) to /e/ Oreo without losing my apps?

I don’t have experiences so far with /e/ Pie. The “official” /e/ OS (Android Nougat) works fine. Shift from LOS16 to /e/ Oreo will probably not work (it’d be a downgrade of Android version). LOS16 to /e/ Android Pie might work without losing apps but I’m not too optimistic…! (I’ve never tried it out)

1 Like