December Android updates fix critical zero-click RCE flaw

To me, it’s not necessarily about the two clicks per site. The issue to me is mostly “if I’m allowing every site I’m visiting manually, why not just do it by default?”

I tried running Microsoft Defender Application Guard with NoScript once upon a time and while it’s probably the safest way of browsing I’ve ever used, it was also one I had to endure.

I dream every day of a virtualized browser that isn’t slow as hell.

Sorry guys, but the topic is December Android update, nothing else.

5 Likes

I’m very happy to read that releasing updates faster is on the agenda of the developers at Fairphone. A month after Google’s release is too long, we need security patches much sooner than that. Hope they will make it happen!

1 Like

Reminder that vendors actually get early access to the monthly security updates, as in Fairphone should have access to the January and maybe even February 2024 security patches as of today.

I think that was already explained and discused in detail above

11 Likes

Quick update: the software update for Fairphone 5 carrying the December SPL is currently in beta and will be released next week to the general public (likely around the end of the week).

13 Likes

Also in beta since friday for the FP4… (Edit : sorry, my bad, the beta is on the nov’ patch)

4 Likes

That’s truly awesome! :tada: Fairphone is noticeably making progress on all fronts!

4 Likes

Good news! Important step in the right direction, appreciate it.

2 Likes

Agree!
I would also appreciate if the news flashes weren’t exclusively about the FP5… I understand the FP5 is the new darling child, but given the vaunted sustainability of the FP phones, FP4 users are bound to stay around for a while… :smiling_imp:

1 Like

It’s not being forgotten.

2 Likes

I’m a beta tester for the FP4 and I’m on the November patch, not the December patch.

Maybe he meant a closed beta, or maybe I’ve had too many beers tonight. Regardless, the December update should be here for all soon seeing as it’s almost January.

3 Likes

Well I’m sure it will come sooner rather than later, since FP have released it to beta quicker than expected for FP5…

1 Like

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Software update: FP4.TP20.C.087.20231225

Maybe instead of pushing the December updates, it would be better to step to the January patches immediately: Android Security Bulletin—January 2024  |  Android Open Source Project

3 Likes

You can wait of course, until they are released and start to alpha/beta/user test it. When you are done with this procedure, maybe the February patches are released already, so you can wait for them and so on…

2 Likes

Yes, you are absolutely right. If you never roll out a fixed set of fixes you will always be overtaken by the newer patch days.
So, so only thing that would help, is optimizing the release process and the making it faster…

3 Likes

as you can see:
November update 127 be released 11.12.2023
December update 131 be released 29.12.2023

True for the FP5, but unfortunately not for the FP4

3 Likes

I can spoil you by telling you that the beta for the december update is out since yesterday. So it should be out for all “soon”.

2 Likes