Cyanogenmod 11 for Fairphone FP1(U) Install guide + experiences

Hello, I have two questions:

• What is wrong with using the standard Cyanogenmod installer for this?
  • Is there a way to make this work through Mac OS X?

Thanks!

Hi @Kaspaar The cyanogenmod installer only works for a limited number of devices. Unfortunately not for fairphones by now.

No, there is no way i know of to run Android root and tools, which is essential in a mac. I strongly doubt there will eher be one.

Cheers!

I run Cyanogenmod 11 from nearly 2 months now.
After this experience, I have new points to share :

• the GPS is not accurate. Maybe I need to install few more app to improve it such has Fast GPS… I will test this later :
  • I have installed several Camera Apps, but I regret a little bit the original Fairphone OS Camera App :slight_smile:
  • I don’t use Google Account : I’m using the alternate shop Aptoide
  • to preserve my privacy, I’m using since 2 weeks Xprivacy : it’s look like the ultimate permission remover for Android.
  • the video recording is still crashing. To bad for dailytime short movies…

But even if there are bad sides, I don’t regret my switch to Cyanogenmod because it can be more personalized than FairphoneOS.

2 Likes

And it works fine on FP-OS, too ;).

2 Likes

Have you tried the Privacy Guard Settings, that come with cyanogenmod?

I moved 4 posts to an existing topic: Battery problem after Cherry 1.6 Update (battery might be dying)

did you guys receive some OS update from CyanogenMod during the time you used it on FP?
I switched back to fairphoneOS some months ago but actually, being stuck on jelly bean, is quite a mess :smile:

hoping for something new from the fairphone team in next months.

do you guys think could be possible for FP team to release some hardware upgrade for the phone?
for example: they provide a new screen, size same as the original one but with new and better resolution. Throught iFixit they could provide instruction to replace the screen, and, throught the forum and XDA platform, the “code part” to eventually resolve interface problems (driver issues, troubleshooting, bug fixes, …).
Same thing goes for the camera, the speaker, microphone, … .
Developing the phone this way they could stay true with one of their first assertion “the best phone is the one you already have”, and will help to reduce the electronic waste.

I strongly hope, that someone will bring a CM12 (Android L) to the Mediatek chipset sometime, and that chrmhoffmann will port it to Fairphone…

2 Likes

I’m not really sure but I think I already read an article about lollipop for mediatek SoC…

chrmhoffmann seems to have abandoned his ROM. Is there any chance, that Fairphone takes over and officially supports CM for their devices? This would be a huge selling point for the Fairphone. (For now, there is only one smartphone I know of that comes with CM out of the box, that’s the Oppo N1) More than anything, I am really missing the granular permissions for apps, that CM offers.

Given that the Fairphone community is so small, the number of potential volunteers with the necessary skills is also quite limited, so I really would think that it needs some support from the vendor to get this going anywhere.

4 Likes

Oh no!

I don’t know if this is anything like it, but did you try out XPrivacy?

Disclaimer: haven’t been on CM yet, since I wanted to wait until it’s really solidly ported for the FP. Damn, I was counting on chrmhoffmann …

3 Likes

The problem with these one-man projects really is: You cannot count on them. It can alway happen that someone backs out and looses interest. Happens all the time on xda-developers.

You need a stable team, else that’s just what you have to expect. I really think fairphone should take a more active role in bringing CM to its devices. That would make it truly awesome on the software side!

5 Likes

In my opinion, the problem is that FP as a company seems to rely on people like chrmhoffmann. They obviously have an employee like keesj to serve the hardware with suitable software, but somehow it still depends on community members like chrmhoffmann to port the software to their hardware.
I definitely second that, johannes: FP would be awesome if it supported CM and base their firmware on CM. I`m not sure whether FP as a company needs more resources to achieve this, have other problems or just don’t set the focus on the software. However, I think, that the software is one of the most important drivers to bring an indie-project forward, so they should put extreme focus on that.
Currently, I can’t endorse FP to other friends interested in fair and sustainable electronics because it lacks a software upgrade path. which is necessary to make a product really sustainable. If I was FP, this was my number 1 priority if I wanted the project to survive the next 2 years and to stay true to their values like sustainability.

BTW, I tried Xprivacy now, but it’s not nearly as comfortable like the CM privacy settings. I’m just overwhelmed and have no idea what to allow and what to disallow.

4 Likes

Is there some way to use MTK droid Tools with ubuntu? I couldn’t find anything…

Haven’t tested, but these might help: http://en.miui.com/thread-5592-1-1.html http://bernaerts.dyndns.org/linux/74-ubuntu/245-ubuntu-precise-install-android-sdk

Do you see any chance in convincing FP to support Cyanogenmod?
This lack of software freedom was one of my main selling points and still is the biggest disappointment by far.

This may spark hope, but only if FP trys to finally keep ther promises!

Could FP please make an (positive :slight_smile: ) statement to this topic?

Anyway, thanks for your work

I think they would be convinced really fast, if it was legally possible. They are actively looking into ways of collaboration with Mediatek:

1 Like

Hi,
did anybody try this CyanogenMod-Installer for Fairphone from the Fdroid-Repo:
https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdfilter=cyano&fdid=org.cyanogenmod.oneclick

The description (below attached) sounds good to me, although I don’t want to be the first to try/brick my phone.

Greetings,
Niklas

CyanogenMod Install HelperOneClickAndroid
has a single function – to guide users to enable “ADB”, a built in
development and debugging tool, and then navigates the user to the
desktop installer. The desktop application then performs the
installation of the CyanogenMod on their Android device.Antifeatures:
NonFreeAdd - installer for non-Free software, and NonFreeDep - requires
another non-free operating system to do the installation.License: Apache2Issue Tracker:

Yes I have installed it, but you can’t go past step 2 because the FP is not officially supported by CM.

1 Like

@matthiss:
I think the problem is always the same as the Ubuntu Touch phone (Ubuntu phone on FP1, (similar hardware as the Aquaris E4.5 Ubuntu)).
once you’ve got the source for the SoC, you’ll need all the other source (camera, GPS, …) to get cyanogenmod working flawless on FP…
and i think that there is something going on with fairphone and cyanogen mod. The FP team never mention the ROM as something possible for our beloved phone (if you read all the statement about the future of FP, you’ll notice that Ubuntu, Firefox OS, are both considered as possibilities…this does not regard the CM).
let’s see what happend with the FP2.
also…the android one project is financed by google…that means money…a lot of (money that mediatek will enjoy a lot! :smile: ). I think that that’s the main reason why android one will have source code released and fairphone will not