Discovery about battery power-draining

Hello Fairphone!
I stumbled on this article lately: Canadian team discovers power-draining flaw in most laptop and phone batteries | CBC News
It appears that it is common that the kind of plastic used in the battery casing or the tape used around it leads self-draining their power! The good news is that it’s easy to fix.

Is Fairphone concerned? Could Fairphone check and let us know?

3 Likes

You beat me to it. I first found an article in German on GameStar Tech:
»Total unerwartet:« Forscher entdecken weit verbreiteten Akku-Fehler in Handys und Laptops
That cites the article you found.

We would have to open a ticket to ask Fairphone if they know about this. The discovery is not that new:

Metzger and the team began sharing their discovery publicly in November 2022, in publications and at seminars.

2 Likes

Do you know where to open a ticket?

1 Like

You are posting on an user forum. Fairphone doesn’t read here.
I suggest you write to support. Be aware that it’s very busy at support. So an answer can take a long while.

1 Like

Do you know where to open a ticket?

Fairphone websiteContactCustomer support → scroll down to Ask for further help.

3 Likes

To ask if they are aware, ??? What could they do ?? It’s an old story and down to the battery manufacturers and only effect some batteries and very little at that.

I have an FP3 that is mostly powered off, after powering it on after a couple of weeks it has lost no power. Do you think that is of any concern to anyone.

My daily use which is on 24/7 with Wi-FI uses 1% overnight and can last for 4 to 5 days with light use.

The story is a story and yes there is a loss, but I spent a thousand times more energy answering this.

1 Like

I got a reply from the support:

Thanks for your patience. I have looked into your request and unfortunately I cannot provide you with that level of detail in regards to any of our components.

Our batteries are rated and have a guarantee that they will last for at least a certain amount of cycles, the number of this can differ regarding the device and these details can be found on our website under the technical specifications for the different devices.

Please let me know if you are experiencing any specific issues with your device and I will be happy to look into it for you.

So they are not digging into it, and not relaying to their providers. Which is not unexpected. But they’re available if we have a specific issue.

1 Like

I think the manufacturers are very aware of the issue, it isn’t new. It has just happened be picked up by someone and highlighted for attention . . .

1 Like

I would also assume that most manufacturers are going to adapt their processes quite quickly. Plastic is not a high-tech component, and swapping it for a higher-quality one is probably not that much more expensive either compared to the costs of lithium, cobalt etc..

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.