English

Does the FP3 have an FM radio?

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007f05e1cbf960>

1h a day is a joke how? How long do you commute through the woods of Germany? When you’re at home or at work, you can use the available WLAN for the purpose.

Actually, if we could just get rid of DVB-C and FM instead of staying backwards compatible we could reuse the bandwidth (because all the channels are being broadcast non-stop on these spectrums; talk about waste!), stop maintaining the expensive equipment necessary for these ancient techniques, and implement multicasting or on-premise CDNs (which e.g. Netflix happily place at ISPs). Much more efficient.

As for 4G not available everywhere, true, but like I said EDGE is suffice (GPRS is not). I downloaded 128 kbit CBR MP3 almost real-time over 56k6 back in the days.

Finally, it allows for more diversification and less centralization.

Sorry but: how can the FP3 make any use of DAB+?

2 Likes

Reread what I wrote; I never said it did. I said DAB+ serves the same purpose. LTE can perfectly cover that purpose as well; as can EDGE and 3G. 2G (GPRS), not really.

Ehm, in my very humble opinion not for everyone or to be more precise for most users.
If one has the knowledg - i.e. you - it might be true of course.

Finally, I guess it takes just some more time, before an open OS will be available. Though it’s just my optimistic expectation of course.

There has been a quite lengthy discussion on this topic in the forum.
In short: Rooting does void the warranty only insofar, as the damage claimed as a warranty case was caused by rooting the phone. Any damage not caused by rooting the phone is of course still covered by warranty. (“Caused by” would of course include installing apps. that damage the phone by their root access. If that is even possible.)
The warranty therefore says

4.2 The Fairphone Warranty does not cover damage resulting from:

i. The Product has been rooted or unlocked.

And I really doubt, that installing a FM-radio will damage the phone.
But I doubt as well, that rooting the phone alone will solve the FM-radio issue, as the installation of the radio .apk that comes with LineageOS 16.0 unfortunately did not work for @AnotherElk

3 Likes

Basically, FM radio as a technology belongs in a museum now, but it is still available and widely used. There might be areas where you don’t have even 2G reception, but FM radio reception.

It is also annoying that most phones require you to connect the headset. In areas with a strong signal, a finger on the headphone connector would also work (an old Samsung Galaxy S3 with “Spirit” FM app can do that). Or a small piece of wire inside the phone, if it was built that way.

I also would like to have DAB+ in a smartphone, but I haven’t heard of a single model that includes it. There will be 5G broadcast, which is really broadcasting and you don’t have to pay per megabyte or have a sufficient data plan. But I’m curious if it will be free to air or require a subscription.

The best thing I found for mobile streaming is “FM Cube”. “Okay” quality for mobile use, does not use a lot of data, nice selection of stations.

Ain’t that a bit contradictiory in itself?
Just because a technology is old, it does not belong in a museum.
As you rightfully state, it works under almost every condition. E.g. cars usually still have a FM-radio and I love it.

3 Likes

Cars as a technology are as old as FM and belong in a museum as well :wink:

1 Like

First of all, I really don’t understand that kind of argument.

Digression
Second question: Do you really mean cars or rather combustion engines?
Because - even if you would be right - as a means of transport, there is no other technology readily available to replace cars (that is all kinds, like lorries and busses as well).
But don’t let this discurssion drift off now to ecological issues and transportation.

Fact is, that many people - including me - want that kind of technology for their phone (and for the home as well). And many a thing, that once was believed to belong in a museum is facing a revival, because the replacing technology has it’s flaws as well.
So, one should not be too fast in making such kinds of judgement. That’s at least my opinion.

Fact is, that many people - including me - want that kind of technology for their phone (and for the home as well).

I agree with that. FM of course has its flaws, but it can be used without any time limits, and it can always be heard, even without any cell phone contract or data network, and in any “internet storm” scenario as well.

By the way, streaming already accounts for the largest part of internet traffic, which puts an incredible toll on the bandwidth of local gsm/lte/wifi/… cells, and on the bandwidth of backbone connections, which is just as bad as the oh-so-low bandwidth efficiency of FM.

Aaaaanyway… coming back to the initial question: I, too, saw the FM feature when I ordered, and it has importance to me, so I, too, am now quite disappointed. It doesn’t matter where I saw this information, because silently correcting the feature list on the FP website definitely doesn’t suffice after different information has been sent out already.

As to FP’s engagement here: Indeed I don’t expect a response to every post by them, but if there is significant confusion and irritation such as here around the FM topic, which they could swiftly clarify (why are there contradictory specs, is the necessary HW present, are there regional legal restrictions, will future OS updates support the feature, …), then I would definitely expect them to do just that.

7 Likes

100% agreement.
Some resellers’ websites even still list FM-radio (just checked the UK’s phone coop).

According to @Monica.Ciovica , Fairphone will work on at least harmonizing the informations out there.

If they do so, they for sure should make it a blog entry and clarify things for current users.
And I really would love to get some information, if the FM-radio could be added by software-update in the future.

6 Likes

Dear all,

I know that does not contribute directly to this issue but I want to highlight that I really considered buying the new Fairphone 3. Seeing how this issue is dealt with by the FP team, I decided not to do so. The information policy is not up to my expectations considering that the community is really active!

By the way: I think it should be an individual choice whether or not someone considers FM a necessity. There are definitely reasons why FM should be preferred - not least because streaming contributes to climate change…

3 Likes

While I understand your decision and don’t mean to challenge it, I would like to point out some things:

• Fairphone still is a small company. They have a small team and it seems, they had to tackle some troubles with the phone and delivery. This sure will be keeping them engaged even now.
  • And some resellers simply might not have updated their homepage, though FP informed them of the changes to the feature list.
  • To me the ecological and economical factors by far outweigh those communication-flaws.
    Even more so, since Fairphone on the other hand is much more open than any other company producing and selling phones, like cost-breakdown, suppliers-list, working-conditions etc.

Really one of the most important factors! Saving energy and reducing energy consumption.

1 Like

Funny, when I grew up I remember it being distorted all the time, driving through the country requiring different frequencies in different regions. I remember my alarm clock starting up at morning with FM, and being distorted all the time, too.

My Nokia N900 had a FM transmitter which allowed you to broadcast music to your FM radio (worked great within car).

Anyway, FM stands for a very limited spectrum with a rather limited freedom of speech, with centralized power. I’m not saying now that everyone has a voice via their blog (or podcast, audiobooks, or everything available on Spotify) is always high quality but the wider choice and different way of broadcasting (e.g. via Spotify “mood playlists” though Spotify is not the only or first provider of such feature) is a big up.

I do use FM at work, but that device has a good connection with Lopik, and I really CBA with politics (or genre preferences) about what should be broadcasted.

Sorry but that is just a silly argument. How do you think those FM broadcasts are made? Do you think they’re free? If we wouldn’t use these, we could use that part of the spectrum more efficiently.

Regarding energy consumption.
I can not nail it, but I think to remember, that internet radio and distribution via satellite is way more energy consuming than FM radio (on sender and on receiver side).

True, when travelling, you have to change frequencies, but that’s what RDS is for.
On the other hand, I really love the FM radio programs the way they are.
This way I “learn” things and hear opinions, I would not encounter with preselected special programs. And there are even now quite a lot of different FM radio stations covering lots of preferences (culture, classical music, world-music, news …).
While the multitude of blogs and special interest streams/radios might be considered an advantage for some, it’s not for me.
I rather would guess, it’s part of what’s called filter bubble.
And - as I see or experience it - a multiplication of programs rather decreases the quality. But that’s really just my individual feeling.

1 Like

And back to the beginning: I’ve seen a phone you can buy new now for less that 15 Euro (!) that has this feature present. Of course the smartphone functions are very limited. So it is just a joke when it is missing in any phone nowadays.

Unfortunatley, it is a common “feature” of many smartphones, along with built in battery very difficult to remove, missing sd card slot and missing headphone connector.

I guess I’ll keep my super old phone that I’ve used years ago as a backup/additon when I’m somewhere and want to use fm radio. It also has a decent camera (but I’m really happy with the fairphone 3 camera). Oh, and also led notifications.

1 Like

This is called crippleware. The hardware can feature X (leds blink on messages, play FM-radio). But the manufacturer of the device (fairphone) says no, you don’t get that.

Very sad… :confused:

2 Likes

Except that Fairphone does not have any incentive to make you buy a more expensive product with those features, because such a product doesn’t exist.

2 Likes

They may not have any intention of doing this (I dont think so either), but they do. Other smartphones with snapdragon 632 processor have FM radio. What reason is there for withholding this feature from customers?

Maybe the manpower of the company are not enough. But if they dont talk to the community and make the software open source, nobody can help them.

2 Likes

Every time they say anything here, they’ll be legally bound to that, so you want to be very careful with just spouting anything in the open.

They’ll give priority on issues, probably based on some kind of risk assessment (which includes the impact). The impact of a LED not changing colors or device not having FM, well, for you it appears to be the end of the world. For most users however, it is a minor nuisance at best.

And, yes, it is very likely they’re very busy right now as they just released a new product.

3 Likes

The PF3 servicemenu application indeed contains a FM radio test. You won’t see it though because it was disabled. A comments hint to some kind of noise issue.

This is purely speculation from my part, but maybe this is just a solvable software issue.

2 Likes