Dull screws in broken off bumps in display

Hi everyone,

We wanted to replace the screen of the fairphone 4. While doing so, we took out 6/8 screws that correspond with the bumps on the other side of the screen. We forgot to take out the remaining 2 screws. While pulling of the screen, the 2 bumps of the screen broke off (because the 2 screws were still in). Now the 2 bumps and corresponding screws are still stuck in the frame, which disables us to place the new screen. As if it couldn’t get any worse, we stupidly dulled the 2 screws, and there is really no way of getting them out. We tried the techniques with tape and a rubber band but this didn’t help. Now it’s up to a point where the screws aren’t even recognizable as screws anymore (:

Hopefully I have explained it clear enough. See pictures for reference.

Does anyone of you have any tips to resolve this issue, or do we need to send in the phone for repair?

Thanks in advance

PS, I am only allowed to upload 1 media file? I have more.

Welcome to the Fairphone community.

I would try to drill the screw head away and then pull out the remaining pieces.

Hi and welcome to the forum

If you a hard edged common bladed screw driver of the ‘correct’ size you may find it can engage with more force in two points and hence add more torque to those points.

The problem with a hex head driver is that the force is spread over 6 points and there is a greater tendency to burr the head.

The screw driver blade must be harder steel that the screw so it will ‘cut’ into the head, it will require some force too.

@Pearl
Unfortunately there doesn’t appear enough metal left of screw to cut a slot across to allow use of flat blade screwdriver to remove and I feel that these two screws will now have to be drilled out. The type of small diamond tipped burs that a dentist uses would make this a fairly simple job.

Do you have a repair café nearby? Could imagine that they deal with these issues on a regular basis and have the tools to handle worn-out screwheads.

1 Like

The idea isn’t to cut a slot manually but to use the force on the blade to ‘cut’ into the remaining head.

Lost track of the number of chassis screws in Nokia N9 in similar circumstances which I have had to drill out over the years, so good luck with that approach.

1 Like

Thank you all for the replies. The repair café couldn’t fix it unfortunately, because there is hardly any metal left. So I will try to drill out the screw today, hopefully that will work.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.