Cyanogenmod 11 for Fairphone FP1(U) Install guide + experiences

Haven’t tested, but these might help: http://en.miui.com/thread-5592-1-1.html http://bernaerts.dyndns.org/linux/74-ubuntu/245-ubuntu-precise-install-android-sdk

Do you see any chance in convincing FP to support Cyanogenmod?
This lack of software freedom was one of my main selling points and still is the biggest disappointment by far.

This may spark hope, but only if FP trys to finally keep ther promises!

Could FP please make an (positive :slight_smile: ) statement to this topic?

Anyway, thanks for your work

I think they would be convinced really fast, if it was legally possible. They are actively looking into ways of collaboration with Mediatek:

1 Like

Hi,
did anybody try this CyanogenMod-Installer for Fairphone from the Fdroid-Repo:
https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdfilter=cyano&fdid=org.cyanogenmod.oneclick

The description (below attached) sounds good to me, although I don’t want to be the first to try/brick my phone.

Greetings,
Niklas

CyanogenMod Install HelperOneClickAndroid
has a single function – to guide users to enable “ADB”, a built in
development and debugging tool, and then navigates the user to the
desktop installer. The desktop application then performs the
installation of the CyanogenMod on their Android device.Antifeatures:
NonFreeAdd - installer for non-Free software, and NonFreeDep - requires
another non-free operating system to do the installation.License: Apache2Issue Tracker:

Yes I have installed it, but you can’t go past step 2 because the FP is not officially supported by CM.

1 Like

@matthiss:
I think the problem is always the same as the Ubuntu Touch phone (Ubuntu phone on FP1, (similar hardware as the Aquaris E4.5 Ubuntu)).
once you’ve got the source for the SoC, you’ll need all the other source (camera, GPS, …) to get cyanogenmod working flawless on FP…
and i think that there is something going on with fairphone and cyanogen mod. The FP team never mention the ROM as something possible for our beloved phone (if you read all the statement about the future of FP, you’ll notice that Ubuntu, Firefox OS, are both considered as possibilities…this does not regard the CM).
let’s see what happend with the FP2.
also…the android one project is financed by google…that means money…a lot of (money that mediatek will enjoy a lot! :smile: ). I think that that’s the main reason why android one will have source code released and fairphone will not

I thought that the reply I made into this thread whould show up here as well, so just a brief comment that I posted a possible related issue regarding another custom rom, MIUI, on this other thread.

1 Like

Google says that those MTK Droid Root & Tools are virus-infected… I don’t want to risk my Windows so is there any chance to get this ROM on the FP with official/secure tools?

Maybe they say this to avoid using alternative software? :wink:
If you’re worried about virus and/or malwares you could use a virtual machine on which install this tools, in order to avoid installing them on your main system :smile:

2 Likes

There are no official tools for it. Droid Root & Tools seems fairly stable / secure to me. Check out their thread on xda-developers.com

I moved a post to an existing topic: Questions about Fairphone OS / software development

I moved a post to a new topic: How to restore the default FP1(U) recovery?

CONCERNING STAGEFRIGHT BUG

Hey everyone!
As it is quite unlikely to get a fix for Stagefright bug at this stage I can only recommend everyone still using Cyanogenmod to perform one of these measures:

1. Install App TextSecure and use it as a replacement for your SMS and MMS program. TextSecure is the only alternative SMS / MMS Program I know of, which is by default not prone to attacks using the stagefright bug. See also.
  2. If you would like to keep using Hangouts or the standard SMS / MMS app or any other Messaging App for receiving MMs. Please check, that you have deactivated automatic MMS download.

Anyway: Please don’t open MMS from unknown sources anyway.

Cheers,

Martin

EDIT: Can’t edit my first posting here in the thread to get people to notice it instantly. Could a mod please edit it to let people find this post easier?

AFAIK the Stagefright bug doesn’t involve only content provided through MMS but there are other security flaws which are activated by simply opening bad multimedia content.
Would it be possible to simply copy the corrected Stagefright libraries on a CM installation? Please consider I don’t know so much about CM so I’m simply applying what I did to test the fix before updating to 1.8.7 using a beta released FP OS.
Bye! :smile:

As the sourcefiles of the CM are up on github, one could try applying the commits performed to fix the bug to the Fairphone repository and build a new version. For that you have to find out what the relevant commits are for CM 11 device and kernel source files.
I could give that a try in the next days / weeks, but in all likelyhood I’ll be in the alps for the next days completely off smartphone and computers.
For what I’s worth a testing environment to evaluate the changes would be an optimum, as for me I have no idea right now how to set it up…

Plus: Right now I have no idea how to find out if people are still using CM for Fairphone. If not, I see little use in using my device as a testing device (and possibly bricking it) for an OS, which no one is using anymore.

2 Likes

I understand your point, FWIW I tested the correctness of the patch by installing the Zimperium app and it said I wasn’t affected by the bug, but I don’t know if it is easy to you do the same without the need of rebuilding a CM image.
On top of all I thank you for your efforts and your good job! :smile:
Bye!

1 Like

Hey,

as there seems to be no real interest from the community into a CM 11 fix for FP1, I stopped working on an update. If you want to pick up where I left it, see: https://github.com/mad-de/CM-FP1

If you are in need of a basic fix for CM11, I’d recommend installing that fix:

put file in /system
bash
su
cd /system
patch < stagefright.patch
reboot

3 Likes

I would be highly interested, but afaik, there is no usable version of CM for FP1 yet, is there?

1 Like

I’m using it with less issues than my gf with her FPOS, but that’s just my two cents.Other then that it is and will not (probably) ever be feature complete (bluetooth, video capturing,…) if that’s what you are referring to…

For me not having dual sim is a deal breaker. Or have I missed a fix?