Directory is read banned

I use the SmartWho File Manager to acces my files as root.
I tried to fix my gps following the steps in this thread: GPS does not work
As i could not download the EPO file i tried to download it as mentioned in the thread and copy it to the folder data/misc

When i opened the folder with SmartWho found the message ther: "Directory is read banned"
It contained no folders (also not /misc) and i could not create a folder.

What can i do?
Hope sbdy can help

Thanx
Roland

Even if FP is rooted this doesnā€™t mean that all file managers can handle file management within system folders. The default manager canā€™t, nor can OI FileManager, Iā€™m not sure about SmartWho.
You can search for file managers with root access in PlayStore or F-Droid. Some people here use CM File Manager, others have mentioned ES File Explorer, I use X-plore

Iā€™m not sure what exactly is your GPS trick (on ā€˜improving GPS via new filesā€™ Iā€™m really sceptical), but if you want to replace a system file, even with a root-capable file manager itā€™s normal you canā€™t write in the system.

Because by default the system is read-only.

To change this you must use a terminal app, and

• issue temporary commands in order to change that (turn the system files read/write),
  • then make your move (if you are really confident, and have a backup),
  • then above all donā€™t forget to switch the system back to read-only (with an inverse command in the terminal).

Iā€™ve done this before, to attempt adding localized keyboard files (which didnā€™t work), but I donā€™t remember the exact command syntax, and donā€™t feel mature anough anyway to give you a ā€˜magic commandā€™ā€¦
Youā€™ll find pages about this when searching ā€œandroid system read-onlyā€.

My personal feeling: the GPS in FP isā€¦ what it is (rather poor indeed), and modifying system files has very little chances to improve this.

BTW, if you still trust this, on F-Droid you have I think a couple of apps that promiss to do things like this, without the need of a term. Search ā€˜GPSā€™ā€¦

By default, yes, but not after youā€™ve allowed root access in the file manager. Iā€™ve copied the EPO files myself using X-plore. However, for this specific task I recommend this app:

Has worked for me instantly every time (when the standard update option fails). You donā€™t have to set it to automatic updates (I donā€™t like them), you can just run the app manually now and then.

2 Likes

Thanx Kgha.

got it to work with fp1-epo-autoupdate and some additional tweaks mentioned by RobDoc in this thread GPS does not work