Contacts lost after upgrade to FP Open 17.06.4

Hi @ThomasAagaard, can you still retrieve all contacts from your SIM card and import them to your contacts app?
This is what worked for me, but then you might find a couple of duplicates which you need to merge… After I was done with that I exported them to the SIM as VCF, so that I can import this file now whenever anything happens… (and unfortunately I still keep losing them at least twice a day, but my VCF backup makes it much easier to retrieve them…)

Hello everyone,

I’m experiencing the same problem here. All my contacts are gone.

-First problem : Lately when i tried to create a new contact, i have been asked if i wanted to sync this new contact with my google or yahoo or another account, no other choices. I didn’t want to sync any contact to any account so i haven’t been able to create new contacts.
-Second and more important : after uprading to Android 6.0.1 or uploading an app from the playstore (i’m not sure exactly when it happened) i lost all my contacts except five recent ones.
I have updated the OS to 17.08.1 but it did nothing for my contacts.
I must say that i always refused to sync my contacts and they are suposedly all on my SIM card (no other backup :frowning:
I have been reading the posts on this thread but i don’t understand most of Catfish and Roboe messages, i am afraid they are too technical for me.
Is there a way i could at least access my contacts on the SIM card ? where should i look ? i haven’t been able to find anything in the settings menus. I keep reading about

how does it work ?

Thanks for your answers

To acces the TWRP-Console, firstly you have to turn off your phone.
Then hold both, the on-Button and the volume-up-button down at once.
The Phone now starts into the TWRP-menu.
It’s quite self-explanatory: Just tap on the “Backup”-Button and safe it to your desired Location.
Then connect your phone to a computer and do what’s mentioned in my posts above.

Hope, that helps.
Best wishes
CS

Edit: changed “volume-down-button” to the correct “volume-up-button”

When I once wasn’t fast enough to disable syncing to Google after a reinstall I noticed that MyPhoneExplorer is able to distinguish between contacts synced with Google and contacts stored locally on the phone.

3 of my contacts didn’t show on the phone anymore, but MyPhoneExplorer listed them separately as Google contacts. With MyPhoneExplorer I could then copy them back to the phone storage from there and could delete them at Google.

Perhaps you could try that.

Here’s an old thread about this, supposedly there are Apps to do it (which the thread doesn’t name) …

https://forum.fairphone.com/t/how-to-access-my-contacts-from-the-sim-card/19039

1 Like

Hi Catfish and AnotherElk. Thanks for your answers.

I have tried to do what Catfish told me to access twrp backup but the screen got stuck on the “Fairphone change is in your hands” page and i had to take the battery off to start the phone again.
Then i installed Myphone explorer and was able to create a local account through another app.
Then with Carte sim et le contact copie i was able copy the content of my Sim on my local account. Job done.
Thanks a lot guys

Pour les francophones exclusifs. Mes contacts avaient disparu mais ils étaient sur ma SIM, je ne pouvais y accéder. D’autre part, je ne pouvais créer de nouveaux contacts sans les synchroniser avec mes comptes yahoo ou Google ce que je ne voulais pas faire. J’ai pu créer un compte local grace à MyPhoneExplorer (lien ci-dessus) puis une autre app dont je ne me souviens plus du nom et ensuite transférer de ma SIM vers mon compte local grâce à l’app Carte Sim et le contact copie Le nom est pourri mais ça marche.

My contact data also suddenly disappeared just now (can see it from the empty call log). I had already updated quite a while ago, so I’m surprised to see this happen just out of nowhere :rage:.

I tried to restore the contacts app and contacts storage from TitaniumBackup, but that didn’t bring my contacts or call log back.

I have now imported and oldish .vcf with my contacts, so it’s not a complete loss, but still very annoying, especially since it seems to happen without a specific trigger. Do I now have to make a new backup each time I change something in my contacts!?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.