I’ve had my FP2 for quite a while now, since Feb 2016, so it’s not the newest anymore. For about 6 months, I’ve been having more and more trouble with it. I currently run FP OpenOS (19.11.2) with OpenGApps pico and a mix of F-Droid and Google Play Store apps. The phone is rooted but not encrypted. I have one SIM card and one SD Card in the phone.
Problems I’m having:
- Apps regularly crash, some almost with every use. Sometimes immediately, sometimes after a few minutes. I don’t think there’s a single app that doesn’t crash, so it doesn’t seem to be connected to specific apps.
- The camera is very unreliable (OpenCamera, upgraded back camera module). Particularly videos are hit or miss, sometimes it doesn’t start recording at all, sometimes the app crashes when I press stop recording at the end of a video, sometimes I press stop recording and then get an Error message. Sometimes I am successful in recording and saving the video, but then when I try to watch it, the image freezes after 5 seconds (sound continues to play though). The only consistent pattern I can discover is that in 9 out of 10 cases, SOMETHING goes wrong, but it isn’t always the same thing.
- Watching videos is also troublesome when they are sent via Threema or Signal. Here the apps either crash when I try to watch a video or the image stops moving after 5 seconds and the sound continues. Sometimes it helps to save the video to Piktures (my gallery app) first and watch from there, but that only works about 50% of the time. Otherwise - same thing, image freezes, sound continues or the app crashes altogether.
- If apps don’t crash, the phone often (multiple times a day) just becomes unresponsive altogether. The screen stays on but doesn’t respond anymore and also doesn’t turn off after several minutes, so I am forced to hold the power button for 12 seconds to reboot the phone.
- The phone reboots randomly and frequently - at least daily, some days up to 10-15 times.
You see, altogether: my phone doesn’t really work anymore at the moment.
What I’ve tried so far:
- I was still on Android 6 for a long time - all of the above problems happened there already - and updated to Android 7 about a month ago in hopes of solving these problems.
- The update did not go very smoothly. I first followed the instructions here, as I have always done (usually successfully). In the process, though, I agreed to install the TWRP App and with that apparently wiped TWRP altogether. I then reinstalled TWRP via Fastboot and did a manual install according to these instructions.
- Somewhere in that process, I lost all of my data from the phone. It was technically backed up with Titanium Backup Pro, but the restore process didn’t really work - that app, too, kept freezing or crashing during the restore process, so that some apps and data were restored, others only incompletely, others not at all. I restarted the restore process multiple times, but every time it would crash/freeze again somewhere during the process.
- I eventually gave up on restoring from Titanium Backup and did a factory reset in Android 7. After that, I reinstalled all of my apps manually from F-Droid/Play Store. The only “old data” left on my phone now is that which is on the SD card (photos/videos, OSMAnd maps, contacts, etc.). Everything else was installed newly.
After that, the problems were better for about 2 days, then the crashes, reboots and unresponsiveness started up again and have become progressively worse. I’ve tried clearing the cache, that doesn’t help either.
I had really hoped that doing a factory reset and reinstalling things manually would take care of the problem, but it hasn’t. I’ve run out of ideas for where to look for the problem or how to resolve it.
What about you guys: any ideas what could be causing these problems? Is there some kind of system “below” the operating system (the SOC, the kernel…?) where there could be a problem and is it possible to do anything about that as a user? Are there logs anywhere to be found to explain the constant app crashes, reboots, freezes, etc.?
I really like my phone and I was really hoping to use it for longer still, but in this state, it is starting to really be unusable…
Thanks in advance for reading this far and helping me out with ideas!