Combining Discounts

Hi,

I just wanted to buy the two + camera modules and there is a €25 discount if you buy both. The terms read “This offer can be combined with other sales promotions or programs.” and I still have my €25 coupon I received because of the delay last year. When I try to add this it says “Coupon code ‘xyz’ is correct” at the top but the total is still €69.90 (i.e., only the “both cameras” discount is considered but not the “delay compensation” discount). Is it possible to use both and if so, what must I do to do that?

Thanks,
Mirko

Hi there and welcome to the community forum!
You might get an answer on this forum, but if you don’t, don’t hesitate to contact Fairphone support. They will give you an official answer.

4 Likes

Thanks alex, I thought maybe they read here, too and their answer would help others but I also now contacted the support.

They don’t read there officially, but once you get your answer, you can post it here and mark it as solution so that others can find it quickly.

1 Like

Hi @MirkoH
Did you get an answer from Fairphone support?
I was thinking about the same combination of camera modules and discounts.

Thanks if you can post an update.
Marcel

They answered me just today. They acknowledge the problem and told me they would get back to me early next week. I’ll give an update over here.

Mirko

3 Likes

Hi, I have the same problem: i have a 25€ discount code and I wanted to combine it with the 25€ offer on the bundle.
I contacted Fairphone’s support the day it was announced. They replied 2 days later that the code cannot be combined with the offer on the bundle…
If they tell you it’s possible please keep us updated, I’m vert interested :wink:

1 Like

Hmm, interesting. This is the relevant portion of the answer I got:

“I have been discussing this issue throughout the week with my colleagues in finance. We are working on a solution for you so that this double-discount isn’t blocked in our online shop. I will contact you again early next week to give you an update.”

Mirko

4 Likes

I still have my €25 coupon I received because of the delay last year.

Thanks for reminding me, forgot I had it!

1 Like

I am fully with you and of course you have the right to all the discounts given to you.

Just keep in mind, that Fairphone has a narrow margin regarding profit.
So, squeezing the last bit of possible discount out of Fairphone - to me - seems a little bit against the aspects of fairness, when in the end Fairphone is creating loss by selling a phone.

Once again: I don’t mean it judgemental but just as a push for thinking about it.

2 Likes

I agree it’s not good to be greedy, especially with a small and likable company like this. I also find these discounts quite generous. When the FP3 was delayed last year, I didn’t even expect anything like this.

On the other hand, I don’t think using them is unfair. It’s not like people redeeming these discounts are unexpected events happening against the company. I would assume that their financial department are aware of the discounts they have granted in the past and that they have been factored into the product’s prices.

Mirko

2 Likes

Valid points by both of you here. :+1: I started to ponder these questions as well this year when Fairphone put out discount code after discount code, especially when those come without any minimum order value and can be combined.

3 Likes

Sure!
That’s why I never would talk of greed on that behalf.
The discounts will be part of the marketing.
I was just having my doubts - as @urs_lesse rightfully stated - about the possibility to combine discounts. Generally companies exclude this option. (Though the discount for delay obviously is something special of course!).

My thoughts were along the line:
I (and that’s me personally) like what FP is doing and I want to support the cause. For making it a success, they have to be profitable and sell products. As the cause is something I really bought into, I ordered two FP1 during crowdfunding phase (my wife still uses hers as everyday phone) and I ordered a FP2 during crowdfunding, when it seemed, they might not reach the goal. And I would want them to profit on my individual order.
(In a way it - to me - feels like the case where someone is willing tip the waiter generously, because the meal was great. But when the bill arrives, the waiter forgot to charge the wine; and presented with an unexpected saving, it is maxed by neither giving tip nor clarifying the mistake. I am aware, that this is something completely different; it’s just my feeling though.)

From their cost breakdown of the Fairphone 3

21% - Operations, Sales and Campaigns

Fairphone invests in campaigns to raise awareness on the problems in electronics supply chains as well as the solutions we see. Additionally, this percentage covers all of our basic operating costs such as our customer service, renting our office and having a great legal, HR and management team.

1% - Profit

This is the money Fairphone generates as profit from selling each device - every phone purchased helps Fairphone to stay independent as a social enterprise, and invest in social and environmental impact.

*This breakdown is based on a sales volume of 100K devices
and a sales price (RRP) of 450€.

If you take this - just basic - cost breakdown, it’s 94.50 € for Operations, Sales and Campaigns and just 4.50 € Profit.
A 50 € discount would be about 53% of the share for operations, sales and campaigns.

You can try if it’s possible to buy a gift card (> Accessories) with your 25€ discount code. The gift card code should then be applicable to pay for the camera modules.

6 Likes

Good idea! Did anyone tried it yet?

1 Like

It was my impression that the shop just cannot handle two discounts in general. I’m not going to test that now that they are trying to fix the problem with my particular discounts.

Mirko

1 Like

Yes, worked for me. I did it on the UK store.

1 Like

Thanks!
Okay so right now I’m going to stare at the wall for hours, wondering if I should buy this upgrade or not.

Just ask yourself, if you - in the past - really have missed a better camera and maybe even thought about a new phone.
If the pictures were OK for you, stop staring at the wall, take a good book (or do something else you like) and save yourself the money and the environment the waste of ressources.
Otherwise … go ahead, grab the discount and sell/give away the old modules in the forum (or elsewhere) or give them to recycling or one of the #fairphoneangels.

5 Likes

Ok, after two attempts and two more emails to support this now seems to work: I was finally able to get both discounts working!

Mirko

3 Likes