FP2 with OpenFP 16.11
Display settings: Adaptive Brightness on, brightness set to 50%
It takes up to 7 seconds after pressing the power button to adjust to the display brightness settings to a readable brightness.
Especially when I am outside and the sun is out, I turn on the phone, the screen is at like 10% brightness and then it takes up to 7 seconds until the brightness of the display is bright enough to do anything.
This video has been made in the office, so it’s not exactly “outside conditions”. But the first couple of seconds, the screen is so dark you can’t see anything when you’re outside.
Since when does this happen?
I guess it was the update to 16.10, but I am not sure
Why is this a problem?
My phone is never ready for anyhting, unless i keep the display on. You know, it’s like:"Let me quickly look this up for…
20 - darkness
21 - 10%
22 - 10%
23 - 10%
24 - 20%
25 - 30%
26 - 40%
27 - ready for usage
What does this do to me mentally?
Put yourself into these situations:
- Every time you want to accelerate in your car, it takes 7 seconds for it to even register that you pressed the pedal.
- Every time you push the button on the remote of your TV, it takes 7 seconds to change the channel
- Every morning you get to the counter of your favorite bakery you go:“Good Morning.” it takes 7 seconds for the sales person to lift their head to look at you and reply:“Good Morning, what may I serve you with?”
- Every time you call your kids to the food table, they take a minute or so to even respond that they have heard you
How do these things make you feel? I feel annoyed. Very much so.
Often I don’t even take my phone out. I think “I can do that when I am inside”. You know, I don’t even want to activate my phone because I know I will have to wait “a long time” until I can see what’s happeneing.
It should be like:
“Gotta check this real quick”
- whip out phone, press power button, unlock, check “that” real quick, press power button, put phone back in pocket
But now it is like:
"Gotta check this real qui…
7 okay, unlock…
What i tried
- Re-Calibrate the proximity sensor, which i thought maybe has something to do with the brightness sensor - No change
- I do use GravityBox and it does have a brightness settings enhancement, but It changes nothing. It does even say “activate only if the stock auto brightness works without problems”. It doesn’t so it makes sense to keep that off.
- Played with the brightness settings. It does not matter if you have your brightness settings at 0 or 100%. It ALWAYS starts at a very dark state, going up in the last two to three seconds.
- When I turn adaptive brightness off, it will go to the set brightness immediately
- Read in the Forum, many problems with adaptive brightness but never quite the same. Also, no real solutions.
What I need
I need to find out how to fix this. In all my phones, this was something that was never an issue.