Discussion about the Syllucid magnetic cable

Discussion derived from this post

Well got to get one or two or three of these. Putting the FP cable down a peg or two. OK make it a business pack ~ nice presents for family and friends.

Way to go :slight_smile:

UPDATE: Yeap! Put in an order for 10 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Inspired by Fairphone maybe?
In the videos they even show the cable on a Fairphone 3.
:slight_smile:

4 Likes

Itā€™s (former?) Fairphone employees, at least some :wink:

8 Likes

So all this is, is a magnetic cable made of recycled nylon and with fair materials, for 28 (!!) EUR each. I have about 6 of such magnetic cables (2 w/me, 2 near bed, 2 near desk) and yes them being modular and supporting something like QC3 or PD is nice. However, every device you own you need to convert microUSB, USB-C, or lightning to the proprietary magnetic standard. And you keep the magnet in it, so youā€™re going to need more and more magnets (or you gotta take em out which may make you lose them at points). For example, Iā€™m invested in the brand TOPK. Because of increase in USB-C devices I just had to order some more USB-C connectors at like 2 EUR each. With a cable with connector costing about 5 EUR (donā€™t need more cables though). Thereā€™s no way I am going to switch: 1) I already own these TOPK cables, and theyā€™re working, so itā€™d be a waste 2) they are far, far cheaper 3) I donā€™t want to end up with yet another (expensive, proprietary) standard. While the idea of a sustainable magnetic cable is nice the price is far too expensive. Also, mine are USB-A, so if I wanna use USB-C on other end I gotta use USB-A female to USB-C or switch to USB-C to USB-C. Either way, sometimes you wanna load a different device so much that switching the connector and remembering to put it back is cumbersome. At such point you might wanna buy an additional one, and I donā€™t see that option on this page as of yet.

2 Likes

That maybe all it is to the consumer, a cable, but Fairphone is just a phone. Buy a cheaper cable or phone at a quarter of the price that will do much the same, apart from the Fair bit.

Yeap! thatā€™s where my money goes along with my organic food and hemp and linen fabric, OH! and I forgot my organic and Fairtrade rum and . . . .

I do accept that it is a tad embarrassing and painful to pay so much but itā€™s even more embarrassing and painful being unfair to others. :footprints:

EDIT I would like to add the embarrassment of paying more is down to the notion I should always be getting the better deal out of a transaction, I mean who wants to be a loser.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s great, except you end up swapping from a widespread, compatible standard (USB-C) to a proprietary one (Fairphone magnetic cable) where you are forced into 28 EUR/cable + S&H. Given I already find that a hassle with TOPK (but yeah sunk cost fallacy) I say no thank you and recommend against it.

A friend of mine did not find her charger for the phone anymore. I wonder what people are going to do when one day they lose a cable that costs ā‚¬ 28.

Ah, yes. Fair products rule the world. Seriously, selling a cable for ā‚¬ 28 is not a fair deal. In my opinion, those who buy the cable for such a high price are the ones who are unfairly treated, because they feel that it was their mission to ā€œbalance the worldā€ again, willing to pay quite a high price they possibly can afford. And if someone else says that the price was too high, our nowadays killer argument ā€œdonā€™t you want to save our planet?!?ā€ is fired against those who actually would like to, but not under such unfair conditionsā€¦

1 Like

Itā€™s not the world that is out of balance but the individual that doesnā€™t care about the repercussions of their consumerism. Iā€™m vegan not because I care for the environment or the cows but as I care for my intelligence. Itā€™s meditation ~ there is logic everywhere, intellect abounds but very little intelligence directed to that aspired quality of being able to care.

I can count the cost of a cable or the planet but the cost to my intelligence is the overriding concern.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 173 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hi An update

I was due to receive the cables yesterday but apparently the package was opened at customs (UK) and poorly resealed so UPS had a damaged (empty) parcel, a little disappointing but not a great surprise that big companies canā€™t handle small things.

However to my surprise I just recieved a phone call (Netherlands to UK) from the founder of Syllucid, Fabian HĆ¼hne, to explain to me some details and possible explanation and that he will be sending me a new parcel.

Really good customer service, extraordinarily so.

Will update when they arrive about the quality of the product.

4 Likes

Ok the cables have arrived, taken a year :sweat:

Hereā€™s how it looks with a case. So well hidden with the expanded case :slight_smile:

phone

Will write up details on one of my websites and post a link.

Meanwhile here is an image of the connectors ā€¦ .

http://217.155.51.23/newdevices/syllucid.php

All the best

7 Likes

OK THIS is a WARNING

I have problems with my batch of ten cables, the first three four I have somehow trashed. I wonā€™t go over the details here as Iā€™m building detail.

But if you are interested in the detail and my primative analysis you can see it at

http://217.155.51.23/newdevices/syllucid/syl_duff_cable.php

Now the basics are at
http://217.155.51.23/newdevices/syllucid/syl_trashed_cables.php
and all correspondence at
http://217.155.51.23/newdevices/syllucid/syl_emails.php

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.