Clumsy? Maybe better don't disassemble your Fairphone

Both FP4 I unpacked didn’t come with one :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Fairphone left out the screwdriver from the FP4 package because “customers complained it was included” (claiming it wasteful) with the Fairphone 3 and 3+.

8 Likes

Only the review units for the FP4 came with a screwdriver (the iFixit one, though).

8 Likes

I can really recommend the iFixit Essential Electronics Toolkit (especially for Fairphone Angels):

5 Likes

Dear Discostu36,

seeing those pictures you took, I assume you are not quite used to using either a screwdriver or glue. I hope you accept to leave such repairs to experts. I absolutely confirm your assumption: “It is easy if you are at least vaguely talented in such things. If not, you’ll probably break stuff.” It’s still a complex technical system we are talking about. Once opened, we can simply destroy it e.g. by electrostatic energy from our fingers due to lack of grounding. Not talking about wrong tools (Phillips/Pozidriv, Torx/Allen, inch/metric,…).
The Phones I owned until now were Ericsson, Nokia, Samsung, Blackview and Apple. None of those even got CLOSE to being such easily opened, disassembled and reassembled as my FP2 & 3.
Good luck and may your Fairphone never needs to be opened again!

Take care,
Thomas :slight_smile:

1 Like

Speaking of torx screws: What torx size is used for the main module of the fp4?

Bought!

Mine most certainly didn’t

Yes as clarified by @urs_lesse, post:10

Fairphone left out the screwdriver from the FP4 package because “customers complained it was included” (claiming it wasteful) with the Fairphone 3 and 3+.

I agree that the iFixit tools are extremely useful for such work. I got the iFixit Pro Tech Toolkit for that very reason. It includes JIS bits that slip less in my experience when used on (tiny) PH screws and thus make it less likely to strip them. But it is still important to

1. choose the correct size
  2. be very careful and attentive to slip/cam out and adjust accordingly

In most cases a combination of more pressure and less torque/slower turning of the screw helps, sometimes it is required to adjust the bit size up or down.

2 Likes

My best guess is that small Torx is even harder to come by than small PH drivers. So they might actually have tried to be more “user friendly” by doing this.
But I agree that Torx would probably be the better choice as you can apply more torque and cam out is less likely. When I have a choice for any application, I always choose Torx over PH or PZ now…

2 Likes

The advice to apply a bit more vertical pressure seems spot on to me, yet is sometimes hard to convey to people. I had a fellow Fairphoner here once who actually tried to get out the screws (and back in) by rotating the screwdriver between thumb and index + middle finger and the blunt end of the screwdriver sticking out of the hand.

3 Likes

I bought the iFixit Manta Precision Bit Set some years ago. So far I haven’t found a screw it doesn’t work with. If you regularly open old devices, there are some truly esoteric bits in there :smiley:

As these screws are fairly small you will need a high quality PH00 screwdriver anyway.
I don’t think those are easier to find than a comparable torx one…

I second that :+1:

2 Likes

Just to say thanks, I’ve just ordered the pro iFixit :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Evil iFixit influencers here! :laughing:

4 Likes

Those have a T5 head, just checked.

6 Likes

Yeah, those tiny screws are easy to strip, but mostly if you are using a mismatching/crappy/worn down screwdriver and/or too little pressure.

Also, the FP4 screws are realy tight from the factory and glued down with screw glew (which is a good thing, mut makes disassembly a bit harder).

1 Like

5 posts were split to a new topic: iFixit and gelatine

I have an idea why they do not take Torx screws (without knowing if that is really the reason).
The good thing about Torx screws is also the bad thing about them: it is possible to carry very high torques. If someone is not very careful, the seat of the screw could be damaged. PH00, on the other hand, has a built-in slip clutch, so to speak, which protects against over-tightening torques.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.