🇩🇪 🇬🇧 Display not reacting to touch / Display reagiert nicht auf Berührungen [multilingual help pls]

My Fp3 (+ modules) has stopped responding to touch inputs without an incident (no falling, no bumping, no hitting, no getting wet or moist). It has stopped receiving inputs during an action. I just opened an app folder and then I could no longer open the desired app (because there was no input anymore).

I had /e/ OS running, asked about it in the forum and, on their advice, met with a wonderful Fairphone Angel in Vienna. We swapped displays to see if his display would work in my device, but also without success. In turn, my display in his device did not work at all.

The buttons on the side work and there is display output. If I plug in a USB-C mouse I can use the phone (I was able to save some data this way). A Cursors appears and I can use the virtual keyboard this way.

So, what I have already done:

• Swap display - does not work
  • Use another battery - does not work
  • Disassembled five times, cleaned all contacts (also removed each module individually and carefully reassembled) - does not work.
  • Stock Rom flashed - does not work.

Does anyone here have any ideas on what else I can do apart from dismantling the display and cleaning the contacts?

Kind regards

In Deutsch:

Summary

Mein Fp3 (+ Module) hat aufgehört, auf Touch-Eingaben zu reagieren, ohne einen Vorfall (kein Fallen, kein Stoßen, kein Schlagen, kein Nasswerden oder Feuchtigkeit). Es hat aufgehört, Input/Berührungen während einer Aktion zu nehmen. Ich habe gerade einen App-Ordner geöffnet und dann konnte ich die gewünschte App nicht mehr öffnen (weil es keinen Input mehr gab).
Ich hatte /e/ OS laufen, habe im Forum nachgefragt und mich auf deren Rat hin mit einem wunderbaren Fairphone Angel in Wien getroffen. Wir tauschten die Displays aus, um zu sehen, ob sein Display in meinem Gerät funktionieren würde, aber ebenfalls ohne Erfolg. Im Gegenzug funktionierte mein Display in seinem Gerät überhaupt nicht.

Die Tasten an der Seite funktionieren und es gibt einen Displayausgang. Wenn ich eine USB-C-Maus anschließe, kann ich das Telefon benutzen (ich konnte auf diese Weise einige Daten speichern). Ein Cursors erscheint und ich kann die virtuelle Tastatur auf diese Weise benutzen.

Also, was ich schon gemacht habe:

• Display tauschen - geht nicht
  • Anderen/Neuen Akku verwenden - geht nicht.
  • Fünfmal auseinandergebaut, alle Kontakte gereinigt (auch jedes Modul einzeln ausgebaut und vorsichtig wieder zusammengesetzt) - funktioniert nicht.
  • Stock Rom geflasht - funktioniert nicht.

Hat jemand hier eine Idee, was ich außer dem Ausbau des Displays und der Reinigung der Kontakte noch tun kann?

Liebe Grüße

1 Like

I’m not sure what exactly did not work with these two attemtps.

a) His display on your device – only no touch or neither touch nor display signal?
b) Your display on his device – no touch and no display signal?

From what you write, I see more or less all options exhausted. When cross-trying displays on the two devices, did you make sure the plastic clamps clicked in (audibly)? (see iFixit Step 9)

1 Like

Ahh, yeah legitimate question.
Ad a) His display just had the same functionality as mine; Output (signal) good, but no response to touch. So we simply came to the conclusion that it couldn’t be a display problem because it was really the same result as with my display.

ad b) My screen on his device only gave such “fuzzy” screen. But that could be because we didn’t tighten the screws (but we didn’t investigate this any further because it was primarily about testing his screen on my device).

Yeah, all of the plastic clamps clicked in audibly. The Viennese Fairphone Angel just told me to gently press every inch of the frame.

Hmm. That’s kind of sad :frowning:

2 Likes

So, just to give an update.

I found that one pin, which connects the display and the motherboard (core module?), is pressed in. It could, technically, be the one pin that forwards touch-input. The device is already out of warranty and maybe I’ll find a professional to re-solder the pin. Maybe I do not want to send the device to Cordon and have the whole board exchanged, because I probably won’t be able to use the Austrian state repair bonus.

Yaaaaah. Any microsoldering experts in Vienna, Lower Austria here? :slight_smile:

2 Likes