Does someone use twitter ? I would like to check something on TW app

Hi,

I have a GAPPS free FP1U.
I installed the twitter 5.47 app via mobogenie.
I can’t manage to activate notification for specific user tweets. I don’t have the option.
I don’t know if it’s a twitter problem, a phone problem, a twitter app problem, a missing GAPPS problem, …

In the twitter help, they talk about a star icon for user notification activation, but don’t see any star :frowning:

Does someone manage to activate it ? I would like to compare configuration.

thx

Hello,

almost every Application using push notifications will need the google cloud messaging service in my opinion besides the play store the only reason to install google services. Some Apps (in fact only Threema come to my mind) offer a poll Option to work without this service but that will drain your battery more and maybe need more traffic, too.

I don’t know any replacement for the GCM, so I don’t think that it will be possible to use notifications for any App without using the google infrastructure. E-Mail should work because IMAP defines its own push standard but most other Apps will use the google service :frowning: .

regards,
Shiny

1 Like

Thanks for your answer.
It’s quite strange.
Notifications work properly with twitter application.
The only thing I can’t do is to activate notification for a specific user (don’t have the small star they mention in twitter help)

Hello,

that sounds really strange. Are you sure that you get live notification and not Notifications after the App has polled data after a fix interval? This screenshot shows a interval option. Maybe it is an effect like the described “Kindle Fire” effect at the end of the article.

regards,
Shiny

I use Twidere from F-Droid. It only gives me a notification if someone mentions me in a tweet (or if I get a PM). I also don’t use Google Apps, so Twidere must work withouth Google Cloud Messaging.

I got notifications at fixed interval yes. And I don’t mind not having live notification. It is not the problem I got.
The problem I got is that I can’t activate notification form a specific user. In the link you gave me, they talk about a star next to the “follow” button. I don’t have any star in my TW app interface.

I would like if someone has it.

Je suppose que tu es français vu le lien que tu as mis :wink:
Le truc c’est que je n’ai pas moyen d’activer les notifications sur un user particulier. Ils disent : "Appuyez sur l’icône en forme d’étoile située à côté du bouton Suivre. Vous recevrez désormais des notifications concernant les Tweets publiés
par ce compte."
Or je n’ai pas cette étoile. Et j’aimerais savoir si je suis un cas isolé ou pas.

Hi,

Ok, so we talked about two different thinks. I was thinking about Push Notifications. Because I don’t use twitter I can’t help you with your client :frowning:. I hope some other user can.

regards,
Shiny

1 Like

I think twidere is also polling. I conclude this because a) I get GCM messages pretty instantly after connecting to a network and b) mentions are coming (much) later.

Without googling for it: I’d be surprised if the native twitter app would use GCM. Why should it, they’ve got capable servers.