Cutting out a Micro SIM: Do providers charge for a new SIM?

See link below:

Is a 7-8 years old SIM-card too old? :wink:
Because Base (in Belgium) charges 10€ for a new one, cutting is free.

I would say consider cutting, if you don’t need the mini-sim size anymore.

Thanks jp and Lidwien for the info. I just checked my old phone and it has a mini-SIM in it, so I need to order a new one from Ben or have a phone shop cut it to size for me (I won’t risk scissoring, there’s no cutting grooves for Micro on my mini-SIM).

Well, they have made me a replacement SIM:

And they have charged €10:

The provider is FONIC. Well, if they charge me €10, I will not use a data option there (500 MB for €9.95 without LTE, up to 7.2 Mbit/s). I have something cheaper and better (1 GB for €3.99 with LTE up to 21.1 Mbit/s).

o2 (germany): 24,99€ :frowning:

good idea!

Hi all,
probably here I was the only that I didn’t know this… :sweat_smile:

Previous phone have a standard SIM card so I found that it’s possible pass from SIM to MICROSIM only by cutting the card (with scissors, knife,…).

I haven’t a Microsim to copy the dimensions, but I know that these are 12x15mm (online it’s possible found a lot of pdf with template).

Obviously if you cut the chip it could be a problem… :worried:

Bye.
Akiro

Most phone stores also have special cutters and may let you use them if you ask nicely :smile:

Sorry, I posted this as a thread into “FP2 HELP”, I searched under that forum because I think that’s a problem related to the new device, so I didn’t found this one under “Community”…
Probably better mention it somewhere on “FP2 HELP” ?

You had to pay a new one? Wow.

Swisscom have SIM card punchers (“Stanzgerät”) and will punch out the micro SIM for free.

How much did you pay? A few years ago most providers would want 40 CHF for a SIM card, which is absurd because the chip costs them like 0.10 CHF.

I’m not good at haggling, I went to a phone repair store and they asked €2,50 for the service of cutting. I dared not say I’d rather have it done for free.

2 Likes

I did cut my 10±year-old O2-SIM with a scissor and a template of my 2nd SIM (which has a perforation for this, which I could use as the template)…it was no need to cut the contacts, they just ended exactly at the point, where I wanted to cut…

…and everything went fine, no problems, 5 minutes and 0€ (instead of 25€ from O2).

P.S.: don’t forget to remeber the orientation of the SIM to cut, and at which side the cut-corner is and again should be again…I forget and was a little bit puzzled

1 Like