Divest OS: Everything about Divest OS on the Fairphones

DivestOS on FP4, re OpenEUICC: I see warnings that it “has stopped” or so but have ignored that for the moment.

eSIM worked without a hitch, I use it for data with a second provider; the physical SIM for phone and texting only.

Updates are smooth from within the system settings, and to know when to update (and for other news) I recommend a site monitor like visualping.

1 Like

FP3: I shifted from Lineage OS to Divest OS yesterday. Everything went good.
I also experienced the “Sending ‘vendor_b’ (1048576 KB) FAILED (remote: ‘data too large’)
fastboot: error: Command failed” error mentioned by @Smojo . Ignored the message as suggested by him and went through with the installation.
I get the “You have installed a differt system” screen when booting. I guess it is so?
Thanks a lot. Coming back to Divest OS. I am happy.

I think is the case for every Custom Rom (every Rom except the original one - Fairphone OS).

I just installed CalyxOS on an FP4 + locked the bootloader again and it it shows that screen as well. I think somewhere in this thread it was already discussed - e.g. here: Divest OS: Everything about Divest OS on the Fairphones - #47 by AvidAlbatross

1 Like

This is an issue with the latest fastboot 34. Version 33.0.3 is recommended.
But it sounds like your install is fine :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello, my adb commands are working fine but I have a problem that when i try to use fastboot commands, nothing happens or it says < waiting for any device > and does not change (tried in the bootloader), I was wondering where I went wrong?

Also, should I update from android 11 (never updated once since i got the phone) to the latest update (android 13) or will there be some anti-rollback feature?

Thank you a lot for the help!

Maybe this thread will help you with this issue: Command "Fastboot device" is not recognising the FP3

But idk if you use Windows as Desktop OS

2 Likes

First try other cable and Ports, else when using windows you most likely need to update the bootloader driver

3 Likes

Hello,

Thanks to all of your help, I managed to finally get the fastboot working by the updating driver.
I am new to android as a whole, so I appreciate your patience and advice in these matters greatly.

One problem I faced is what exactly am I to do with the files given to us,

do I just need to download these on my laptop (yes windows 10)?

Also for the Fairphone version thing, I remember seeing on their website to be cautious of the anti-rollback feature, but I am still not too sure how to act accordingly, what did you guys do?

Thanks for all the help, and I’m looking forward to speaking to you guys again.

Click the linked “install method”

I read that Divest does not have any Network location provider. Is it possible to add some on my own? (Like UnifiedNLP) or is there something which prevents this technically?

Used CalyxOS on the FP4 and somehow used to get a quicker GPS fix. :grin:

@Smojo
NLP is NOT supported, please read Faq - DivestOS Mobile

NLP does NOT speedup GPS TTFF.

1 Like

Thx for pointing to it. Good and detailed FAQ I like that.
A detailed question:

GPS should lock within 2 minutes when outdoors and within 10 minutes indoors. Maximum GPS TTFF is 12.5 minutes due to their orbit and transmission rate.

Does this mean less than 2 minutes is not possible with DivestOS?

or are there any speed up possibilities to get (at least a rough) position in these points?:

• On Tensor devices both PSDS and SUPL can be used to speedup GPS TTFF. It is recommended to disable SUPL on these devices.
  • On newer Qualcomm devices (ones that’d typically use xtra-daemon) SUPL is the only mechanism to obtain the almanac to speedup GPS TTFF. PSDS is not supported. It is not recommended to disable SUPL on these devices as it will cause very long lock times.
  • On older Qualcomm devices (ones that’d typically use libloc) PSDS may work in addition to SUPL to speedup GPS TTFF. It is recommended to disable SUPL on these devices.

In my case it is an FP3. It doesn’t have a Tensor chip. So I can strike out the first one. How do I know if the FP3 is in category old or new Qualcomm device (Snapdragon 632)? :thinking:

If 2min is the best case I have to leave the house 2 min earlier. ^^ quite challenging in a bigger city where life is busy and navigation is needed quite often. :relieved:

Of course it is possible to be quicker, initial lock can be as much lower like 10 seconds. Warm locks can be even quicker.

FP2 is in the old category. FP3 and FP4 are in the new category.
The full list is here: Network Connections - DivestOS Mobile

This is fundamentally how GPS works, the other devices just lie to you by sending your information off to a server to be processed and have that network location injected as GPS output.

3 Likes

Update DivestOS and keeping root worked without issues.

And you were right @SkewedZeppelin restore images was not needed.

So the procedure is simply:

2 Likes

Installed GPSLogger | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository and monitored this a bit.
Inside my house I don’t get a fix at all (waited longer than 15 min) even it shows 8-11 Satellites from time to time (had the phone near to a window), so a bit strange. Will test outsite when I have some time.

@Smojo

I recommend this app for testing: GPSTest | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository

1 Like

77 seconds TTFF when I checked it outdoor today. So less than 2 min :wink:

Indoor it basically stays like this forever (slighty changing the amount of Satellites):

Anyway I understand your argumentation why you don’t add NLP support or things like that, so I will live with that for the time I will go on using DivestOS.

Will you support the FP5 one day as well?

Your post was flagged, as your location is seen, therefore I will remove the screenshot

1 Like

Oh ok, thx. What does it mean in detail?

How gets a post flagged? :thinking:
So the case the Screenshot was showing was the one were my location is not discovered, as I don’t get a GPS Fix indoor.

I dont know what @SkewedZeppelin saw

There is a Flag next to the pencil you csn click on